OBC ends Polo Debate

Started by Майор Хаткевич, October 04, 2012, 02:21:32 AM

JeffDG

Quote from: CyBorg on October 09, 2012, 06:04:39 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on October 09, 2012, 05:39:20 PM
Why can't we just go back to the olde rule - no hat, no salute. Problem solved.

Which would bring us back to the fact that there is no headgear (other than an undefined "CAP baseball hat" ::)) for the G/W.
Or the absurdity between the Blue Flight suit (has headgear) vs. the Blue Utility (indistinguishable except for the lack of Nomex) does not.

umpirecali

Quote from: Ground_Pounder on October 09, 2012, 05:37:34 PM
Senior Members. For senior members, the rendering of customs and courtesies is expected when wearing a military-style uniform (all
uniform combinations except the polo shirt and blazer). Regardless, CAP encourages all members to take part in something larger than
themselves by participating in these rich traditions.

Funny thing is i keep rereading this and keep coming back to this same thing.....  No where in this part of the regulation does it say the person in a military style uniform DOESN'T have to render C&C to someone not in a military style uniform aka polo shirt or blazer uniforms.  I only read that if a person is wearing the polo shirt they don't have to render C&C but are encouraged to.

Where is it actually written and spelled out in the regs that you DO NOT salute someone in a Polo/golf/knit shirt or blazer uniform?

It doesn't.  In fact, the opposite.  I have read several pieces of CAP literature that says to render C&C even when they are in civilian attire.  Since this thread is about OBC, I will quote that:

SALUTING GUIDELINES

• When outdoors and in uniform, salute military officers and other CAP officers higher in rank. NOTE: Military members DO NOT have to salute CAP members, regardless of rank.
  • Who salutes first if both are of the same grade? It is not necessary to salute but it is encouraged as a sign of mutual respect and a courtesy (and keeps you in the habit.)
  • The junior person initiates the salute a fair distance from the senior person, so that the senior has time to return the salute.
    Indoors, salute officers only when formally reporting (such as when called forward to receive an award). Offer a greeting such as, "Good morning, ma'am," when exchanging salutes.
  • When in formation, do not salute unless commanded to present arms. The commander salutes for the unit if an officer approaches.
  • When in uniform, salute senior officers upon recognition. While not required, it's nice if you also do so if the senior officer isn't in uniform, just as a sign of respect. For example, uniformed cadets salute their squadron commander even if that commander is in civilian attire. In such instances, the commander typically would verbally acknowledge the salute, but not return it.
  • On a military installation, salute international officers as a sign of goodwill.

Capt Chris Cali, CAP
Deputy Commander
Deputy Commander for Cadets

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: JeffDG on October 09, 2012, 06:57:42 PM
Or the absurdity between the Blue Flight suit (has headgear) vs. the Blue Utility (indistinguishable except for the lack of Nomex) does not.

Even more absurd for a multitude of reasons.

There's no way to tell unless you demand to see the manufacturer's tag, or if it's recognisably mediocre-quality (like the overpriced bag VG sells).

As well, it's a "CAP-specific" uniform, but yet it's OK to wear the flight cap with it (what happened to "mixing civilian with military?")!  Of course, I saw people wearing the flight cap with the Smurf suit years ago.

I have a SAC missileer's blue bag, which is military issue, though it's not NOMEX, and it's identical in cut to the NOMEX bag.

I don't know of anyone who has (yet) been called on wearing the blue flight cap with the non-NOMEX bag.

Quote from: umpirecali on October 09, 2012, 09:00:50 PM
On a military installation, salute international officers as a sign of goodwill.

My first squadron CC spent a fair bit of time at Maxwell.  He said "I used to see Brits, French, Germans, Canadians, Aussies, you name it, and I saluted them all to be on the safe side.  I might have been saluting a Corporal, but it's never improper to salute."
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Dracosbane

Senior Members. For senior members, the rendering of customs and courtesies is expected when wearing a military-style uniform (all
uniform combinations except the polo shirt and blazer
). Regardless, CAP encourages all members to take part in something larger than
themselves by participating in these rich traditions.

Forgive me for interjecting here, but I see an argument over this passage as written as being confusing as to whether or not the blazer or polo shirt should be saluted/should salute.

People are seeing the phrase "except the polo shirt and blazer" as to be excluded from the proprieties of saluting when in fact the proper grammatical usage of the phrase is actually modifying "military-style uniform" and not the word "expected" in the sentence. 

What the phrase emboldened above actually is making sure that they are distinguishing the polo and blazer uniforms from the military style, i.e. G/Ws, BBDUs, blue flight suits, and all AF styles.  The polo and blazer uniforms are uniforms, they are just not military style.

By the rest of the statement, you are expected while in military style uniforms to render proper C&Cs, and you should render proper C&Cs in the polo or blazer even though they are not military style.