Senior Member can't wear his NRA Marksman award?

Started by williamburdge, July 10, 2014, 07:43:20 PM

lordmonar

Quote from: Storm Chaser on July 10, 2014, 09:51:58 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on July 10, 2014, 09:30:56 PM
Sounds like a white paper with a suggestion to expand the badge wear is in the works

Do we really need another badge?
williamburdge thinks so
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Shuman 14

Quote from: abdsp51 on July 10, 2014, 10:13:42 PM
No we don't need another badge.  36-2903 authorizes sister service badges yes and I would have to look but I do not believe marksmanship badges are authorized.  The Excellence in Competition badge is authorized for wear.

The new USAF Uniform Instruction authorizes all sister Service badges, awards and decorations for wear on the uniform.

It seems pretty cut and dry.

But not NRA badges.
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Pylon

Quote from: shuman14 on July 10, 2014, 10:51:38 PM
No we don't need another badge.  36-2903 authorizes sister service badges yes and I would have to look but I do not believe marksmanship badges are authorized.  The Excellence in Competition badge is authorized for wear.

The new USAF Uniform Instruction authorizes all sister Service badges, awards and decorations for wear on the uniform.

But not NRA badges.

Not true; all "sister service" badges are not authorized on the USAF uniform. For "shooting badges" the Air Force only authorizes the Excellence-in-Competition shooting badge and no others.  For example, if I "went blue" I could not wear my Marine Corps Expert Rifle Marksmanship badge.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

abdsp51

Quote from: shuman14 on July 10, 2014, 10:51:38 PM

But not NRA badges.

No it is not cut and dry it states qualification badges and not marksmanship badges.  See as follows:

AFI36-2903 Para: 10.5.

Qualification and Miscellaneous Badges and Patches.
Qualification badges are defined as badges earned and permanently awarded that reflect special skills that an Airman has demonstrated proficiency or qualification in that complements their primary mission. Wear of other services' qualification badges, if earned and awarded, is authorized. Award criteria for other services' qualification badges will be in accordance with awarding Service's directives (Army MilPERCEN; Navy; BUPERS, etc.). Temporary qualification badges and those not related to an Airman's current primary mission are not authorized for wear on the uniform.

Refer to attachment 5 for a listing of qualification badges and patches authorized (not inclusive).

Ergo other service marksmanship badges are not authorized for wear on the AF uniform.  The EIC badge is authorized for wear by members.  Please stay in your lane.

Panache

Well, as others have pointed out, 39-1 is trying to mold itself as much as possible to AF uniform regs.

On a meta level, and this is just my personal opinion with absolutely nothing to back it up, I always just figured that with a large part of CAP being a youth organization, CAPHQ didn't want SMs in uniform in schools and other youth-heavy locations wearing weapon qualification badges.

williamburdge

Nobody here got the point.  NRA badge is authorized by 39-1 for cadets.

None need authorization to seek firearms training, it is a guaranteed right of any person in these United States, some may call it guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment.  That point is irrelevant.  The actual question without the above game of telephone is THIS:

If the NRA badge permitted by CAP 39-1 can be earned by cadets and senior members, why do only cadets get to wear it?

I have my answer now, and that is for no reason.  I will put in my request for a modification of the regulations as this is clearly a relic from the age of the "youth" shooting badges and not adapted to the new NRA program.  If you don't like what I think, keep posting here.  This will be my last post on CAPtalk.  Happy trolling.

Eclipse

Quote from: williamburdge on July 11, 2014, 05:10:27 AMIf the NRA badge permitted by CAP 39-1 can be earned by cadets and senior members, why do only cadets get to wear it?

The NRA badge cannot be earned by Senior Members - that's the flaw in your premise.

"That Others May Zoom"

Storm Chaser

You're certainly welcome to put in your request, but the fact that seniors can't wear the badge is not for "no reason" as you state. The NRA program is not a senior program. Why should seniors get to wear the badge then? What relevance does it have to CAP?

Flying Pig

Ill chime in..... although I see you arent coming back though... Its a badge for KIDS and you will look ridiculous as an adult walking around with it.   I didnt give it a second thought when I wasn't able to wear my 4th award USMC rifle and pistol expert badges on my CAP uniform. 

abdsp51

Under the current system I do not see this going past his unit.

Flying Pig

What is it lately with people citing the constitution when trying to validate an issue regarding CAP?

Panache

Quote from: Flying Pig on July 11, 2014, 09:00:42 AM
What is it lately with people citing the constitution when trying to validate an issue regarding CAP?

I plead the 5th.

CAP_truth

Cadet CoP
Wilson

JeffDG

Quote from: Flying Pig on July 11, 2014, 09:00:42 AM
A fundamental misunderstanding of the Constitution and how it works is my bet.

GroundHawg

Quote from: Eclipse on July 11, 2014, 05:15:15 AM
Quote from: williamburdge on July 11, 2014, 05:10:27 AMIf the NRA badge permitted by CAP 39-1 can be earned by cadets and senior members, why do only cadets get to wear it?

The NRA badge cannot be earned by Senior Members - that's the flaw in your premise.

The program has changed. It is no longer a youth only program, it is now open to anyone of any age.

http://mqp.nra.org/documents/pdf/education/training/marksmanship/qualbook.pdf

http://mqp.nra.org/

"The following information applies to the overall qualification program -- all disciplines, all courses of fire.
Eligibility
NRA Qualification courses of fire are open to everyone -- men and women, adults and youth."

Eclipse

No one said adults can't participate in that program.

I said it can't be earned by "senior members", there's a difference.

Firearms training, of any kind, is prohibited for adult members of CAP, what they do on their own time is their own business.

I'm a motorcycle safety instructor, should I get to wear my "proficient rider" pin (with rocker for students taught)?

"That Others May Zoom"

JeffDG

Quote from: Eclipse on July 11, 2014, 01:48:57 PM
Firearms training, of any kind, is prohibited for adult members of CAP,

Can you provide a cite for that prohibition?

Eclipse

Quote from: JeffDG on July 11, 2014, 01:51:33 PM

No.

Can you provide one that authorizes it?

The only place, in any reg, that mentions the authorization of firearms training for members is 52-16, which explicitly
mentions cadets.

"That Others May Zoom"

JeffDG

Quote from: Eclipse on July 11, 2014, 01:54:11 PM
Quote from: JeffDG on July 11, 2014, 01:51:33 PM

No.

Can you provide one that authorizes it?

The only place, in any reg, that mentions the authorization of firearms training for members is 52-16, which explicitly
mentions cadets.

I don't need one that "authorizes" it.  That which is not prohibited is implicitly permitted.

Can you cite a regulation that permits you to go to the bathroom during a mission?  By your logic, it must be prohibited then, right?

Eclipse

Quote from: JeffDG on July 11, 2014, 01:58:40 PM
I don't need one that "authorizes" it.  That which is not prohibited is implicitly permitted.

That's literally the opposite of how it works.

"That Others May Zoom"