Main Menu

Steve Fossett

Started by Flying Pig, October 01, 2008, 04:37:26 PM

lordmonar

Quote from: NCO forever on October 01, 2008, 07:43:49 PM
I don't think it can be considered as OPSEC when it's on TV.

Even if it has been reported on TV by someone in CAP....they may be authorised to talk about it...but you are not.

Sometimes reporters just need an "unnamed CAP member" to confirm something and get it into print.

Go look at what happened Lt Col Ryan and you will see what I mean.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

PHall

The CAWG/CC sent out an e-mail reminding everybody in the wing to refer all inquiries to National/PA.
He also reminded everybody in CAWG to not talk to the media, period.
I guess the ghost of Lt Col Ryan is still haunting this place.

Flying Pig

Wow....CAP isnt even involved and we are already putting out notices like we had something to do with what happened today.

wingnut55

Ditto, on OPSEC, you all hope he is not found in a Grid you searched, I am glad we will have a final answer for his Family and the world.

But I am ready to go, rough area too

bosshawk

I have already volunteered to fly and have a crew available.  At 1700L, PDT, no alert for CAWG.  Guess that I'll go to the Sheriff's SAR Team and American Legion meetings tonight.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

PHall

Quote from: wingnut55 on October 01, 2008, 11:21:59 PM
you all hope he is not found in a Grid you searched,

I wouldn't be too concerned. With all of the variables, i.e. sun angle, shadows, ground cover, etc, it's real easy to not see a target, especially in rugged terrain like the search area has.
I'm willing to bet that the grid he was found in was covered at least four times, minimum.

flyerthom

I should have been more clear. What I would caution about is anything like:

Hey guys, I betcha this is what happened - yadda yadda speculation yadda yadda.

In the am from Newz a da werld = Headline

CAP ANNOUNCED  ON CAPTALK - YADDA YADDA YADDA

Lets keep it to just what we've been saying.
TC

simon

♠SARKID♠

The news outlets are reporting that they have found possible wreckage.  No details on aircraft type or any such thing and authorities are rightfully advising that it could be an unrelated crash.

davidsinn

The UK Times are reporting about conspiracy theories and lost credibility with me with this little gem:
QuoteThe Civil Air Patrol sent up Black Hawk helicopters with heat-seeking equipment
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

notaNCO forever

Quote from: davidsinn on October 02, 2008, 12:09:19 PM
The UK Times are reporting about conspiracy theories and lost credibility with me with this little gem:
QuoteThe Civil Air Patrol sent up Black Hawk helicopters with heat-seeking equipment

Are OPSEC is so good none of us have actually heard about the blackhawks yet. ;)

A.Member

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Flying Pig

Although, it doesnt say anything about his body being recovered.

MIKE

Quote from: NCO forever on October 02, 2008, 02:08:50 PM

Are OPSEC is so good none of us have actually heard about the blackhawks yet. ;)

I'm a FLIR operator on a CAP MH-60.  ;D
Mike Johnston

Nathan

Dude... that's... awesome... ;D

We're going to have a bunch of people from England showing up at CAP bases across the country asking to fly in the black helicopters now...
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

N Harmon

NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

LtCol White

Still, specualation in a public forum by CAP members is not a good thing. The previous incident caused a big "poo storm" and we need to make sure that it doesn't happen again. Just be cautious of your opinions expressed here so that they cannot be misconstrued or misquoted and taken out of context.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

Flying Pig

The Madera County Sheriff announced that the plane made an obvious head on collision into a large rock and that the wreckage was scattered up slop with the engine being found about 300 feet from the impact site.  The ID's that were found were likely scattered during the impact or by animals.  No body located.  Sheriff Andersen reported that the aircraft "virtually disintegrated" on impact.

JoeTomasone

Quote from: lordmonar on October 01, 2008, 09:55:37 PM

I must have missed this.... Details?

lordmonar

Quote from: JoeTomasone on October 02, 2008, 05:18:36 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on October 01, 2008, 09:55:37 PM

I must have missed this.... Details?

Basic outlines....she fell prey to a member of the press from the UK and got her name in the paper with an embarrassing 'quote".  Because she was a member of the Nation PIO team and she did not get permission before she talk to this guy....she got fired.

Here on CAPTalk and Cadetstuff her name got dragged through the mud by everyone who assumed she was just another incompetent CAP staffer.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP