Skill Evaluator - Mission Pilot

Started by etodd, June 25, 2018, 07:05:08 PM

etodd

I'm a Skills Evaluator for MS, MO, AP.  Looking at my Skill Evaluator Page in Ops Quals, it says a I have the Qualifications to be an Evaluator for "MP - SAR/DR Mission Pilot".

Looking in 'old info' it appears at one time you could give a Form 91 as an MP Evaluator, without being a CFI.

Has that changed? Looking in 60-3 and the new 70-1, I can't see anything in regards to getting designated separately as a Mission Checkride Pilot as opposed to a CAP Checkride Pilot who is a CFI and can give F5s.

(Probably right in front of my face and I keep overlooking it.)
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

jayleswo

In Operations Qualifications, click on What Do I Need on the menu on the left under Pilot. Select Mission Check Pilot. You do need to be a Mission Check Pilot to administer a F91 Checkride. A MP evaluator (SET) can sign off tasks on the SQTR but that is all. That should get you going I hope.
John Aylesworth, Lt Col CAP

SAR/DR MP, Mission Check Pilot Examiner, Master Observer
Earhart #1139 FEB 1982

etodd

Quote from: jayleswo on June 25, 2018, 07:41:39 PM

A MP evaluator (SET) can sign off tasks on the SQTR but that is all.

Ah yes. Now that makes perfect sense.

As to the "What Do I Need" area, I would need the National Check Pilot Standards Course, for one thing, to continue on to MP Check Pilot.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

jayleswo

Yes. Your Wing DOV can tell you when one is planned and hopefully get you signed up. You will need to be evaluated as a candidate Mission Check Pilot where you evaluate a F91 candidate from the right seat with a Mission Check Pilot Examiner in the back seat (this is the CAP Mission Check Pilot Checkout requirement). At least, that's what we do here in CAWG.
John Aylesworth, Lt Col CAP

SAR/DR MP, Mission Check Pilot Examiner, Master Observer
Earhart #1139 FEB 1982

Blanding

Quote from: jayleswo on June 25, 2018, 08:04:41 PM
Yes. Your Wing DOV can tell you when one is planned and hopefully get you signed up. You will need to be evaluated as a candidate Mission Check Pilot where you evaluate a F91 candidate from the right seat with a Mission Check Pilot Examiner in the back seat (this is the CAP Mission Check Pilot Checkout requirement). At least, that's what we do here in CAWG.

This procedure appears to be a California local one - personally I was designated a Mission Check Pilot without having to demonstrate evaluation from the right seat.

The 70-1 references 60-3 for qualification of mission check pilots... 60-3 makes approximately 0 references to the requirements to be designated one.

The Form 91 has a block that says "Has demonstrated proficiency required to fly as a mission check pilot..." which can be checked by a mission check pilot examiner (as appointed in eServices under ops quals - pilot appointments).

As far as I can tell, the official requirements for being designated a mission check pilot by a check pilot examiner are:

25 Mission Sorties (actual and/or training) as a SAR/DR Mission Pilot
CAP Mission Check Pilot Checkout
National Check Pilot Standards Course
The Check Pilot Examiner decides to check the box