Wacky Personal Items/Contraband Found at Encampent

Started by Spaceman3750, December 24, 2010, 02:48:33 AM

davidsinn

Quote from: ol'fido on December 31, 2010, 01:31:40 AM
This didn't happen at encampment, but I got woken up at about 1:30 AM(Note that is AM) and was told, "We found this clip of .45 ammo in a cadets webgear!".

"Well, does he have the .45?" was the only thing my brain could put together at that hour.

Apparently the story was that a cadet officer(who is now a funeral director) found some web gear laying in the middle of the campsite. He started looking through it to try to figure out whose it was and found the ammo, about 6 rds of 230 gr lead ball in a standard GI clip. Well the ammo was confiscated and later disposed of by the cadets squadron commander who was also there. The cadet said he didn't know how it got there except that maybe his little brother had been playing with his web gear.

"Sir, none of my guns are a .45"

.45's don't have clips...
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: Ned on December 31, 2010, 05:58:02 AM
Quote from: davidsinn on December 31, 2010, 05:43:30 AM

Silly rabbit,

Of course they do.
I'll go out on a limb and say he probably means that .45's have magazines. A "clip" is what ammunition like 5.56 or 7.62 originally comes on in the can before you put it into the magazine.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Ned

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on December 31, 2010, 06:01:00 AM

Silly rabbit,

Of course they do.
I'll go out on a limb and say he probably means that .45's have magazines. A "clip" is what ammunition like 5.56 or 7.62 originally comes on in the can before you put it into the magazine.

Did you click the link?

Sometimes I am too subtle, I guess.

Thanks for ruining a perfectly good joke.

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: Ned on December 31, 2010, 06:14:20 AM
Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on December 31, 2010, 06:01:00 AM

Silly rabbit,

Of course they do.

Did you click the link?

Sometimes I am too subtle, I guess.

Thanks for ruining a perfectly good joke.
Ah, I am sorry, I didn't notice it was a link. Good one. I'm sorry I ruined it. Every time I hear or see .45 referenced, I immediately go to the mental image of a .45 ACP, not a .45 revolver. Like they say, the greatest barrier to communication is a difference in personal history. Most of my history with pistols is ACP.

davidsinn

Silly rabbit,

Of course they do.

Cute, sir. ;D I always think the classic Browning design when I see/read .45. Of course Mr. Colt's equalizer did come first...and it was in .45 >:D
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

nesagsar

Unfortunately this .45 thread is now .32 due to being off topic.

NIN

Quote from: DakRadz on December 30, 2010, 09:42:29 PM
So you knew that it was a fake, but your friend didn't?

It's either that, or you thought it would be a good idea to pull the trigger on a random gun you had found in someone's luggage... And that doesn't sound right :D

Of course I knew it was fake. Jeebus, troop, you think I'd be dumb enough to drop the hammer on some random weapon after pulling it out of a guy's duffel bag?

I'm the guy who put the cadet up to bringing the darn thing.  My friend doing the shakedown with me, I'm serious, I thought I might have given the poor guy a heart attack. Woulda sucked to die from a massive coronary at age 20. :)

But: even knowing this was a replica non-firing device (ie. about as inert, maybe even moreso, than a kid's cap gun), I had racked it open, inspected the chamber, it did not have a magazine in it, and when I pulled the trigger it was pointed in a safe direction. As much as I would have liked to have pointed it _at_ my buddy (for maximum gag effect), my training and indoctrination, even at that young age, wouldn't allow it.

Even when being a wise guy, I'm at least mostly safe about it.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

ol'fido

Let me just say that I DO know the difference between a clip and a mag. I just don't worry about it in casual conversation. I forgot that this is CT, the biggest bunch of nitpickers in the world. HNY. ;D
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

DakRadz

Quote from: NIN on December 31, 2010, 07:35:47 AM
Quote from: DakRadz on December 30, 2010, 09:42:29 PM
So you knew that it was a fake, but your friend didn't?

It's either that, or you thought it would be a good idea to pull the trigger on a random gun you had found in someone's luggage... And that doesn't sound right :D

Of course I knew it was fake. Jeebus, troop, you think I'd be dumb enough to drop the hammer on some random weapon after pulling it out of a guy's duffel bag?

I'm the guy who put the cadet up to bringing the darn thing.  My friend doing the shakedown with me, I'm serious, I thought I might have given the poor guy a heart attack. Woulda sucked to die from a massive coronary at age 20. :)

But: even knowing this was a replica non-firing device (ie. about as inert, maybe even moreso, than a kid's cap gun), I had racked it open, inspected the chamber, it did not have a magazine in it, and when I pulled the trigger it was pointed in a safe direction. As much as I would have liked to have pointed it _at_ my buddy (for maximum gag effect), my training and indoctrination, even at that young age, wouldn't allow it.

Even when being a wise guy, I'm at least mostly safe about it.
Tracking, sir!

Heh, I was just clarifying. IceNine even wondered... :D

JoeTomasone

Quote from: NIN on December 30, 2010, 08:40:48 PM
It was, however, a complete put-up job. The weapon was one of those old "Collectors Armory" non-firing replicas, and the cadet who owned it had been asked to bring it with him for this expressed purpose.   Mission Accomplished!

Along those lines....

At the recently concluded FLWG Winter Encampment, we were doing a contraband check of the Cadet Staff.   The son of our Chief Tac was present to "bag and tag" the found contraband.    I happened to be checking his son's belongings.    Let me add at this point that they are from my home group and I know both well.    As I went through the items, I abruptly left, went up to the Chief Tac, and said, "In his bag...  I found what appears to be a controlled substance."   Dad's face dropped, he held his head in shame.   After a pregnant pause, I informed him that I was joking.  After the requisite "WHY, YOU!" moment, we all had a good laugh.    Now, the running joke with the Cadet is "DDR..."  :D

Tim Medeiros

Quote from: JoeTomasone on January 03, 2011, 05:06:03 PM
Quote from: NIN on December 30, 2010, 08:40:48 PM
It was, however, a complete put-up job. The weapon was one of those old "Collectors Armory" non-firing replicas, and the cadet who owned it had been asked to bring it with him for this expressed purpose.   Mission Accomplished!

Along those lines....

At the recently concluded FLWG Winter Encampment, we were doing a contraband check of the Cadet Staff.   The son of our Chief Tac was present to "bag and tag" the found contraband.    I happened to be checking his son's belongings.    Let me add at this point that they are from my home group and I know both well.    As I went through the items, I abruptly left, went up to the Chief Tac, and said, "In his bag...  I found what appears to be a controlled substance."   Dad's face dropped, he held his head in shame.   After a pregnant pause, I informed him that I was joking.  After the requisite "WHY, YOU!" moment, we all had a good laugh.    Now, the running joke with the Cadet is "DDR..."  :D

Now to get said cadet involved with the DDR program *cough* ;)
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

HGjunkie

Quote from: JoeTomasone on January 03, 2011, 05:06:03 PM
Along those lines....

Wait, that was a gag? I heard something about a guy found with some controlled substance. If it was a joke, then it was a mighty good one, lol.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

JoeTomasone

It was a gag.  No one was actually found with anything illegal. 

HGjunkie

••• retired
2d Lt USAF