Now THIS is the airplane we SHOULD be flying...

Started by Nomex Maximus, March 21, 2009, 09:15:17 PM

Nomex Maximus

I was looking at the webpage of my new client/employer and found that they had acquired Schweizer Aircraft... here is a seriously cool airplane - we NEED this airplane:

SA-38B

Just think of the homeland security missions we could be flying!
Nomex Tiberius Maximus
2dLT, MS, MO, TMP and MP-T
an inspiration to all cadets
My Theme Song

RogueLeader

No 3rd seat for the scanner.  Low wing not so good. Up to 20,000 ft, good for High Birf. . . .VERY high bird.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

PHall

Quote from: Nomex Maximus on March 21, 2009, 09:15:17 PM
I was looking at the webpage of my new client/employer and found that they had acquired Schweizer Aircraft... here is a seriously cool airplane - we NEED this airplane:

SA-38B

Sure, we could do that, as soon as somebody figures out who's going to pay for them. (1 million a copy with the surveillance gear installed.)

Not to mention having to qualify and keep current, CAP pilots in turbine aircraft operations. (That will be a lot of trips to Flight Safety.)

But hey, it's only money.

Pumbaa

I live down the road from Schweizer.  Squadron I used to attend is on the opposite side of the runway.  The  38B  is designed for sensors not mark 2 eyeballs...

notaNCO forever

Quote from: Pumbaa on March 21, 2009, 09:57:13 PM
I live down the road from Schweizer.  Squadron I used to attend is on the opposite side of the runway.  The  38B  is designed for sensors not mark 2 eyeballs...

Good job at being a killjoy. If only we had the money an aircraft like that would be awsome.

Nomex Maximus

Quote from: PHall on March 21, 2009, 09:55:03 PM

SA-38B

Sure, we could do that, as soon as somebody figures out who's going to pay for them. (1 million a copy with the surveillance gear installed.)

Not to mention having to qualify and keep current, CAP pilots in turbine aircraft operations. (That will be a lot of trips to Flight Safety.)

It's a three seat depending on the mission equipment. The seats look like they face out towards the bubble windows in front of the wings. 85 knot loiter/mission speed, ten hour endurance. Put a FLIR in it, synthetic aperture radar, and we'd have a real SAR platform.  

Million dollars a copy? Sure, we already are paying about $300K for new 182s that can't do anywhere near what this could do.

I can dream, can't I?
Nomex Tiberius Maximus
My Theme Song

Nomex Maximus

Quote from: Pumbaa on March 21, 2009, 09:57:13 PM

And maybe we should be advancing beyond just looking out the windows with our eyes. About time CAP got some serious sensors in its airplanes...

... the 4000 foot take off run is a concern, however...

:D
Nomex Tiberius Maximus
My Theme Song

NIN

Quote from: Nomex Maximus on March 21, 2009, 10:03:22 PM
... the 4000 foot take off run is a concern, however...

That's probably with enough fuel to ensure the repeated use of the relief tubes.

A more normal GW might give a slightly more normal takeoff roll.

Those big long wings and two PT-6s should mean a pretty good amount of "oomph" on take off.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Flying Pig

If your looking for a kill-joy, Ill do it.  I would never support a purchase of a piece of equipment like this for CAP.  When you start putting the equipment on the aircraft like it was designed, FLIR, Gyrocams, etc. I would rather see the aircraft purchased and put into use by agencies that can fully exploit its capabilities.  This isn't a SAR platform, its a surveillance platform.  And for those who think you can use a FLIR a couple times per year or even a couple times per month and maintain at an acceptable level, again your dreaming.  And I would venture to guess a very small number of our aircrews would ever be able to stay airborne for 10 hours to be able to list that as an advantage. 
State Departments of Justice would be first on my list if someone wants to pay for it. 

As far as 2 PT-6 engines and the avionics this aircraft has, I would again say a small..very small, number of our pilots are even qualified to fly it. Not to mention stay minimally current in it. Yeah, I know, many of you think the Air Force should pay for all of our transitions, but it aint gonna happen.
The maintenance and maintenance costs alone would cripple us.  This is an aircraft that also has a crew chief and dedicated ground support crews, not Cadets and Senior Members who completed an online course.  Keep dreaming kids.   
I would also say a very few of our observers are trained, or would be willing to train to the level that would be required to operate what this aircraft was meant to accomplish.  Sorry.....I think the 182, 206 and Airvan are about all we need.  If we want toys, put them on those aircraft.

There are a couple regulars on CAPTalk who have experience flying thee types of aircraft.

(Wheeeeee...that Flying Pig guy is a jerk!)

NIN

Quote from: Flying Pig on March 21, 2009, 11:36:58 PM
(Wheeeeee...that Flying Pig guy is a jerk!)

Dude..... Why did you have to mess with the dream?
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Flying Pig

SJFedor

Quote from: Nomex Maximus on March 21, 2009, 10:01:33 PM
Quote from: PHall on March 21, 2009, 09:55:03 PM

SA-38B

Million dollars a copy? Sure, we already are paying about $300K for new 182s that can't do anywhere near what this could do.

I can dream, can't I?

Keep going. Base price for a new 182  is $384,500. Throw in all the goodies and extras we have done post-factory, and we're probably spending about $415,000-$430,000 per bird.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Nomex Maximus

...and the curious thing is, CAP will spend 400K on a plane... but nothing on a building for the squadron to meet in (!)
Nomex Tiberius Maximus
My Theme Song

Senior

Get some surplus OV-10 Broncos for a lot cheaper than the dream bird ;D
That is a sweet bird though.  Did someone pee in your cheerios this morning Flying Pig?????? ;)
Some of the PJ's at PJOC mentioned sliding out of the back of the OV-10's
for insertion to sensitive areas.  The OV-10 is a twin tail.  Pilot rotates from
level flight to about 45 degrees to get the jumpers out of the back.  The
rear sensors are removed as well as the  rear door to accommodate the jumpers.  We could qualify some GTM in low level parachute jumping to
put a ground team on the ground right where they need to be :D :D :D ;)

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Nomex Maximus on March 22, 2009, 01:11:59 AM
...and the curious thing is, CAP will spend 400K on a plane... but nothing on a building for the squadron to meet in (!)

because they can send the plane somewhere else when the squadron cc doesn't do their job... >:D
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

es_g0d

I like the idea of CAP putting out a bid-for-contract for new aircraft, rather than picking off-the-shelf designs.  We're big enough, we've got enough cash, and our fleet is truly remarkable.

I love Cessna products, from singles to jets, but the company simply isn't very responsive to our needs, and has priced us out of a reasonable market.  I'm curious what the results would be if we wrote contract specifications for a mission airplane!  Its worth a shot.
Good luck and good hunting,
-Scott
www.CAP-ES.net

SAR-EMT1

Hopefully with a better sensor package then a mere Mark 1 Mod 0 Eyeball...
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

PHall

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on March 22, 2009, 03:36:52 AM
Hopefully with a better sensor package then a mere Mark 1 Mod 0 Eyeball...

You know, the Coast Guard says their most effective search tool is the Mk I, Mod 0 eyeball.

NIN

Quote from: Senior on March 22, 2009, 01:17:27 AM
We could qualify some GTM in low level parachute jumping to put a ground team on the ground right where they need to be :D :D :D ;)

Too late.

I think I was still a GTM when this was taken.  And yes, that's pass-in-review.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

heliodoc

I chime in and agree with FP on this..

There is NO killjoy.................just pure reality

CAP is worried about show room new aircraft and these aircraft are surveillance from the go

ONE PT6 engine in replacement costs is nearly that of an 2 yr old C182 G1000
AND the TPE331 engines in the OV10 Bronco would scare the living daylights out of the CAP budget.  Can you you spell hot starts, transient temperatures on start, 50K fuel controls, $200 to $700 ignitor plugs, FOD damage from crud on the ramp, CAP doing FOD walks,  does anyone really get this idea??????

SO my dear friends in CAP, unless one has a training program, and with turbines, I would venture to guess, every 6 month checkouts, would be a safe bet, and  HEFTY Maintenance budgets........ this and ANY turbine program demands more vigilance and dinero that ONE Wing can support.  CAP's consolidated MX program money would be depleted in short order with turbine MX costs.. Ever see a shelled turbine engine???  I have on numerous times and also did hot section repairs on engines that those highly capable military pilots that did not pay attention to the gauges on start........  There are reasons to pay attention and I would and could imagine a number of problems in CAP when it comes to turbine engine operation AND repair

This is ONE area CAPers would probably would exercise a little caution in when it comes to folks IN THE KNOW about a little more than piston operation.....

I say say keep dreamin and while your doing that maybe CAP can get some stimulus money for that,HUH???