Started by DC, October 12, 2009, 10:18:59 PM

sparks

CAP City flights I've seen look like 402's and Navajo's

Nick

About as official as it can get, me thinks:

Quote11 October 2009

MEMORANDUM FOR ALL CAP NATIONAL BOARD MEMBERS

SUBJECT: Aircraft Callsign Change

1. The International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) and the FAA have changed CAP's aircraft callsign to "CAP" instead of "CPF or CAP Flight." The new callsign should be used in air/ground communications and when filing flight plans. ICAO and the FAA will not permit CAP to have two callsigns so we will have to discontinue the use of "CAP Flight."

2 The pronunciation of the new "CAP" callsign is exactly how it sounds as in "baseball cap." It should be used along with the appropriate wing callsign number. Example: "CAP 1234." This new callsign should be included in the remarks section of all FAA flight plans.

3. Please distribute this information to all your aircrews and mission base staff. They can start using CAP's new aircraft callsign immediately. Thank you.

JOHN A. SALVADOR
Director, Missions
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

DC

Al Sayre

That's gonna cost somebody a keyboard...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

PHall

Quote from: Short Field on October 13, 2009, 05:42:29 PM
Quote from: PHall on October 13, 2009, 05:35:41 AM
That list is not exactly complete or even remotely up to date. At least not for USAF call signs.
If you find a  better source, please post it.  This one is a resource site for people who use scanners.

Yeah, I have a better source, but you can only access it from .mil computers and it's FOUO.
Which is probably why you haven't seen it.

Hill CAP

Just got this from the VAWG DO

Some pilots are having problems filing flight plans with the FAA . The new call sign , CAP, is not recognized by FAA computers. I just advised National of the situation  and they are recommending we return to the " old" way and use Cap Flight ( CPF) for both air communications and when filing any type of flight plan.

Once this problem has been resolved a notice will be sent to the members.

Jim T, LtCol, CAP
VAWG DO   

Justin T. Adkinson
Former C/1st Lt and SM Capt
Extended Hiatus Statues

FastAttack

Quote from: FLCAP 352 on October 14, 2009, 02:14:07 AM

Some pilots are having problems filing flight plans with the FAA . The new call sign , CAP, is not recognized by FAA computers. I just advised National of the situation  and they are recommending we return to the " old" way and use Cap Flight ( CPF) for both air communications and when filing any type of flight plan.

Jim T, LtCol, CAP
VAWG DO

thanks.

Now i know for my next flight not to use it.

I've yet to get any announcement from Wing ( in this case Florida wing)

NCRblues

:D im sorry i cant stop laughing about this, not in the faa database huh? :clap: :clap:
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

DC

Quote from: emertins on October 14, 2009, 02:31:31 AM

Jim T, LtCol, CAP
VAWG DO

thanks.

Are you on the FLWG General email list? That's how I found out about it, Col. Moersch sent an email about it the other day.

MSgt Van

PHall

IIRC, it took about two months for the FAA to get their databases updated when AMC replaced MAC in 1992 and the mission callsign went from MAC to REACH.

FastAttack

Quote from: DC on October 14, 2009, 04:07:17 AM
Quote from: emertins on October 14, 2009, 02:31:31 AM

Jim T, LtCol, CAP
VAWG DO

thanks.

Are you on the FLWG General email list? That's how I found out about it, Col. Moersch sent an email about it the other day.

i have a flwg email and i receive all of the flwg correspondence.

I received his email about mandatory change to cap vs cap flight..

but not what you just posted.

ande.boyer

looks like the FAA got their act together we're back to "CAP" as a call sign

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, October 15, 2009 11:57 AM
Subject: FAA GENOT for CAP Callsign

All,

See attached FAA GENOT.  The FAA apologized for not getting this GENOT out
sooner.  This should fix the problems some people experienced with using the
new callsign.  Also attached is a sample flight plan so people can see where
the FAA wants us to put "CAP" in the remarks section (along with the
aircraft tail number).  We've got a VIP we're dealing with at Maxwell AFB
today but we'll update the policy letter with these items and will reissue
it to all wing and region commanders on Friday.
Please let me know if you have any questions.  Thank you.

John A. Salvador
Director of Missions, HQ CAP
Toll Free: 888.211.1812 ext. 301
Phone: 334.953.3922 ext. 301
DSN: 493.3922 ext. 301
Fax: 800.555.7902 (DSN 493-5944)
jsalvador@capnhq.gov

FastAttack

well i did a flight yesterday as CAP XXX

and the first thing the tower did when i was cleared for takeoff was

"CAP Flight XXX" on every single call out he made..

I kept responding CAP XXX

i guess they are so used to us as CAP Flight , like some of us pilots it will be a hard habit to break. :)

jayleswo

Same here. Shot some approaches last night and tried "CAP xxx" and local and approach controllers kept calling me "CAP Flgiht xxx". I even fell back into that. So, ya, it will take a while. Don't see why we couldn't have stayed "CAP Flight" for the verbal callsign and just changed the ICAO identifier to CAP.
John Aylesworth, Lt Col CAP

SAR/DR MP, Mission Check Pilot Examiner, Master Observer
Earhart #1139 FEB 1982

Short Field

Flew both days this weekend as CAP XXX and had no problem with the tower and approach control using CAP as the callsign.  I did heard several slips with CAP originated radio calls using CAP Flight. 
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

Nick

So, I just read Salvador's letter ... the place where I see a nightmare-a-brewin' is on CAP VHF with the wings that have "<xxx> CAP" as their callsign prefix with unit numbers that duplicate the CAPFlight call signs.

Good times had by all.
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

Robborsari

I looked up the FAA genot (General Notice) on the faa site:
http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Notice/7340.222.pdf

According to this it is not effective until 10/20/2009.

I also called my local tower (tys) and they had not heard of it.  They suggested answering to both until things settle out.  We are likely to hear capflight coming from controllers for some time. 
Lt Col Rob Borsari<br  / Wing DO
SER-TN-087

Hill CAP

Quote from: McLarty on October 19, 2009, 04:58:39 AM
So, I just read Salvador's letter ... the place where I see a nightmare-a-brewin' is on CAP VHF with the wings that have "<xxx> CAP" as their callsign prefix with unit numbers that duplicate the CAPFlight call signs.

Good times had by all.

I can see this as FL has a CPF 834 I was  FLCAP 834 before we changed to only having 7 groups.

I would honestly be talking like I was missing part of My Callsign CAP 834 this is FLORIDA CAP 834 all most sounds as if I am calling myself.
Justin T. Adkinson
Former C/1st Lt and SM Capt
Extended Hiatus Statues

sdcapmx

Yesterday I flew and the tower kept calling us CAP Flt as well.  We informed them that the FAA GENOT stated that we were not to be called CAP not CAP Flt.  The slipped up a few times but when we returned a few hours later it seemed that they got it right.  May take some time but works for me.