Main Menu

Im Confused...

Started by will3947, February 20, 2013, 02:53:07 PM

will3947

So, I got my CAPID, then I was given a uniform which was too big on the spot from my unit commander. Then he said order a size BIGGER on the Internet! So I got on vanguard, and it was $50.00 for just a shirt? WHATS GOING ON? >:(

EMT-83

Instead of asking anonymous folks on the Internet, why not ask your commander for clarification?

Rick-DEL

Blues or BDU's?

If Blues, you should have been given a voucher.

If BDU's, look for a Surplus Store in your area. A set will run you about 1/2 the price of just one article from VG.

will3947

Ok, For BDU's I'll just go somewhere, but a voucher? I did not get one.

J2H

Ebay has a lot of BDUs... I found a set for 20.  A LOT of surplus stores up the price of BDUs, last time I checked (last year) they wanted 45.00 for a pair of BDU trousers (in SC).
SSgt Jeffrey Hughes, Squadron NCO
Glenn L. Martin Composite Squadron MD-031

Eclipse

Cadets are eligible for the majority of a free blues uniform.  If you got one "on the spot", it was likely from the unit's stock. 
Address this with your commander and make sure you were put in for your free uniform.

BDUs are not supplied by CAP.  You can expect to lay out about $100, if you purchase new, by the time you get the shirt, pants, boots, and insignia.
It is not allowed to wear it incorrectly or with missing parts while you're putting it together.  Some units do have a supply of BDUs, but
it is not a standard-issued item.

All of this is best addressed directly to your commander.

"That Others May Zoom"

Duke Dillio

Are we perhaps mistaking this member?  Are you a senior or a cadet?

will3947

Im a cadet, and everything that everybody says, is CONFUSING THE BOB SAGGET OUT OF ME

Duke Dillio

Well welcome to the club.  I'll try to help as much as I can.  PM me if you need more information.

You will receive a packet from National HQ shortly which will have pictures of the uniform.  In the interim, just google search "CAPM 39-1" and read it cover to cover (you can skip the female and honor guard portions).  You don't need to memorize it but reading it at least once will give you a step up in your future as a CAP member.

Right now, I would concentrate on getting your blue uniform squared away.  You will need to order the plastic nameplate and flight cap device from Vanguard.  To save on shipping and to prepare you for the future, I would also go ahead and order your BDU nametape and the CAP tape along with the American flag patch and a wing patch if your wing is still wearing them.

While you may find BDU's cheap on eBay, I would personally not skimp.  You can pick up a brand new set from bdu.com for about $60.  Also, find a professional sew shop to have them put together.  It may seem like a lot of money but this uniform will generally be what you wear most of the time and you need it to look good.  It will also last you quite a bit longer.

Hope this helps.  Make sure you speak with your unit before making any purchases as they may have some stuff already there.

EMT-83

Quote from: will3947 on February 21, 2013, 02:37:51 AM
Im a cadet, and everything that everybody says, is CONFUSING THE BOB SAGGET OUT OF ME

Instead of asking anonymous folks on the Internet, why not ask your commander for clarification?

J2H

SSgt Jeffrey Hughes, Squadron NCO
Glenn L. Martin Composite Squadron MD-031

jimmydeanno

By paying your membership dues you are eligible to receive a free blues uniform (Flight Cap, Shirt, Trousers, Belt) from the Air Force through a program called the "Free Cadet Uniform Program."  It comes in the mail after a few weeks.  To order it:

1) Go to www.capnhq.gov
2) Create your login and follow the instructions that pop up.  Once your account is setup, you will be in your account main page. 
3) On the right side, there is a menu called "Cadet Uniform", click it.
4) On the left side, click "Order"
5) Follow the instructions and your uniform will come in the mail.

The uniform you got at your squadron meeting wasn't the free uniform you are eligible for.  It is something that they happened to have in stock from either donations or another cadet turning them in.

If you need BDUs (the camouflage uniform), you need to see if your local unit has a supply of them, or you'll have to buy them on your own.   
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

will3947

OK, can someone give me a list of what I need to buy EXACTLY?

lordmonar

Quote from: will3947 on February 21, 2013, 11:52:37 PM
OK, can someone give me a list of what I need to buy EXACTLY?
Yes Someone can.

Your flight Sgt, your Flight commander, First Serget, Cadet Commander, Leadership Officer, Deputy Commander for Cadet and/or your squadron commander.

which was what EMT-83 said second post.

Here is why.

a) We don't know what your squadron provides,
b) We don't know what optional items are required at your squadron.
c) One of the lessons all cadets should learn is how to properly seek information.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Sapper168

If you are going to be doing es you may want to look at getting one of these (http://bdu.com/mens-tru-spec-nylon-cotton-ripstop-tru-coats/woodland), I hear they are the cool new ES uniforms in some wings  >:D >:D  That was a joke don't actually get that for ES.

Actually you should ask and have your element leader help you with uniforms.
Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

The Infamous Meerkat

Okay guy, you're in my unit, send me a PM with your name and we'll get this figured out. In most cases, he (The Commander) has a valid point, you need a size bigger because you'll grow out of it, but that may not be true for you.
Captain Kevin Brizzi, CAP
SGT, USMC
Former C/TSgt, CAP
Former C/MAJ, Army JROTC

The Infamous Meerkat

Also, I can't speak for everyone, but I know for a fact that our unit stocks and supplies old BDU's and blues to everyone that they can, including jackets, belts, patches, ties, and so forth. My old unit HI-066 did this as well, and it's my understanding that this is a rather common, off-the-books practice. Can everyone else confirm or deny whether your unit does this as well?
Captain Kevin Brizzi, CAP
SGT, USMC
Former C/TSgt, CAP
Former C/MAJ, Army JROTC

Rick-DEL

We attempted it in the past (before i was a member) but it never got rolling. I would like to spin it back up.

NIN

Quote from: Ground_Pounder on February 22, 2013, 01:47:00 AM
If you are going to be doing es you may want to look at getting one of these (http://bdu.com/mens-tru-spec-nylon-cotton-ripstop-tru-coats/woodland), I hear they are the cool new ES uniforms in some wings  >:D >:D  That was a joke don't actually get that for ES.

Classic.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Phillip

Quote from: The Infamous Meerkat on February 22, 2013, 04:05:18 PM
Also, I can't speak for everyone, but I know for a fact that our unit stocks and supplies old BDU's and blues to everyone that they can, including jackets, belts, patches, ties, and so forth. My old unit HI-066 did this as well, and it's my understanding that this is a rather common, off-the-books practice. Can everyone else confirm or deny whether your unit does this as well?

Both my current and former squadrons do/did this.  BDUs usually, but not always, come from the Wing (who usually gets them from DRMO, the National Guard, etc) and the blues usually come from cadets outgrowing their previous set.
Captain