Loudest aircraft you have ever heard

Started by nomiddlemas, March 10, 2014, 12:22:13 AM

Cliff_Chambliss

Loud but not the loudest but one of the most impressive.   Used to watch these as a kid. 

Six Turnin and Four Burnin
11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.

nomiddlemas

Wow what a howl that jet has.  Any jet is a good sounding one.  That is until they have the economy freaks come in and make the jets less smokey and loud  :-[

a2capt

What were they chasing that B-36 with to film that? 
.. wonder if they'd ever do something like that again?

Quite a machine, but retired pretty quickly.. metal issues, no refueling ability limiting it's range ..

bosshawk

Not really limited in range: Castle AFB, Ca to North Africa and return without refueling??????  Had a friend who was a flight engineer on B-36s out of Castle and he told me of flights like that.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

PHall

The B-36 had some pretty long legs. It was slower then crap but it had range.
SAC did some pretty drastic things like eliminate all but the nose and tail guns and the gunners to try to get the weight down and to gain some speed.
Even with the jets, the B-36D was still a sitting duck against something like a MiG-15.

bosshawk

When I was in college, the school apparently was on one of the B-36 routes and a couple of times a week, while walking to class, I would hear one passing over at FL Infinity.  It took that plane forever to go from horizon to horizon.  Yep, slow!!!!  Now, the B-47 didn't have that problem.  There were very few fighters that could keep up with it, particularly at altitude.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

wuzafuzz

Quote from: nomiddlemas on March 10, 2014, 12:22:13 AM
What is the loudest aircraft you have ever heard in your life?
SR-71 demo at the NAS Point Mugu air show / "space fair" in the early '80's.  That was the first time I saw shock diamonds in jet exhaust.  That, combined with the noise and sheer SR-71 awesomeness left one heck of an impression.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

AlphaSigOU

Any Russkie first or second-generation commercial jet - an Ilyushin-62 is unbelievably loud at full power, rivaling a Concorde lighting off all four afterburners!
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

planenut767

Strangely enough the loudest aircraft I've heard was the Fokker F27 Friendship. I worked on an airport ramp where the FedEx feeders would come in. They'd usually have to power up a bit since the ramp area was inclined and to maneuver into their parking spots. The first time they powered up on me left my ears ringing and that was with noise mufflers on my ears. They also shook our break room (trailer) the way no 727 could ever do. Very surprising since I've been around a lot of jets over the years, but I guess a first generation turbo prop will do that.

Cliff_Chambliss

11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.

scooter

OK, my vote is for the old B25Ds heavy weight takeoff. 8 J57 jet engines burning JP4 and water which lasted about 2 minutes. Well over 160DB. Of course this was way back when men thought you could burn water. ;)

PHall

Quote from: scooter on April 13, 2014, 09:53:03 PM
OK, my vote is for the old B25Ds heavy weight takeoff. 8 J57 jet engines burning JP4 and water which lasted about 2 minutes. Well over 160DB. Of course this was way back when men thought you could burn water. ;)

Didn't know the TWO Radial Engines on the B-25 were that loud... >:D

Oh, you were talking about the B-52D with the 8 Pratt and Whitney J57-43WB turbojets?  :o
The D Model Buff carried about 1500 gallons of demineralized water for takeoff power. The water ran out at just about exactly 2 minutes.
This resulted in a 40% reduction in thrust. So you best be airborne with the gear and flaps up or it will be a rather short flight!

SarDragon

When water is heated past its boiling point, the expansion is about 1200 times its liquid volume. You don't need to burn it to make thrust.  ;)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

nomiddlemas

Quote from: SarDragon on April 14, 2014, 03:28:40 AM

When water is heated past its boiling point, the expansion is about 1200 times its liquid volume. You don't need to burn it to make thrust.  ;)
I have been under a bunch of B-52H and they are kind of quite. 

Garibaldi

Quote from: nomiddlemas on April 29, 2014, 12:20:43 AM

Kind of QUITE or QUIET?
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

stillamarine

Was at Kadena when they still had SR-71s when I was a kid. Always thought they were crazy loud. Harriers off the deck of the ship I was in in the Med used to wake me up every morning. But by far the loudest sound I ever experienced that was produced by an aircraft came from an AC-130 on a mountainside in Afghan. Talk about rocked my world!
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

PHall

Quote from: nomiddlemas on April 29, 2014, 12:20:43 AM

The B-52H has TF-33 Turbofan engines. They are much, much quieter then the J57's. Put out a lot more thrust too.

SarDragon

Quote from: PHall on April 29, 2014, 02:15:04 AM
The B-52H has TF-33 Turbofan engines. They are much, much quieter then the J57's. Put out a lot more thrust too.

My sources say that the max thrust levels are about equal, depending on dash numbers.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

Quote from: SarDragon on April 29, 2014, 03:32:26 AM
Quote from: PHall on April 29, 2014, 02:15:04 AM

My sources say that the max thrust levels are about equal, depending on dash numbers.

The TF33-P-9 engine puts out 21,000 lbs of thrust at the Maximum Continous Thrust setting.

The J57-43WB used on the B-52D puts out 13,850 lbs of thrust with water injection and 8,750 lbs without water.

Yeah, just a bit more thrust. And the TF33 burns a lot less fuel too.
But thats just because turbofans are always more fuel efficent then turbojets.

But what do I know. I just have about 25 years of experience flying on or maintaining aircraft with J57 and TF33 engines.

SarDragon

Oops. My bad I saw J79 when I read it. And you don't need to be so snarky.  :P
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret