Main Menu

101 cards

Started by PWK-GT, June 24, 2005, 05:06:54 AM

Matt

Yep, and what's weirder yet is I changed majors from Mech. Engineering to Management Information Systems.... now I play with computers all day.... except that I'm a "CAD Technition" for work... not quite sure how it works myself...
<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>

ladyreferee

I haven't found the answer to this so here goes....today was a great day in homeschool - I decided that instead of our regular classes we would get our 101 cards.  My two cadets and I studied the regulations, discussed the powerpoint slides, and then took our tests.  After Mom passed each section, each boy would take his test.  Naturally, everyone passed.  Next, I logged onto e-services and saw that I am listed on my 101 card as having GES. Yippee!  However, when I logged on for each of my boys, neither of them are listed as having GES on their 101 cards.  Why not?  I didn't do anything more than they did and we each have our personal information in the system.  One is a C/SSgt and one a C/A1C.  Is there something else that must be done for their rating?
CHERYL K CARROLL, Major, CAP

Pylon

Quote from: ladyreferee on November 01, 2005, 07:34:36 PM
I haven't found the answer to this so here goes....today was a great day in homeschool - I decided that instead of our regular classes we would get our 101 cards.  My two cadets and I studied the regulations, discussed the powerpoint slides, and then took our tests.  After Mom passed each section, each boy would take his test.  Naturally, everyone passed.  Next, I logged onto e-services and saw that I am listed on my 101 card as having GES. Yippee!  However, when I logged on for each of my boys, neither of them are listed as having GES on their 101 cards.  Why not?  I didn't do anything more than they did and we each have our personal information in the system.  One is a C/SSgt and one a C/A1C.  Is there something else that must be done for their rating?

I would have said check that they had their Curry Achievement entered, but the Curry Achievement would certainly be entered for the C/SSgt since NHQ would have it down as the pre-requisite for the Wright Bros. Award.  Since it didn't show up for both of them, I'm thinking that either they mis-entered their CAPIDs for the online test, or the GES rating needs Commander approval for cadets for some reason, and the request is pending. 

Ask your unit CC to check for pending approvals in E-Services.  :)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Matt

The commander needs to, in theory, approve ALL of them, which is what is strange.  Most likely, it is the server at Nat'l doing it's auto-pencil whipping.

SarDragon

The Curry Achievement needs to be manually entered. It isn't tracked otherwise.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ladyreferee

Other than the major achievements, they are all entered manually.  But I've done that according to the regs - you know, not any sooner than every two months in the WMU....

SarDragon

We're talking apples and oranges here. The only cadet achievement tracked in MIMS is the Curry, because that is a requirement to participate in and be qualified for ES ratings. CAPR 60-3, para 2-3.a. requires completion of Achievement 1 or Level I to participate in ES training or missions.

Tracking of milestones is done in a different area of the database, and entries are done at NHQ, based on the CAPF 59-x sent in at the completion of each phase.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Matt

umm, but the question in hand is still weird... why is it that magically the Capt's GES is completed even before her CC has signed it off, but her sons' aren't finished.

Pylon

Quote from: Matt on November 02, 2005, 12:51:27 AM
umm, but the question in hand is still weird... why is it that magically the Capt's GES is completed even before her CC has signed it off, but her sons' aren't finished.

The GES rating requires that cadets have completed the Curry Achievement and Senior Members have completed Level I.  The Captain has obviously completed Level I, which is tracked and entered by NHQ and therefore was already in E-Services.  By completing the test, she checked off the last requirement E-Services had to give her the GES rating.

Her children, however, need to have the Curry Achievement entered manually and locally.  The Curry Achievement, unlike Level I for SMs, is not entered by NHQ automatically upon completion.  Therefore, if the unit hadn't entered manually their Curry achievement in E-Services, even if they had entered it in their SIMS and personnel files and everything else, E-Services would still consider the two cadets as lacking one of the requirements (pre-requisites, actually) to earn the GES rating.  Therefore, as soon as the Curry Achievement is entered in E-Services, their GES rating should also appear.

There's a link on the homepage of E-Services in those "news" items about entering the Curry achievement.  Your unit commander can clear it up.  :)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Matt

Apples and Oranges...

Even IF she has her Level I completed, which she does, her squadron commander STILL has to approve it, e-services cannot speak in place of a person....

ladyreferee

Oh....I hate that when someone says 'your commander can clear it up'!  My commander is in the dark as much as I am on this. ???  Supposedly I am the personnel/admin officer and in charge of entering everything in the records for everyone but I can't get past this stumpling block....

How do I get approval to enter in information?  And how does a commander get to know about this stuff, especially when he is not computer literate? And why do they make it so darn confusing?  Under news links, what link talks about entering the Curry? 

On top of this, the testing officer/DCOC told the cadets that because he didn't know that they were going to take the CAPT116, it isn't valid until he gives permission, not the commander.... ugh!!!!

Mac

Anyone with a CAPID may take the on-line CAPT 116 anytime they want to, with or without the testing officer, DCC or commanders prior approval, especially since it's an open book test.

Now to enter the cadets info into MIMS for their Curry achievement, here is what needs to be done.

Open MIMS, click on "General ES & Pilot Task Data Entry(Task Level)" then enter the cadets CAPID on the left side and click "Submit". On the right side of the screen click on "Record Completed Tasks for New Achievement". The screen will change and then click on the plus sign next to the "Cadet Programs" link under "Functional Areas".

Once you get to "Achv 1 Requirements" you just have to enter dates for the 4 requirement for Ach 1 (Moral Leadership, Leadership Test, CFPT, and Unit Activity) then click save. There will now be the word pending next to the dates.

This is were is gets complicated. The commander or someone with permission to "Validate achievements or tasks" has to go into MIMS and approve the tasks. one that is all done it will show Achievement 1 (Curry) as active in MIMS. It "should" also show GES if both parts of CAPT 116 are completed.

If you have anymore questions or need any help please feel free to ask here or send me a message.

Derk MacPherson, Lt Col, CAP
Vice Commander
Alaska Wing, PCR-AK-001

Matt

Quote from: ladyreferee on November 02, 2005, 02:13:38 PM
Oh....I hate that when someone says 'your commander can clear it up'!

Sorry, that is sort-of, not entirely the case.

How do I get approval to enter in information?  And how does a commander get to know about this stuff, especially when he is not computer literate?

If you're using WMU as most of WI Wing does, it's as simple as him adding permissions on the Unit Organization in the Squadron Commander Menu, then you can do his bidding if he so wishes.

And why do they make it so darn confusing?

Because we're a government affiliate.  Just be glad we don't follow gov't protocol and have 5 people watching you while you work.  :)

Under news links, what link talks about entering the Curry?

Open for someone who, I believe, uses e-services.  WMU it's in the SIMS menu (contact me if you'd like a little more in-depth information on SIMS)

On top of this, the testing officer/DCOC told the cadets that because he didn't know that they were going to take the CAPT116, it isn't valid until he gives permission, not the commander.... ugh!!!!

That's a real humdinger since the commander is his boss.  However, politely ask him his reasoning behind his answer.  He doesn't have to give permission to take the test, it's nice to sometimes let the commander know, but it shouldn't really matter.  Unless the CC has him as his designee, he really has no detriment in this.  However, if he's going to be a pain, simply request his permission to take the tests, once he "OK's" the kids, simply print out the previously taken certificates.  If he wants to have power he probably doesn't have, let him feel it, not have it.

**Side Note:  Use Nukem's post for MIMS**