SQTR's vs. MIMS

Started by smj58501, February 17, 2006, 10:57:05 PM

smj58501

ALCON-

I was wondering how other CAP organizations are handling the paper SQTR vs. MIMS issue. In our wing, there has been an ongoing debate regarding if we need to maintain paper SQTR's (with signatures) on file once a specialty has been entered/ approved/ awarded on MIMS. The latest ruling is we "should" keep the paper copy "just in case" (the location of this piece of paper is TBD.... rumors are our Personnel File).

My personal opinion....
I think it is a good idea for each individual member to keep SQTR's for their personal records, but not necessarily the best idea for our personnel folks to attempt to maintain the info in our official personnel files. This is one more piece of paper our Personnel Officers will need to worry about ... a piece of paper that has info already captured online. This only adds redundancy, and sustains the workload for our volunteers that MIMS was supposed to save. The other piece of the puzzle (as I see it) is implementing technology is like crossing a bridge... stopping in the middle is not a good idea, its hard to turn around once you started to cross, and no matter how hard you try it is either difficult, impossible, or very painful to keep one foot on both sides. You can decide not to cross, but then you are not moving forward.

I do see the benefits of the opposite argument (i.e. what if MIMS loses our data?), however.

THE BIG QUESTION I am asking is how is everyone else doing it, what do you find that works and what doesn't, etc. I would appreciate any feedback you may have.

Sean M. Johnson
Lt Col, CAP
Chief of Staff
ND Wing CAP

SarDragon

As someone "personnelly" involved with this, I think paper copies have a place in the system.

Initially, they provide proof that a task has been accomplished. I don't enter anything into the system unless I see a signed SQTR, or was actually at the training and have a roster.

After that, they serve as a backup, just in case [insert appropriate data loss tragedy here]. However comma I don't think the unit needs to be involved in the archive process. If a member is so trusting that he/she doesn't keep their own archive, then it's their problem after said tragedy.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Chris Jacobs

I don't always trust that it goes into the system so i make sure that i get mine signed when i compleat something.  I then hold onto the SQTR until i see that the whole SQTR is compleat and in the system.  I hate having to drag all the extra paper to the mission but it really isn't that much to drag if it will save you from having to redo things.
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron