Main Menu

Volunteer Magazine

Started by Flying Pig, November 27, 2008, 12:20:55 AM

SilverEagle2

QuoteOr...we could just wear it correctly and then no one would have an issue. 

Which is what I was saying really.

The thing is, because I am a former NCC cadet, I am really particular about my uniforms as a senior.

(Perhaps a NSC would be helpful  ;))
     Jason R. Hess, Col, CAP
Commander, Rocky Mountain Region

"People are not excellent because they achieve great things;
they achieve great things because they choose to be excellent."
Gerald G. Probst,
Beloved Grandfather, WWII B-24 Pilot, Successful Businessman

SarDragon

Quote from: PaulR on November 27, 2008, 05:06:42 PM
Can someone please Imageshack(or other image hosting link) a photo of the cover here?

Here.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

DC

And here is the original, un-edited version..

http://mhuchette.albumpost.com/2008HurricaneIke%2CTexasCoverage/DSC_8371?full=1

Her rank looks way crooked too, they didn't even try to fix that...

Duke Dillio

Please tell me that is not a GTL badge over her name.....

Does someone on here know her?

SarDragon

There was some commentary on Cadet Stuff that I can't seem to locate. Someone on there knew her.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

arajca

Quote from: Sqn72DO on November 27, 2008, 07:21:05 PM
Please tell me that is not a GTL badge over her name.....

I could, but I'd be lying...

cap235629

Quote from: winterg on November 27, 2008, 05:57:44 PM
Quote from: cap235629 on November 27, 2008, 05:37:55 AM
Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on November 27, 2008, 01:27:40 AM

That lardbucket 400-pound second lieutenant squeezed into her BDU has No. Friggin. Business. in an Air Force uniform. It's disrespectful, especially when CAP has uniforms for Lardo-Americans and those who are hair-endowed. Wear the corporate grays, folks.
And frankly, if we can't tell Lt. Fatso (or, for that matter, FO C.C. DeVille) to get out of a uniform she has no business in, someone with Air Force authority should be allowed to. (I actually saw this image recently, and yes, those were CAP nametapes and a Florida patch on her shoulder, at a non-CAP public event.)
Respect for the uniform reflects self-respect and respect for the organization. And having the opportunity to wear a CAP uniform doesn't come as an entitlement.
These comments, in my opinion, are MORE disrespectful than any uniform violation.  Though I agree with you about the proper wear of the uniform (I am the squadron uniform nazi AND a fat and fuzzy), your total lack of respect for fellow members reflects horribly on you, your chain of command and CAP.
Make observations but do not attack people who are contributing to the program based upon your personal contempt for people not meeting your idea of what a CAP member should look like.

Well maybe it needs to be said more.  I see nothing wrong with his comments.  How sad is it that a Lt. Col. cannot wear a uniform correctly and it needs to be photoshopped to be presentable.  And sadly, the only other photos they had available were most likely worse.  Maybe it's time someone started shouting from the mountain top that we need to reevaluate what we're doing and get back to basics. 

And if I hear one more person complain that I'm discriminating against overweight members I'll scream.  Put the [deleted] bag of chips down and take a fricking walk once in a while!  Your contribution IS valuable, but being overweight is NOT a disability.

Not discriminating, just showing a lack of tolerance.  CAP is NOT the military and I wish people would either join the Military or realize that from our inception CAP was and is a way of serving this great nation for those who do NOT meet military standards.  Had the original members met these standards I would add that there probably would not be a CAP as those members would have been overseas serving on Active Duty.

As far as the potato chip comment.  I wish it were that easy.  My weight problem is DIRECTLY CONNECTED with my SERVICE CONNECTED disability.  I am sick and tired of the whole CAP commando crowd thinking they are actually in the military and trying to enforce a standard that is NOT REQUIRED as a condition of membership.  Most of those who complain the loudest have never served a day in the actual military and would probably not be able to handle the first day of basic training, because reality seems to escape them.  Now that I have compromised myself by sinking to this level I will sit back and salute those CAP Colonels with all the bling who have never heard a shot fired in anger, never ate MRE's long enough to no longer think they are cool and would probably never make NCO nevermind Colonel in the RM.

And before you start flaming make sure you read the post again.  I said MOST as in not all, there are exceptions to every rule.
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: SarDragon on November 27, 2008, 07:23:52 PM
There was some commentary on Cadet Stuff that I can't seem to locate. Someone on there knew her.

I know her very well... before she succumbed to being a 'wing weenie' (she's TXWG/SE) she was a member of my squadron and still calls it home. For the most part she's pretty good about wearing the uniform well, considering she's quite petite. Sometimes she asks me (the squadron's uniform authority) if she is wearing an item correctly; if she isn't I've mentioned it tactfully and diplomatically.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

JoeTomasone

Quote from: cap235629 on November 27, 2008, 09:26:12 PM
CAP is NOT the military and I wish people would either join the Military or realize that from our inception CAP was and is a way of serving this great nation for those who do NOT meet military standards.  Had the original members met these standards I would add that there probably would not be a CAP as those members would have been overseas serving on Active Duty.

I have to take issue with this.   CAP is a military affiliated organization with standards that are identical to, comparable with, or inspired by those of the military.   If you want to volunteer without all of the military aspects, then there are tons of organizations that would be overjoyed to add another member to their ranks.    But as long as you are a member of CAP, you should be wearing your uniform properly, practicing OPSEC -- in fact, observing all of the regulations - in fact, you signed an oath to do so (on your Senior Member application, presuming you are not a Cadet).    If that's not your cup of tea, the Scouts, Salvation Army, and every soup kitchen on the planet are all looking for people to contribute to their programs.   If everyone in CAP who acts like only the aspects they are interested in matter were to either get a quick change of heart and make the effort to comply with the regs or just simply quit, we wouldn't even have to discuss this Lt. Col., who is now being held up as the poster child for bad uniform wear simply because National chose her instead of what surely were dozens of examples.

Quite frankly, I'm getting tired of the excuses like "39-1 is too big" and "you're the only one who has ever said anything about it".   

</rant>

Sorry, I'm in a bad mood because my turkey isn't ready yet.  :)    I know that CAP is not the RM and the experiences are totally different -- but I hold that within the context of being a CAP member, that argument is pointless.

You may now resume your Volunteer Magazine thread, already in progress....

winterg

Quote from: cap235629 on November 27, 2008, 09:26:12 PM
Quote from: winterg on November 27, 2008, 05:57:44 PM
Quote from: cap235629 on November 27, 2008, 05:37:55 AM
Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on November 27, 2008, 01:27:40 AM

That lardbucket 400-pound second lieutenant squeezed into her BDU has No. Friggin. Business. in an Air Force uniform. It's disrespectful, especially when CAP has uniforms for Lardo-Americans and those who are hair-endowed. Wear the corporate grays, folks.
And frankly, if we can't tell Lt. Fatso (or, for that matter, FO C.C. DeVille) to get out of a uniform she has no business in, someone with Air Force authority should be allowed to. (I actually saw this image recently, and yes, those were CAP nametapes and a Florida patch on her shoulder, at a non-CAP public event.)
Respect for the uniform reflects self-respect and respect for the organization. And having the opportunity to wear a CAP uniform doesn't come as an entitlement.
These comments, in my opinion, are MORE disrespectful than any uniform violation.  Though I agree with you about the proper wear of the uniform (I am the squadron uniform nazi AND a fat and fuzzy), your total lack of respect for fellow members reflects horribly on you, your chain of command and CAP.
Make observations but do not attack people who are contributing to the program based upon your personal contempt for people not meeting your idea of what a CAP member should look like.

Well maybe it needs to be said more.  I see nothing wrong with his comments.  How sad is it that a Lt. Col. cannot wear a uniform correctly and it needs to be photoshopped to be presentable.  And sadly, the only other photos they had available were most likely worse.  Maybe it's time someone started shouting from the mountain top that we need to reevaluate what we're doing and get back to basics. 

And if I hear one more person complain that I'm discriminating against overweight members I'll scream.  Put the [deleted] bag of chips down and take a fricking walk once in a while!  Your contribution IS valuable, but being overweight is NOT a disability.

Not discriminating, just showing a lack of tolerance.  CAP is NOT the military and I wish people would either join the Military or realize that from our inception CAP was and is a way of serving this great nation for those who do NOT meet military standards.  Had the original members met these standards I would add that there probably would not be a CAP as those members would have been overseas serving on Active Duty.

As far as the potato chip comment.  I wish it were that easy.  My weight problem is DIRECTLY CONNECTED with my SERVICE CONNECTED disability.  I am sick and tired of the whole CAP commando crowd thinking they are actually in the military and trying to enforce a standard that is NOT REQUIRED as a condition of membership.  Most of those who complain the loudest have never served a day in the actual military and would probably not be able to handle the first day of basic training, because reality seems to escape them.  Now that I have compromised myself by sinking to this level I will sit back and salute those CAP Colonels with all the bling who have never heard a shot fired in anger, never ate MRE's long enough to no longer think they are cool and would probably never make NCO nevermind Colonel in the RM.

And before you start flaming make sure you read the post again.  I said MOST as in not all, there are exceptions to every rule.

Not going to flame you.  I'm a DAV myself having served in the AF and Army.  I'm a member of CAP because I am precluded from further service and want to give back for the jumpstart in life I got as a cadet.  And I understand that there are members of CAP who have legitimate medical issues.  Who I am "discriminating" against, and always will, are those who do not meet the requirements to wear the military style uniform and yet are continually allowed to wear it despite the regs and these are the ones who love to get their photos taken.

No kidding this ain't the RM.  And many of the people I know who want to raise the standards here (not to the commando level!) are former RM, many of whom, like myself, have disabilities.  If we can do it, most (not all) can too.  I continually hear people saying that if we don't like the lax standards in CAP then go join the military.  Already have.  Can't do it anymore.  But it doesn't mean I should take CAP any less seriously.  Just because we want to raise the bar doesn't mean we want to be Rambo, or commandos, or pretend we are the real military.  What it means is that we have a sincere love for this organization and our fellow members and are tired of working toward the lowest common denominator.

Our members that do have legitimate medical concerns still have a valuable contribution to make to CAP.  On the other hand the SM who just makes poor lifestyle choices should not be the benchmark.

wingnut55

Lard Bucket, Lard Bucket, Lard Bucket   :angel:

;D

we are not being disrespectful by pointing a tub in uniform, it is shameful and contrary to CAP/USAF regulations and agreements

as a FAT GUY, LARDASS! I will not disrespect the uniform by wearing one, we have a duty to point that out and CAP HHQ has a duty not to post any pictures, Indeed that person should receive a letter of reprimand and told to remove the uniform. . . NOW.

SO I am loosing 40 lbs

However, have you seen how fat the active duty people are getting???

Pylon

Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP