VFW and AFA Ribbon Wear by SM

Started by Майор Хаткевич, August 01, 2010, 04:44:53 AM

Майор Хаткевич

Are the VFW and AFA Ribbons Authorized for wear by SMs?

Also,

Since LVL2 Requires a Technician Rating for the "Leadership/Davis" Award, how exactly does it work?

http://www.capmembers.com/cap_university/level_ii_technical_training.cfm states that "The Technician Rating qualifies you for the Leadership Ribbon", however further on it states that:

QuoteTo complete this level and earn the Benjamin O. Davis, Jr. Award, you will: 
1.Become technician rated in a specialty track (earning the leadership ribbon) nearly limitless possibilities and opportunities. To view specialty track guides click here .
2. Complete the "CAP Officer Basic Course.
3. Youwill also complete the Squadron Leadership School (SLS) which providesCAP's adult members with a basic understanding of CAP operations at thesquadron level and how those operations affect CAP's national missions.Additionally, members learn more about CAP customs, core values, andcommunications. Case studies, discussion, and group assignments areintegral facets of the SLS.[/l]
I'm assuming the second one is more correct.

arajca

The Leadershp and Davis awards are separate items, not one award. When you earn a Technician rating, you are awarded the Leadership Award. When you complete Level II, you get the Davis Award - no ribbon for it.

Tim Medeiros

VFW/AFA - no

It is easier to think of them as a Davis Ribbon and a Davis Award, Ribbon = tech rating, Award = Level 2.

edit: corrected spelling
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Tim Medeiros on August 01, 2010, 04:57:21 AM
VFA/AFA - no

It is easier to think of them as a Davis Ribbon and a Davis Award, Ribbon = tech rating, Award = Level 2.

So Earhart by Default earns Davis Ribbon. Heh.

Just checked CAPR 39-3 on the AFA ribbon...guess there's a Cadet-turned-Senior that got away with it for a while since I've known him for the last 4 years.

On another note, it appears that all that's needed for Level 2 is Technician Rating, CAP Officer Basic Course, and SLS.

The last two requirements can be completed online. Then just the wait time between 1st Lt and Captain.

QuoteFor Capt: Completion of all
requirements for Level II
(Certificate of Proficiency), 18
months time in grade as a 1st Lt.
For SFO: Completion of all
requirements for Level II
(Certificate of Proficiency), 12
months time in grade as a TFO.

Looks like those who join after 18 but before 21, get promoted faster.

JC004

It's probably for the best.  The AFA ribbon is ugly.  I never wore mine WIWAC.  At one point, I ditched two ribbons.  AFA was one.

Майор Хаткевич

Indeed it is. AFA is butt-ugly, but the AFSA is ok looking, which is what the cadet-turned-SM has.

spacecommand

You should professionally and privately tell said senior member that that particular ribbon he is wearing is unauthorized for senior members to wear.

ßτε

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on August 01, 2010, 05:01:02 AM
So Earhart by Default earns Davis Ribbon. Heh.
Yes, with unit commander approval. It is not automatic. See CAPR 50-17 para. 9-1.
Also, you would have earned the CP specialty badge.

On another note, it appears that all that's needed for Level 2 is Technician Rating, CAP Officer Basic Course, and SLS.

The last two requirements can be completed online. Then just the wait time between 1st Lt and Captain.
That is all that is needed for Level II.
In your case, you start waiting 18 months when you turn 21 and your unit commander approves a CAPF 2 for promotion to 1st Lt and it is processed at NHQ. Also remember that those in Patron status cannot be promoted.

Looks like those who join after 18 but before 21, get promoted faster.
That is true, but it is because there are only three years to make three FO grades.
Also realize that, for instance, SFO doesn't get directly promoted to Capt when reaching 21.
For a SFO to be eligible for Capt at 21, he or she would need 18 months TIG as SFO, or the Spaatz award.

EMT-83

Quote from: Tim Medeiros on August 01, 2010, 04:57:21 AM
VFW/AFA - no

No. There is no Davis Ribbon.

The Leadership Ribbon is a prerequisite to the Davis Award.

Two completely different items which are part of Level 2.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: bte on August 01, 2010, 02:03:48 PM
Also realize that, for instance, SFO doesn't get directly promoted to Capt when reaching 21.
For a SFO to be eligible for Capt at 21, he or she would need 18 months TIG as SFO, or the Spaatz award.

My question was though, how does the TIG work out for those who don't make it 12 months under 21? Does the counter reset? Take into account the time spent as TFO.

SARDOC

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on August 01, 2010, 04:06:53 PM

My question was though, how does the TIG work out for those who don't make it 12 months under 21? Does the counter reset? Take into account the time spent as TFO.

Promotion To Minimum Skill Level I Time-In-Grade
2d Lt Level 1 6 months as senior member

1st Lt Tech Rating 12 months as 2d Lt or TFO
(Specialty Track) (or combination thereof)

Captain Level II 18 months as 1st Lt or SFO
(or combination thereof)

Major Level III 3 years as Captain

Lt Col Level IV 4 years as Major

No the time is included.  It does not reset, it's continuous but when you turn 21 you must meet the TIG requirement for the rank to which you are being appointed.  ie.  you are a TFO for 11 mos, when you turn 21...you would have been eligible to promote to SFO in a Month, but at age 21 your are converted to 1st LT...you must wait another 7 mos before promotion to Captain.  If you had completed the 12 mos TIG as TFO and promoted to SFO before your Birthday on your 21st Bday you are converted to Captain.

ßτε

Quote from: SARDOC on August 01, 2010, 04:37:26 PM

(or combination thereof)

No the time is included.  It does not reset, it's continuous but when you turn 21 you must meet the TIG requirement for the rank to which you are being appointed.  ie.  you are a TFO for 11 mos, when you turn 21...you would have been eligible to promote to SFO in a Month, but at age 21 your are converted to 1st LT...you must wait another 7 mos before promotion to Captain.  If you had completed the 12 mos TIG as TFO and promoted to SFO before your Birthday on your 21st Bday you are converted to Captain.

The underlined part is incorrect.

TIG at TFO does not count for promotion to Capt. Only TIG at SFO and 1st Lt count toward Capt.

SFO does not promote directly to Capt. The SFO must have 18 months TIG to be eligible for Capt. Otherwise,  they are promoted to 1st Lt until the combined TIG at SFO and 1st Lt reaches 18 months. 

ßτε

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on August 01, 2010, 04:06:53 PM

For Earhart cadets turning senior as a 20 year old, the TIG as TFO will count for nothing. There is not enough time to promote to SFO. At 21, you will be eligible for 1st Lt because of you Earhart. So TFO TIG won't help there, since it counts for promotion to 1st Lt and not Capt. At age 21, you are in the same situation as far as TIG is concerned as an Earhart cadet becoming a senior member upon turning 21.

Senior members who promote to TFO before tuning 20 may promote to SFO before turning 21.  Any time served as SFO will count toward TIG requirements for promotion to Capt.

SJFedor

Why do we have the same conversation going on in like 3 threads?  :o

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Майор Хаткевич

It came from Lvl2/Leadership Ribbon/Promotion, and due to me got tied down in two threads.

SARDOC

Quote from: bte on August 01, 2010, 08:43:31 PM
Quote from: SARDOC on August 01, 2010, 04:37:26 PM

(or combination thereof)

The underlined part is incorrect.

TIG at TFO does not count for promotion to Capt. Only TIG at SFO and 1st Lt count toward Capt.

SFO does not promote directly to Capt. The SFO must have 18 months TIG to be eligible for Capt. Otherwise,  they are promoted to 1st Lt until the combined TIG at SFO and 1st Lt reaches 18 months.

My Bad you're right... I misread that section