Boy in balloon floating over Fort Collins Colorado

Started by disamuel, October 15, 2009, 07:01:18 PM

disamuel

All the major news sources are reporting about a six year old boy that accidentally launched his parents helium balloon while he is still aboard. Hard to believe but it's being shown on CNN right now.

capn_shad

CAPT Shad L. Brown
Public Affairs Officer
Pueblo Eagles Composite Squadron

desertengineer1

Just tuned in.  I really don't think anyone is in there.  It wouldn't be listing at 60 degrees with a 100 lb payload - nor would it be lifted by that little amount of gas.  Notice a couple of compartments have deflated.  That much weight with that much loss of gas would have brought it down by now.

Nathan

Quote from: capn_shad on October 15, 2009, 07:05:11 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33330516/ns/us_news-life/ among other sources.

Sounds like a perfect job for Colorado Wing!

To do what? There won't be any searching necessary with all of those cameras watching it, and the rescue group is going to be in place LONG before that balloon ever touches ground.
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

desertengineer1

20 ft X 5 ft X say 10 ft....  1000 cu ft of helium..  umm..  no.

DC

There's another thread in the Aviation forum about this...

Eclipse

Quote from: desertengineer1 on October 15, 2009, 07:33:06 PM
20 ft X 5 ft X say 10 ft....  1000 cu ft of helium..  umm..  no.

Seems reality trumps your math and physics...stupid reality....

Stupid math and physics...

"That Others May Zoom"

desertengineer1

No, I mean, there's no way a 100 lb kid would be lifted by that.  It took 45 balloons of almost 5,000 liters each to lift the "Chair guy".

This thing was what, 15 ft X 5 ft, saucer shape?  no more than about 10 lbs is my guess.

Flying Pig

Silly question, but as a Cop who has spent hours looking for lost kids who ended up being found next door at their aunts house, did they confirm hes actually in it?

swamprat86

according to the reports, a sibling saw him get into the balloon before the tether released.  Now they didn't say they saw him get in and then the tether released so he could have gotten out before it floated away.  Until they find him, no one will know for sure.

Nathan

Quote from: swamprat86 on October 15, 2009, 07:54:23 PM
according to the reports, a sibling saw him get into the balloon before the tether released.  Now they didn't say they saw him get in and then the tether released so he could have gotten out before it floated away.  Until they find him, no one will know for sure.

So NOW it's a good job for CAP.
Nathan Scalia

desertengineer1

Calculated in the other thread, no more than about 90 lb total lift (Not including weight of the balloon itself).

capn_shad

See, Nathan, I was just a little ahead of the facts. ;D

Seriously, as mentioned in the other thread, the authorities need to activate the Child Abduction Response Team, which has specific training in doing a missing child search and STARTING at the home and working outwards.  It's likely the kid is hiding because he thinks he's in trouble.
CAPT Shad L. Brown
Public Affairs Officer

desertengineer1

James Shaw

Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - Current
USCGA:2018 - Current
SGAUS: 2017 - Current

Spike

Figures.  Now the family should have to pay for the cost of the National Guard Helicopters and Police overtime and etc.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: desertengineer1 on October 15, 2009, 07:58:39 PM
Calculated in the other thread, no more than about 90 lb total lift (Not including weight of the balloon itself).

This, and the fact that people are saying 100lbs!?

My sister is 6, she is MAYBE 45 pounds...

Nathan

Quote from: capn_shad on October 15, 2009, 08:10:54 PM
It's likely the kid is hiding because he thinks he's in trouble.

That's probably EXACTLY the reason, which is why you're absolutely right. This kid isn't going to want to be found, especially since, if he's ever watched TV, he's probably going to think that the cops are looking to arrest him or something. They need to use a group that specializes in people who don't want to be found... such as child abductors...
Nathan Scalia

Angus

I know the ground search has begun for the boy.  Do we have any contact with our compatriots from that area?  Has CAP been called in to help in the search effort?
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

capn_shad

No requests for CAP assistance that I am aware of (I haven't received a page from Wing Ops today).
CAPT Shad L. Brown
Public Affairs Officer