CAP Portible Radio on eBay?

Started by GaryVC, April 27, 2019, 09:23:40 PM

GaryVC

If you were going to buy a portable radio to use for CAP on eBay, what would you buy? I would like to keep the cost under $200.

xyzzy

I would figure out how I'm going to get it programmed first and work from there.

Also, "portable" isn't the best word to use; it could refer to any radio that isn't bolted to a desk in a building. "Mobile" or "handheld" are more useful descriptions, since radios with built-in 120 V power supplies are virtually unheard of.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

arajca

SarDragon

Quote from: Eclipse on April 28, 2019, 01:02:22 AM
HT-1000

Pros: Good basic radio. 16 channels. Programming requires a computer that will run real DOS, and has a real serial port, the older the better. The software is readily available and one version will do most radios of the type.

Cons: It doesn't do P25, which may hamper its use in certain situations. Needs a good quality battery; I got a cheapie, and it has trouble holding a charge.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SarDragon

Quote from: arajca on April 28, 2019, 02:44:36 AM
EF Johnson 5100.

Pros: Former CAP standard issue. 256 channels, P25 capable. Dependable radio, if a bit heavy.

Cons: Higher price than the HT1000. Programming is more complex, and there are several different versions of the software, which must match the radio version.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Slim

Quote from: SarDragon on April 28, 2019, 03:20:33 AM
EF Johnson 5100.

Pros: Former CAP standard issue. 256 channels, P25 capable. Dependable radio, if a bit heavy.

Cons: Higher price than the HT1000. Programming is more complex, and there are several different versions of the software, which must match the radio version.
Another pro:  Your wing comm staff will have the necessary cable, software and codeplug to enter into your radio.

Slim

Stonewall

BITD Pro:  buy a VHF radio from HRO as advertised in the CAP Newspaper, program it yourself, and go do Comm stuff.

Today Con: All the things mentioned in this thread.
Serving since 1987.

Eclipse

Bear in mind you can't get encryption on a POR, but also encryption is used so rarely as to be a non issue.

"That Others May Zoom"

carcarjg

Quote from: Slim on April 28, 2019, 03:24:17 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on April 28, 2019, 03:20:33 AM
EF Johnson 5100.

Another pro:  Your wing comm staff will have the necessary cable, software and codeplug to enter into your radio.

But could you program it yourself with CAP freqs, or would you have to go through your Squadron comm staff?

arajca

If you have the cables and software and the frequency information, you could program it yourself. It is easier and cheaper to have the sqdn/grp/wing comm folks program it as you'll have the latest wing specific programming. Some wings program in repeaters by name, not designator (*##). Also, most wings program a zone or two with just the wing repeaters making it easier to change to the appropriate channel.

Eclipse

Agreed - you really want the channel plan to match what your wing is doing, especially
if this is a CAP-only radio not used much.

"That Others May Zoom"

carcarjg

Quote from: arajca on April 28, 2019, 01:20:06 PM
If you have the cables and software and the frequency information, you could program it yourself. It is easier and cheaper to have the sqdn/grp/wing comm folks program it as you'll have the latest wing specific programming. Some wings program in repeaters by name, not designator (*##). Also, most wings program a zone or two with just the wing repeaters making it easier to change to the appropriate channel.

Hmm, Nice. Would I just send an email to the wing staff asking for this or is there a different way to request this?

Eclipse

You should start with your Unit Communications Staff and let them work their way up if additional
info or resources are needed.

If you don't have a Communications Officer, then you should get your CC's permission to move up to the next level.

"That Others May Zoom"

GaryVC

Quote from: carcarjg on April 28, 2019, 12:49:06 PM

But could you program it yourself with CAP freqs, or would you have to go through your Squadron comm staff?

I talked to the wing DO yesterday and he said I would have to program it myself. The Wing COMO died two years ago and hasn't been replaced. We do not have a squadron comm staff.

GaryVC

Quote from: Eclipse on April 28, 2019, 03:00:03 PM
You should start with your Unit Communications Staff and let them work their way up if additional

If you don't have a Communications Officer, then you should get your CC's permission to move up to the next level.

I am the unit commander and we don't have a comm staff. Lots of pilots but no comm staff.

carcarjg

Quote from: Eclipse on April 28, 2019, 03:00:03 PM

Nice, thanks!

Quote from: GaryVC on April 28, 2019, 03:00:52 PM

I talked to the wing DO yesterday and he said I would have to program it myself. The Wing COMO died two years ago and hasn't been replaced. We do not have a squadron comm staff.

Oh yikes.

arajca

You can find the EFJ knock-off cable on Ebay. The EFJ software is available on the Communications page accessed through Eservices. If you have a CAP EFJ handheld/portable, once you have the software and cable, you can read the CAP radio and clone it to yours. If you don't get an EFJ, you'll need to find the cable and software.

Eclipse

Gee-Zus.

"That Others May Zoom"

GaryVC

Quote from: arajca on April 28, 2019, 03:36:08 PM
You can find the EFJ knock-off cable on Ebay. The EFJ software is available on the Communications page accessed through Eservices. If you have a CAP EFJ handheld/portable, once you have the software and cable, you can read the CAP radio and clone it to yours. If you don't get an EFJ, you'll need to find the cable and software.

That sounds like a plan. All our mobile radios are EF Johnson. Can we use those? So what handheld would your recommend?