Class A's at events

Started by Wing, April 01, 2012, 07:41:14 PM

Wing

Hello, I have a question that might be coming soon.
My sister is going to get married and I would like to know if I could wear my Class a's to the wedding or if it is against the 39-1 and its not a CAP event.
I know this might be a dumb questions but the only stupid question is the one not asked.

Thank you
Airman Isaac Wilke
GLR-WI-055

RogueLeader

Ask your commander.  I don't see an issue if it is a military or cap wedding.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Eclipse

See KB answer #: 802

The CAP uniform may be worn to social events related to CAP activities. However, it would not be appropriate to wear the CAP uniform to a school dance or other civilian function which had no specific ties to CAP. Exceptions: Wearing the CAP uniform would be appropriate when participating in posting the colors or similar activities at a school function, attending a military ball or if the school dance were being held on a military installation. There are time restrictions on wearing the uniform after the close of activities.   Civil Air Patrol personnel may, of course, attend church and grave site funeral services of a fellow CAP member in uniform. For additional guidance on wearing the CAP uniform on a particular occasion which may support the image and objectives of CAP, recommend discussing the situation with your unit commander.

"That Others May Zoom"

Wing

Airman Isaac Wilke
GLR-WI-055

Proudusamember

Officially like Eclipse said the answer is no unless it's a military wedding. But personal this is one of those rules were its there but not really enforced. If someone is proud to were there uniform and that have their squadrons CC's approval i can't see why it wouldn't be ok to.   
Grayson Grantham, Capt, CAP
Emergency Services Officer
Communications Officer
Seacoast Composite Squadron

"I am a Blue Beret"
Support Search & Rescue, GET LOST!

davidsinn

Quote from: Proudusamember on April 01, 2012, 07:59:04 PM
Officially like Eclipse said the answer is no unless it's a military wedding. But personal this is one of those rules were its there but not really enforced. If someone is proud to were there uniform and that have their squadrons CC's approval i can't see why it wouldn't be ok to.

Integrity?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Proudusamember

You could pull the integrity card but what's one great way to recruited members is by wearing your uniform out if it's appropriate. Face it, cadets do it and I'd rather make sure they have permission and are representing CAP in a good way then them doing it behind our backs.
Grayson Grantham, Capt, CAP
Emergency Services Officer
Communications Officer
Seacoast Composite Squadron

"I am a Blue Beret"
Support Search & Rescue, GET LOST!

davidsinn

Quote from: Proudusamember on April 01, 2012, 08:07:57 PM
great way to recruited members is by wearing your uniform

I agree, however telling someone to violate a rule because it's not really enforced is not something we should be teaching cadets. It's something that should be avoided if at all possible, not encouraged.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: davidsinn on April 01, 2012, 08:11:32 PM

I agree, however telling someone to violate a rule because it's not really enforced is not something we should be teaching cadets. It's something that should be avoided if at all possible, not encouraged.
+1.

But if the squadron commander designates the event as a CAP function, the cadet can wear his uniform, correct?
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Eclipse

You could pull the integrity card but what's one great way to recruited members is by wearing your uniform out if it's appropriate. Face it, cadets do it and I'd rather make sure they have permission and are representing CAP in a good way then them doing it behind our backs.

The answer is in your question.

That anyone "does it", is irrelevant to the regs and what is correct.

The first question I generally ask is "Will the be anyone else there in uniform?"

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on April 01, 2012, 08:14:04 PM
But if the squadron commander designates the event as a CAP function, the cadet can wear his uniform, correct?

How is a Unit CC, or anyone else, going to justify designating a civilian wedding as a "CAP function"?

"That Others May Zoom"

davidsinn

Quote from: davidsinn on April 01, 2012, 08:11:32 PM

+1.

How is one cadet, without SM supervision, attending his sister's wedding, a CAP function?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

The CyBorg is destroyed

I got married in my service dress.

My then-CC knew about it, because he was invited to the wedding.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

FlyTiger77

"No" really does mean "no." There actually isn't any gray area.
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on April 01, 2012, 08:16:21 PM

The answer is in your question.

That anyone "does it", is irrelevant to the regs and what is correct.

The first question I generally ask is "Will the be anyone else there in uniform?"

How is a Unit CC, or anyone else, going to justify designating a civilian wedding as a "CAP function"?
CAP members are attending?  It is a CAP function....see easy.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

lordmonar

Quote from: FlyTiger77 on April 01, 2012, 09:08:12 PM

"No" really does mean "no." There actually isn't any gray area.
Actually it does not say "no" it sayd see your commander.

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on April 02, 2012, 01:11:30 AMction"?
CAP members are attending?  It is a CAP function....see easy.[/quote]

That's not how it works and you know it.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on April 02, 2012, 01:28:54 AM
Quote from: lordmonar on April 02, 2012, 01:11:30 AM
CAP members are attending?  It is a CAP function....see easy.

That's not how it works and you know it.
My point is instead of jumping up and down on the "that's not in the reg" when the best advice has already been given.

Got a question about the regs....don't ask me and you on CAPTALK go see your chain of command!
Need an interpetation of the regs.....don't ask some random faceless semi anonymous person on CAPTALK....go ask your chain of command......interpeting the regs is their bloody job.

Finally.......If I am the commander and I give my permission to one of my members.....unless you are MY group, wing, region or national commander.....you had better not be countermanding me or undermineing my authority!  THAT IS NOT HOW THAT WORKS!

Sorry for the rant.

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on April 02, 2012, 01:59:45 AMFinally.......If I am the commander and I give my permission to one of my members.....unless you are MY group, wing, region or national commander.....you had better not be countermanding me or undermineing my authority!  THAT IS NOT HOW THAT WORKS!

There is no "authority" to countermand - you can certainly argue that a unit CC can authorize a cadet to wear a uniform to a respective civilian
activity, however that authorization doesn't, in and of itself, make it a "CAP Activity".

If your authority can be countermanded by people on an internet forum, well, you've got bigger issues than wearing a uniform to a wedding.

"That Others May Zoom"

AngelWings

I'd advise against it. You'll feel awkward in a dress uniform if the event is formal IE black tie or above. The semi-formal is what you'd want to wear, even though again, I'd advise against wearing a uniform. The semi-formal is the closet to a black tie suit that you can get.

My reasons for not wearing a uniform are: You'll feel out of place and look it too (considering how it isn't a military wedding and you're not in the military so you'd be "out of regs"), if you do something that isn't professional or is stupid you'll bring discredit on our organization (I've done a few stupid things in uniform and in public that I regret, so trust me, you don't want to even risk it), and most importantly, you don't want to out-do the groom  ;)

If you do wear a dress uniform, make sure it looks perfect and that no matter what, you have fun.