Uniform(s) worn most frequently?

Started by Xasmoth1650, October 25, 2013, 04:08:24 AM

Xasmoth1650

Hey folks

I'm looking to join CAP in the near future, attempting to get in touch with a couple squadrons nearby. I figure its a way to "do my part", a great way to volunteer. I previously enlisted in the Marine Corps, but was sent home from Parris Island due to a small, insignificant medical issue (Got blown out of proportion, but with the downsizing happening, I understand it).

Anyway, I'm a former 4-year Navy JROTC cadet, and now I'm looking for a way to continue sort of volunteering, helping out, and I believe CAP will be able to be an excellent medium for that.

What uniform(s) would I have to acquire immediately, to participate in most activities? I was thinking it may be the short sleeve blue, maybe long sleeve with the tie. However, how often is it that senior members find themselves in the position wearing BDU's for example? The same could be said about the full Service Dress uniform with coat. We don't even need to discuss mess dress.

Thanks

a2capt

The answer to that depends mostly on the unit selected, however:

Short sleeve blues is one choice of the "basic" uniform that you're required to have. BDU's are optional, though statistically may be worn more often.

Storm Chaser

The short sleeve service uniform (blue Air Force-style or white Aviator shirt with gray pants) is required by regulation as the basic CAP uniform, but many senior members get by with other corporate uniforms such as the CAP Golf shirt with gray pants combination. Woodland BDUs or corporate blue BDUs are used for field operations and training. Flight suits (green or blue) can be used for flying, but are not required.

Once you join, check with your unit. They may have a supply of used, but serviceable BDUs that may be issued. That said, senior members tend to purchase most uniforms they wear. Checking with your unit will also give you an idea of which uniforms they normally wear. A set of service uniform and BDUs should be enough for most circumstances.

NC Hokie

Quote from: Xasmoth1650 on October 25, 2013, 04:08:24 AM
What uniform(s) would I have to acquire immediately, to participate in most activities? I was thinking it may be the short sleeve blue, maybe long sleeve with the tie. However, how often is it that senior members find themselves in the position wearing BDU's for example? The same could be said about the full Service Dress uniform with coat. We don't even need to discuss mess dress.

The answer will depend on the types of activities you want to participate in.  By regulation, you must acquire a set of short sleeve blues, so start your list there.

If you're going to be involved in ground emergency services, a field uniform (BDUs or BBDUs) is a must.

If you're going to work with cadets, a field uniform is a good idea (says the guy with no usable field uniform in the closet) so you can dress like they do.

If you want to fly, get a flight suit.

The bottom line is to find the unit that works for you and then stock your closet to support the activities that interest you.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

Panache

The vast majority of time, I wear the polo shirt-and-gray-pants combination.  Occasionally I'll wear my BBDU's (Blue BDU's) at a meeting or during a field exercise.

I can count the number of times I've worn the "corporate" uniform (white aviator shirt and gray pants) on one hand.

Attend a couple of meetings with your local Squadron and ask the Squadron CC or Deputy Commander of Seniors what uniform will be expected of you.  Each Squadron is different, really.

Elioron

To join, it doesn't matter.  A uniform is required if working with cadets or in a corporate vehicle.  You'll learn a lot more about the uniforms as you go through the initial training and your unit will instruct you as to what they expect.

Money is often a consideration, so I have an order that has worked pretty well.  I always suggest starting with the polo and gray slacks.  This uniform is appropriate when the uniform of the day is BDUs or Blues (in other words, 90% of the time).  From there, get the aviator shirt/blues uniform unless you plan on doing Emergency Services training right away, in which case push to get the field uniform.  Keep in mind that your initial training will take at least three weeks unless they have a day workshop and you won't be able to begin ES training until that is completed.
Scott W. Dean, Capt, CAP
CDS/DOS/ITO/Comm/LGT/Admin - CP
PCR-WA-019

Майор Хаткевич

Polo should never be a starting uniform. It is against regulations. Also, members should never be encouraged to get a polo.

THRAWN

Quote from: usafaux2004 on October 25, 2013, 01:37:53 PM
Polo should never be a starting uniform. It is against regulations. Also, members should never be encouraged to get a polo.

What regulation would that be?
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

THRAWN

Quote from: NC Hokie on October 25, 2013, 04:30:06 AM

The answer will depend on the types of activities you want to participate in.  By regulation, you must acquire a set of short sleeve blues, so start your list there.

If you're going to be involved in ground emergency services, a field uniform (BDUs or BBDUs) is a must.

If you're going to work with cadets, a field uniform is a good idea (says the guy with no usable field uniform in the closet) so you can dress like they do.

If you want to fly, get a flight suit.

The bottom line is to find the unit that works for you and then stock your closet to support the activities that interest you.

What regulation requires the service uniform?
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: THRAWN on October 25, 2013, 01:41:05 PM

The one quoted here hundreds of times, listing the minimum uniform.

jeders

Quote from: THRAWN on October 25, 2013, 01:42:26 PM
What regulation requires the service uniform?

Not to derail this thread too far, but this right here is the number one problem with uniforms in CAP.

Quote from: NC Hokie on October 25, 2013, 04:30:06 AM

By regulation, you must acquire a set of short sleeve blues, so start your list there.

Or aviator white and greys.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

THRAWN

Quote from: usafaux2004 on October 25, 2013, 01:50:27 PM

Quote it again, just so I'm clear.
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: THRAWN on October 25, 2013, 01:59:39 PM

A Major assigned to a wing HQ? See first part of the post above yours.

Luis R. Ramos

CAP Major in your signature? And you have not read that the current 39-1 requires you to acquire the AF Blue service uniform or the Grey/White?

Section 1-5. Uniform Combinations.
Various combinations of CAP uniforms are authorized in order to allow for various climatic conditions, availability of uniforms, etc., but no member is obligated to equip himself/herself with all or even a major part of the combinations described in this publication. Members will equip themselves with the basic uniform. The minimum basic uniforms for male and female cadets and senior members, which will satisfy most occasions, are listed below....

a. Minimum Basic Service Uniform.
Male: Short-sleeve, light blue shirt; dark blue trousers; blue belt/silver buckle, blue flight cap; black shoes, and socks....

Female: Short-sleeve light blue blouse; Dark blue skirt or slacks; flight cap; neutral nylon hose; black shoes; black handbag....

b. CAP Distinctive Basic Uniform
(senior members only).
Male: Short-sleeve, white aviator shirt; gray trousers; black belt; black shoes and socks... Female: Short-sleeve, white aviator shirt; gray slacks....

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

THRAWN

Quote from: usafaux2004 on October 25, 2013, 02:01:45 PM
Quote from: THRAWN on October 25, 2013, 01:59:39 PM

A Major assigned to a wing HQ? See first part of the post above yours.

Thanks for the nonanswer.
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

THRAWN

Quote from: flyer333555 on October 25, 2013, 02:04:57 PM
CAP Major in your signature? And you have not read that the current 39-1 requires you to acquire the AF Blue service uniform or the Grey/White?

Various combinations of CAP uniforms are authorized in order to allow for various climatic conditions, availability of uniforms, etc., but no member is obligated to equip himself/herself with all or even a major part of the combinations described in this publication. Members will equip themselves with the basic uniform. The minimum basic uniforms for male and female cadets and senior members, which will satisfy most occasions, are listed below....

Male: Short-sleeve, light blue shirt; dark blue trousers; blue belt/silver buckle, blue flight cap; black shoes, and socks....

Female: Short-sleeve light blue blouse; Dark blue skirt or slacks; flight cap; neutral nylon hose; black shoes; black handbag....

(senior members only).
Male: Short-sleeve, white aviator shirt; gray trousers; black belt; black shoes and socks... Female: Short-sleeve, white aviator shirt; gray slacks....

Flyer

I asked a questions as to where it would be found, and ended up getting treated like I was asking for launch codes. Sue me, I don't have the book memorized chapter and verse.
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

jeders

Quote from: THRAWN on October 25, 2013, 02:13:36 PM
I asked a questions as to where it would be found, and ended up getting treated like I was asking for launch codes. Sue me, I don't have the book memorized chapter and verse.

Actually, you were being treated like someone who has never touched 39-1 despite holding the rank of Major and being in a HQ unit.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Luis R. Ramos

When you join an organization there are a few things you are expected to learn. If you work for a city government, don't you learn about the rules and regulations that govern it?

I work as a teacher for the New York City Dept of Ed. I do not know all their publications but I do know that I am a mandated reporter. I know I am required to have a lesson plan. I know where to find some other things.

If you are a Major, you should have learned by now there are several regulations on what to wear. On how to write letters and memos. And others.

I would have expected a senior member without Level I not knowing these basic items, not a Major.

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

RogueLeader

Quote from: THRAWN on October 25, 2013, 02:13:36 PM
Quote from: flyer333555 on October 25, 2013, 02:04:57 PM

(senior members only).

Flyer

Is CAPM 39-1 Section 1-5 clear enough?

We don't expect anybody to have all the regs memorized, but really, not having the slightest clue about how the regs are numbered? ???
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

THRAWN

Is CAPM 39-1 Section 1-5 clear enough?

We don't expect anybody to have all the regs memorized, but really, not having the slightest clue about how the regs are numbered? ???
[/quote]

Yes, thank you. I never said I didn't know how the regs were numbered, or even how to read them. I asked 2 questions. The first was what reg required members to obtain the blue service short sleeve. Answer: it doesn't. It's either the short sleeve blue OR corp grays. The second was where it was a violation of the regs to suggest/recommend the polo. Got the answer to that too.

I've been inactive for a bit, and getting back into the swing of things, there are some things that I've forgotten. I could walk around spouting off bits of incorrect or erroneous info, but instead of doing that, I decided to ask where that info could be found. We are all leaders, we are all educator in one form or another, and instead of acting like all info is something that everyone should know, take into consideration that there may be circumstances that you're unaware of and use it as a teachable moment for all hands.
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023