What I do outside of CAP (Where my CAP dollars come from...)

Started by Fifinella, November 26, 2008, 12:29:26 AM

Fifinella

As suggested, a place to learn more about CAPTalkers and their "outside activities".

For Flying Pig:  I am getting a Master's in International Studies, with a concentration in Security Studies.

Roughly, this means examining why nations feel secure or insecure, and considering issues such as WMD, coercive diplomacy/deterrence/arms control, terrorism/counterterrorism, insurgency/counter-insurgency, NATO after the Cold War, UN Peacekeeping, RMA, Theory of War (Jomini, Clausewitz, Sun Tzu, Liddell Hart, etc.), and, much to my dismay, theories of International Relations, which are philosophically-based arguments about why nations act the way they do.

Overall, a pretty cool way to spend a year.

What about the rest of you?  Anyone wanna' share?  ;)
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

♠SARKID♠

I deliver furniture for a major Wisconsin furniture chain.  I've been on the crews for seven months now.

SarDragon

I was mostly retired, but decided to do taxes for H&R Block again, so I start back at that the 2nd week of Dec. The rest of the year, I let the gummint pay me to "sit around drink beer, eat chocolates and watch soap operas." Oh, and read CS.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

JoeTomasone

I am an IT security engineer for a company that makes encryption products.   Basically, I run around the country educating customers on the various products and how they can secure their data with them, help them install the products, and consult on a technical level.  I also speak occasionally at different security organizations on data security topics.    I work from a home office when not on the road (which is greatly appreciated when the UDF mission runs until 7am...). 

lordmonar

I am the maintenance chief for MQ-1B Predator Ground Control Station maintenance.

Same job I did for while I was in the Air Force....just more pay and better hours.  >:D

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Pylon

I handle the public relations and communications, and work closely with our Foundation's fundraising, for a $30M/year non-profit serving people with developmental disabilities.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Flying Pig

Im a Deputy Sheriff....and Im blessed enough to get paid to fly airplanes and helicopters for a living.

Desert Dawg

I was a K-9 Officer for the last 23 years. This past April a drunk driver changed my occupaton to disabled! >:(
Ken Smith, Major. CAP
Tucson, Az

Tubacap

I am a band director that teaches 5th-12th graders.  I also have the pleasure of working with a local universities music education students.  

I am about to complete my Masters in Emergency Management and Crisis Planning, this led to a part time job revamping the Emergency Operations Plan for our school district.

William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

Trung Si Ma

Defense contractor specializing in automated Command and Control (C2) with a focus on joint and coalition fires (mainly surface and aerial).

Freedom isn't free - I paid for it

Bear Walling

I am a Firefighter/EMT-Basic (Fire Instructor, Arson Investigator, HazMat Technician, ARFF... etc) here in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains (Daniel Boone National Forest). It doesn't pay much, so to pay the bills I travel the World as a Department of Defense contractor doing the same thing I do here at home only for a ton more money. So far my contracts have taken me to England, France, United Arab Emirates, Iraq, and soon Antarctica (just can't decide if I can handle the cold!) Because of this, I have seen more of the world than anyone I know here in North Eastern Kentucky... And all before the age of 24!

In my spare time I enjoy Pina Coladas, and getting caught in the rain...  :D

DNall

Texas Army National Guard... (temporarily) full-time readiness officer & interim company commander of a company being stood up from my Combat Aviation Brigade to go run convoys & FOB security for a BN of an Infantry Bde that's deploying next year. I'll be gone to Rucker for flight training leading to Apaches in about six months though. Also, drilling as a HQ company XO, and as an instructor/OIC for an RSP (program for kids preping for basic training and done with basic waiting a year till AIT).

notaNCO forever

"Handyman" is probably the best word to describe what I do for a job. I am also going to college to become an audio engineer.

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Software developer. Currently fulltime for a technical market research firm. Had my own company for a few years and still do some free lancing

Eclipse

IT Manager currently working as a consultant Project Manager with a large hospitality chain on their credit card security compliance.

I'm another of those work-from-home types, which explains my high posting numbers here...

Most people who know me would say I am a full-time CAP member with a part-time job.

"That Others May Zoom"

afgeo4

I am once again a college student. Trying to finish my BT in Hospitality Management at New York City College of Technology (City Tech).

I work part-time at a local J.Crew store as a cashier/sales associate.
GEORGE LURYE

LoyalNine

I am a State Probation/Parole Officer...   I worked the road as a police officer for 13 years and finally gave up  nights in search of a more normal home life and flexible schedule.  It also gave me the ability to do some new things like giving CAP a try and going back to college after a long hiatus.  I am studying art with a concentration in photography.  Its a good break from the Type A surroundings I have become rather comfortable with.     ...but the question asked "Where my CAP dollars come from..."  I guess the answer to that is "My Wife".   Since changing jobs I got zapped back to the bottom of a pay scale and slowly trying to claw my way back up.  She rules the checkbook in our house.

NJMEDIC

Currently on the injured reserve list as a paramedic in the Metro area of Trenton,  New Jersey the 29th most dangerous city here in the US. (well at least Newark and Camden are higher) Having surgery on 12/2/08 and should be back to duty the first of the year 
Mark J. Burckley,NJ EMT-P
Major  CAP
Member NJ EMS Task Force

PaulR

I am an active duty SF-IDMT(Surface Fleet-Independent Duty Corpsman) with the Coast Guard(Advanced level Corpsman).   Former Marine Machine Gunner and TOW II Anti armor missile man.   Total combination of 17 years.

JoeTomasone

Quote from: PaulR on November 26, 2008, 04:09:28 AM
I am an active duty SF-IDMT(Surface Fleet-Independent Duty Corpsman) with the Coast Guard(Advanced level Corpsman).   Former Marine Machine Gunner and TOW II Anti armor missile man.   Total combination of 17 years.

You went from the Marines to the Coast Guard?   You must get horrid amounts of grief from your old Marine buddies....    >:D