Cadet Membership Upper Age Change?

Started by RADIOMAN015, May 29, 2010, 06:27:36 PM

Bluelakes 13

Presuming up to 2 months to get the Curry and less than a month to take the Spaatz after the Eaker, there are 40 months.  Join at 12 - Spaatz at just under 16.  But very few never miss a beat.

lordmonar

Quote from: Marshalus on June 03, 2010, 06:43:59 PM
Unless they're prior enlisted choosing to keep their RM grade, and not participating in PD, why would any SMWOG be a commander of any size in CAP? I'm now within sight of my butter bars and I can say without hesitation I am no where near qualified to run a squadron.

All fight officers are listed as SMWOG grades in E-services.

As far as who can be a squadron commander....the only criteria is having completed Level 1.   And the time and time again the main quality CAP looks for in their leaders is stepping up to the plate.  So in principle I agree with you......a FO...heck even some Capts are not qualified to be squadron commanders.....but they may be the only ones willing to do the job.

But that is an argument for a different thread.  :P
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Al Sayre

Quote from: lordmonar on June 03, 2010, 07:39:01 PM

[snip]
As far as who can be a squadron commander....the only criteria is having completed Level 1.   [snip]

And breathing, don't forget breathing. 

Marshallus, be careful you don't miss any meetings, that's how a lot of us got the job...   >:D
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

HGjunkie

Unless they're prior enlisted choosing to keep their RM grade, and not participating in PD, why would any SMWOG be a commander of any size in CAP? I'm now within sight of my butter bars and I can say without hesitation I am no where near qualified to run a squadron.

As far as who can be a squadron commander....the only criteria is having completed Level 1.   And the time and time again the main quality CAP looks for in their leaders is stepping up to the plate.  So in principle I agree with you......a FO...heck even some Capts are not qualified to be squadron commanders.....but they may be the only ones willing to do the job.

I have to disagree with that. My Sq. commander was a 1st Lt and he was an extremely capable leader of cadets. Then he turned Captain, and it is still a very good experience for my flight of cadets to have a Sq. commander like ours.
I guess that's just my Sq. though.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

vmstan

Quote from: Al Sayre on June 04, 2010, 12:21:49 AM

[snip]
As far as who can be a squadron commander....the only criteria is having completed Level 1.   [snip]

And breathing, don't forget breathing. 

Marshallus, be careful you don't miss any meetings, that's how a lot of us got the job...   >:D

Oh, I have no doubt. For a while I was picking up a new staff position each week, now it's slowed to about once a month.
MICHAEL M STANCLIFT, 1st Lt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer, NCR-KS-055, Heartland Squadron

Quote"I wish to compliment NHQ on this extremely well and clearly written regulation.
This publication once and for all should establish the uniform pattern to be followed
throughout Civil Air Patrol."

1949 Uniform and Insignia Committee comment on CAP Reg 35-4

lordmonar

Quote from: HGjunkie on June 04, 2010, 01:25:36 AM

I have to disagree with that. My Sq. commander was a 1st Lt and he was an extremely capable leader of cadets. Then he turned Captain, and it is still a very good experience for my flight of cadets to have a Sq. commander like ours.

Which part of "some" are you haveing trouble of understanding?

I was a lowly 2d Lt when I got chucked into the commander's seat...I was not trained and not really ready for the job....I made a lot of mistakes.  Second time around I was a Capt and still making mistakes.

So good on you that you got a good commander who is only a Lt.

Now back to our story.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

HGjunkie

Quote from: lordmonar on June 04, 2010, 03:04:28 AM
Quote from: HGjunkie on June 04, 2010, 01:25:36 AM

Which part of "some" are you haveing trouble of understanding?

I was a lowly 2d Lt when I got chucked into the commander's seat...I was not trained and not really ready for the job....I made a lot of mistakes.  Second time around I was a Capt and still making mistakes.

So good on you that you got a good commander who is only a Lt.

Now back to our story.

umm... in case you couldn't read it, he promoted to captain now. I guess every body's commander is different.
YMMV
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: HGjunkie on June 05, 2010, 08:58:02 PM
I guess every body's commander is different.

...until they reach Major, at which time they all magically synchronize and become robots.

Of course all commanders are different, just like all cadet NCOs are different.  (Or is it safe to say you're the exact carbon-copy of each and every other C/SSgt in the program?) That was kinda the point of the past few posts...

HGjunkie

Quote from: PhoenixCadet on June 06, 2010, 02:35:15 AM
Quote from: HGjunkie on June 05, 2010, 08:58:02 PM
I guess every body's commander is different.

...until they reach Major, at which time they all magically synchronize and become robots.

Of course all commanders are different, just like all cadet NCOs are different.  (Or is it safe to say you're the exact carbon-copy of each and every other C/SSgt in the program?) That was kinda the point of the past few posts...
Exactly, my old Sq. commander was a major and he was completely terrible at being a squadron commander.

not too sure how other C/SSgts are.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: HGjunkie on June 06, 2010, 01:29:10 PM
Exactly, my old Sq. commander was a major and he was completely terrible at being a squadron commander.

That was sarcasm....

HGjunkie

sarcasm marks would have been helpful.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

High Speed Low Drag

If the different-aged cadets were togther for an extended time (a month or more) for at least 6 hours a day, I can see where ZigZag's point may have bearing.  But the amount of time that they are together is not enough time for those points to come into play.  If anything, having the different age ranges are a benefit to the program.
G. St. Pierre                             

"WIWAC, we marched 5 miles every meeting, uphill both ways!!"

DakRadz

FACEPALM

It's okay, you're still somewhat new  ;)

HGjunkie

Quote from: DakRadz on June 13, 2010, 09:11:37 PM

FACEPALM

It's okay, you're still somewhat new  ;)
8)
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

ZigZag911

Quote from: High Speed Low Drag on June 11, 2010, 05:00:56 PM
If the different-aged cadets were togther for an extended time (a month or more) for at least 6 hours a day, I can see where ZigZag's point may have bearing.  But the amount of time that they are together is not enough time for those points to come into play.  If anything, having the different age ranges are a benefit to the program.

My point is dual:

1) on overnight activities (courses, encampments, NCSAs, etc.)
2) socializing outside formal CAP meeting time

I am not saying the 18-21 y.o. age group should have nothing to do with younger cadets, but that they should have separate status, separate program, and especially separate quarters when necessary.

DakRadz

Technically, it's 18-20, unless I'm much mistaken. I was under the impression that cadets became seniors on the 21st birthday.

I'll be 18 in 6 months- I've joined only a year ago, already nearing my Mitchell, and am the C/CC in all but rank. I give and participate actively.

You can't lump all of us together, just because of a bad experience/situation with a few.

Golly gee willikers, if I don't get selected for a service academy, I've selected my college so that I can be active in MY current unit. I wouldn't be C/CC, more an advisor, but I certainly want to continue my give/take relationship with CAP- and mostly it's give, out of my wallet.

ZigZag911

Quote from: DakRadz on June 15, 2010, 02:22:26 AM
Technically, it's 18-20, unless I'm much mistaken. I was under the impression that cadets became seniors on the 21st birthday.

I'll be 18 in 6 months- I've joined only a year ago, already nearing my Mitchell, and am the C/CC in all but rank. I give and participate actively.

You can't lump all of us together, just because of a bad experience/situation with a few.

Golly gee willikers, if I don't get selected for a service academy, I've selected my college so that I can be active in MY current unit. I wouldn't be C/CC, more an advisor, but I certainly want to continue my give/take relationship with CAP- and mostly it's give, out of my wallet.

I joined late too, almost 17 y.o., I understand....I'm not saying cut 18-20 y.o off at the knees, but I think more age separation is necessary and beneficial -- not because of any particular isolated incidents, but because of the gap in maturity between, for instance, a 13-14 y.o. and an 18 y.o.

Eclipse

At 21, cadets become former members unless they apply for senior status.

"That Others May Zoom"

DakRadz

Quote from: Eclipse on June 15, 2010, 04:48:40 PM

At 21, cadets become former members unless they apply for senior status.

Roger. Thanks for the input, I haven't quite mastered the regs yet  ::)

a2capt

Actually, I do believe it's "Patron" member, not former, as they don't just kick you out.