NTSB: Pilot of Doomed Buffalo Plane 'Was Slow Learning' to Operate the Aircraft

Started by Pumbaa, May 12, 2009, 04:06:45 PM

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: flyguy06 on May 25, 2009, 05:42:10 AM
Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on May 24, 2009, 03:44:50 AM
Quote from: Spike on May 13, 2009, 01:38:37 AM
^ I agree!  Well put.

The media was quick to blame the pilot.  What a terrible blow to his family, and all the families that lost someone on this flight.  I strongly believe the transcripts should never be released, except to the Government Officials and the immediate families of the victims.  There are already too many videos on the internet making fun of tragedies like this. 

What in the world would be the last words out of your mouth when you know you have a second to live. 

Stupid media, stupid government for reporting on it like they currently do.

One simple statement as to what happened, why it happened and how others can prevent it from happening again is all that is needed.  Everything else is opinion and belief, not fact.

Sometimes the Government and the News Media are such an embarrassment.

I love media types who have never touched the controls of an airplane telling us that a pilot was unqualified.

Or a reporterette with zero days of active military duty and who never read the Geneva Convention telling us about how to handle prisoners from Afghanistan

Or the media freak who has never touched a gun or ever been in a fistfight telling us that the police over-reacted in a gun battle, and should have shot more accurately.

My personal life experience forces me to put media types below lawyers in the "Chain of Disrespect."  Frankly, I believe very little of what they say, since they usually have no idea of what they are talking about.

well John,

I have touched the controls and I know somthing about pursuing an airline career and I can tell you thatthere a lot of pilots out there that are not qualified to flying a Regional jet full of passengers. Airlines last year were hiring folks with 500 hours total time. Thats ridiculously low. These kids just graudted fromcollege and flightinstructed to build enough time to get on with a regional.

I think a lot of times the media reports stories inaccuratly, btu a lot of times, they get it dead on. In this case I am glad that the non pilot public has been exposed to what regional pilots go through and he qualityof pilots airlines are hiring. Maybe airlines will change their standards and stop paying new hires $18,000. You get what you pay for.

"I think a lot of times the media gets it inaccurately, but a lot of times they get it dead on."

There was this little boy who was detailed to watch a flock of sheep, and was instructed to shout "Wolf" should such a predatory animal appear. 

After he shouted "Wolf" several times when no wolf was present, the town began to ignore his shouts.  When an actual wolf appeared, the kid became dinner because nobody came to help.

In the last 15 to 20 years American journalism has gone down the dumper.  The old standards of integrity are laughed at by the current generation of reporters and reporterettes.

One by one people are realizing that journalists are not to be trusted.  If they can't find news, they make it up.  If they don't understand the nuances and technical aspects of a story, they report nonsensical babble.

I think you are right.  500 hours for a first officer probably is insufficient.  It might be OK if paired with a very seasoned captain, but the way airlines are currently run, such attention to assignment is unlikely to happen.  I believe you that there are some 500-hour first officers out there.  I would not believe it if I read it in one of the left-wing rags currently posing as newspapers.
Another former CAP officer

BrandonKea

Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

DG

The Buffalo crash has brought to light a situation that everyone knew was bad, but no one knew how bad.

These young pilots don't seem to know any better.