Vision 2009: What I hope CAP will accomplish

Started by Pylon, December 29, 2008, 04:11:53 PM

arajca

Quote from: Eclipse on December 29, 2008, 11:45:51 PM
Quote from: arajca on December 29, 2008, 05:12:09 PM
3. Enter a national contract with Fedex/Kinko's or other major nation-wide copy shop to provide printing services for PD courses. The director sends in the form, designates the local shop, and national sends and pays for the print order. The director (or designee) picks up the materials a couple days before the class. Expand this to cover UCC and TLC in addition to SLS and CLC.

No thank you.  In this day and age, why anyone would be spending the exorbitant amounts these places charge for printing is beyond me.  I could literally buy a new printer and a ream of paper, and dispose of it afterward for less than they would charge. 
Which is why National needs to set up a contract. Corporations do not pay standard pricing.

QuoteFirst, the materials aren't really needed for the classes anyway, second, they are all available online.  Send participants the links, and print one or two to have on hand.  If they want them, they can print them, or bring them on their notebooks, PDA, or Kindle.

As of this minute, besides donuts or lunch, SLS/CLC/TLC, etc., should be held at ZERO MEMBER COST. 
Are you advocating the Check Box mentality toward PD courses? For a simple, 30 - 60 min class, you could probably get away without having student materials, as long as you do not expect them to actually learn anything. Your statement about not needing the materials shows the low regard you have for CAP training. When directed TLC, I did send the students the links to the materials. I still had about half who wanted a printed copy because they didn't have the time to spend printing averything out and babysitting their printers while doing so. Neither did I. I gave them the option and let them know what my providing the hardcopy materials would cost. Having students work on their notebooks during a class is very distracting to the instructor and other students. BTDT.

As for the zero member cost, that's why National pays for the printing, not the director or the member. See emphasized section.

Eclipse

Quote from: arajca on December 30, 2008, 02:56:41 PM
As of this minute, besides donuts or lunch, SLS/CLC/TLC, etc., should be held at ZERO MEMBER COST. 
Are you advocating the Check Box mentality toward PD courses? For a simple, 30 - 60 min class, you could probably get away without having student materials, as long as you do not expect them to actually learn anything. Your statement about not needing the materials shows the low regard you have for CAP training. When directed TLC, I did send the students the links to the materials. I still had about half who wanted a printed copy because they didn't have the time to spend printing averything out and babysitting their printers while doing so. Neither did I. I gave them the option and let them know what my providing the hardcopy materials would cost. Having students work on their notebooks during a class is very distracting to the instructor and other students. BTDT.[/quote]

No, it shows that I have a calendar, and my members have devices that allow them to view the materials without paper - last I checked this was 2008. 

Members who can't be bothered to "babysit a printer", especially when it saves them money?  You're reaching.

I stand by my statement that the materials are unnecessary for successful, rich sessions of the new SLS/CLC/TLC.   These are discussion based curriculum, not the old days of people standing in front of the room reading the slides they have never before seen in their lives until that moment.

"That Others May Zoom"

Capt Rivera

I have to agree with Eclipse. All you need is a prepared instructor, & interested and active students. Those students should take the notes they need for future reference.

The materials I've received thus far at CAP courses only served as note paper and even then it was a waste. The notes I took could have easily fit on a few sheets of paper and I would reference them more. The courses where I received 50 pages and took a 1 or 2 line note here and there never get looked at. In fact they are on the list of things to go threw and recycle.

If materials are handed out they should be of specific need. Charts/graphs etc...  I don't need a print out of every slide or a fully expanded outline.
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

SarDragon

Not everybody is the same when it comes to retaining material. In many of the classes I've taught (primarily Level I, BCUT/ACUT/MRO, and SLS), the students have frequently thanked me for the printed materials. I've found it better to err on the side of providing more than less when it comes to providing printed matter. As as student, if you don't see a need to retain the stuff they give you, don't write in/on it, and return it to the instructor.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret