Mountain Flying Airplane

Started by Flying Pig, November 20, 2011, 04:46:28 AM

Spaceman3750

Quote from: NIN on December 09, 2011, 02:35:40 AM
Quote from: Spaceman3750 on December 09, 2011, 02:12:13 AM
With some sheet metal, a few clecos and a powerplant you could build one of your own! 8)

How about an OH-58 that arrived on a flat-bed sans anything except for a connex full of parts?

Yeah, that was a fun six months.  Took a little more than some clecos, sheet metal and a lick of paint.

But I was the guy in the left seat for the MTF.

I forgot the sarcasm tags :P.

NIN

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on December 09, 2011, 02:54:17 AM
Quote from: NIN on December 09, 2011, 02:35:40 AM
Quote from: Spaceman3750 on December 09, 2011, 02:12:13 AM
With some sheet metal, a few clecos and a powerplant you could build one of your own! 8)

How about an OH-58 that arrived on a flat-bed sans anything except for a connex full of parts?

Yeah, that was a fun six months.  Took a little more than some clecos, sheet metal and a lick of paint.

But I was the guy in the left seat for the MTF.

I forgot the sarcasm tags :P.

oh, no, it was there. :0
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Flying Pig

Quote from: blackrain on December 08, 2011, 04:12:18 AM
Just curious but how important is "Buy American" to government agencies nowadays? Is there a preference in the bidding process? I know exchange rates can affect prices too.

"Not very" is right.   Look at all the agencies flying Eurocopters and riding BMW motorcycles.  The MD902 lost out to the EC145.  Ive talked to a number of Army Helo drivers who say the MD actually out performed the 145, but Eurocopter still won.  They like the 145, but they liked the 902 more.  Yeah....I know technically its "American-Eurocopter" but really....they are French!

The CA Highway Patrol and countless other departments choose the Eurocopter over Bell and MD quite often.  And the Bell and MD are outstanding platforms and are a lot less to operate.  My dept flies MD, Bell and Cessna!  An all American law enforcement agency!  :clap: