Volunteer Magazine - who's responsible?

Started by alamrcn, January 17, 2008, 08:37:26 PM

mikeylikey

^ That was exactly the response it evokes in me.  Did you read my mind? 

I thought the newspaper was so much better.  Of course the MAG is more colorful, but it does not have nearly what went into the paper. 

PLUS  it appears that every CAP CADET in the new school initiative is blond haired and blue eyed.  I noticed it on-line also. 

Then there are the off the wall-no relation to CAP articles included.  I mean yes its nice to read about successfull people, but an article on a woman who just joined CAP and the story is about her other non-profit work?!?!

What's up monkeys?

RiverAux

Do you even look at them?  Most of the covers since they published have featured someone in a military style uniform unless the featured person wasn't a CAP member.  Additionally, there is a clear preference within the magazine to show seniors in photos in the military style uniform most of the time (except banquets). 

Stonewall

Yep, saw the cover, thumbed through it and tossed it.  I'm not impressed.  Sure, it's pretty, looks like a real magazine, but I really don't get pumped up from it like I did the CAP News.  CAP News was for CAP members, not outsiders.  Had a lot more articles about the troops on the ground; where the rubber meets the road.

Hey, just my opinion, but the Volunteer to me, is like the external aerospace program.  How does it really benefit CAP?  Again, YMMV, this is just my opinion.
Serving since 1987.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: jimmydeanno on January 17, 2008, 08:51:24 PM
I can guarantee that it was initiated by "he who's name shall not be spoken." 

Typo that radically alters the meaning of this sentence.  Should read:

I can guarantee that it wasn't initiated by "he who's name shall not be spoken."

MODS, if you want to make the correction and delete this post, that's fine - I can't edit my post any more.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Gunner C

I understand what some are saying about missing CAP News.  It was good for members but not so good for recruiting.  When I was a group commander, I got two copies every month - one for me and one for the unit (used in recruiting).  I would have loved to have dropped off the magazine at the local FBO.

It catches the eye.  I think that it might be a work in progress.  I'd give it some time.  The PAO people have made great strides in the past year with their program.  It should only get better.

GC

alamrcn

My thoughts of the reason there isn't as much "news" included in Volunteer like there was in the Coast-to-Coast pages of CAP-News is the Internets.

I mean, look at the "real time" news stories on the front page of the National website! For most of the folks here on CAP-Talk, the type of stuff that used to be in CAP-News would now be re-hash from what you already read a month or more ago on the web. Granted, it was fun to see your name-in-lights on the back pages of the national newspaper...

I only glanced through the newspaper for something that stood out, or something familiar to me like a story about my Wing or Region. Volunteer I end up reading cover to cover, and usually within the first day or so that it arrives. I like that the stories and articles usually have some kind of "link" or theme to them too.

So far, most of the complaints I've heard mentioned could also be applied to the USAF's Airman magazine which is another publication that is good for active or inactive humans. In any case, I did get the answer to my question in that the idea for Volunteer came up before "he who's name not be mentioned" came into office.

-Ace

And all you trolls taking the Hawk Mt bate... RANGER, PUSH-UPS, BERET, SWAGGER STICK, BEARDS, OVER-WEIGHT, COLORFUL PATCHES, etc, etc. That get's SO old, why do you persist! At least take it to a clearly marked thred where we can avoid the equine beatings...

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

RiverAux

The vast majority of articles in the back part of CAP News were not worthy of national attention and they were properly dropped when we went to the magazine.  Did we care that Joe Blow Squadron had a campout?  Or about the CLC in Vermont?  The front part of CAP News rarely had many articles of interest and had horrible, boring "articles" by various national staff officers. 

brasda91

Quote from: mikeylikey on January 18, 2008, 02:22:33 AM

I would be very interested in reading what other Wings have Paid Full time staff at their Wing HQ.

KY has a part-time admin position, although she puts in more hours than part-time.  I believe she told me she is paid by National.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

afgeo4

Quote from: mikeylikey on January 17, 2008, 09:35:22 PM
Yeah the volunteer MAG......I don't care for it.  It is a recruiting tool, I know that. 

The Newspaper had much more info, more region specific news, better ads even. 

Not sure I even care for the bi-monthly issue.  Why can't there be a monthly issue?

Also, if we "opt" out of the MAG, I think our dues should be lowered!!!!!!!!!!

PLUS.....the pics in the MAG seem to not be "screened over".  This months issue has HAWK Rangers in clear violation of 39-1.  Metal Rank on the cover, wearing PAWG RANGER Crap, outside the Wing. 

A very poor recruiting tool since it is only available to people who are already members.

As a recruiter, I could use some of the articles printed in pamphlet format though... and in bulk, distributed as recruiting publication.
GEORGE LURYE

brasda91

Quote from: afgeo4 on January 18, 2008, 10:10:21 PM

A very poor recruiting tool since it is only available to people who are already members.

Not accurate.  Non-members can subscribe to the Volunteer for $25.00/yr.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

alamrcn

It's also available free on the internets at cap.gov

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

flyguy06

MIKE

Your Mileage May Vary.
Mike Johnston

flyguy06

RiverAux

Different places may have different rules or policies. 

NIN

Like the car ads where they list their mileage numbers, and as a disclaimer, suggest that "your actual mileage may vary" or "your mileage may vary". 

In other words, when someone suggests something like "We did this and our squadron doubled in size! Your mileage may vary, of course," they're saying "here's what happened to us, but you may not have the same luck.."

You must be incredibly new to this here Interweb thingy...

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Stonewall

Quote from: flyguy06 on January 19, 2008, 06:51:14 PM
Quote from: MIKE on January 19, 2008, 06:44:33 PM
Your mileage May Vary.

huh? and what does that mean?

Internet shorthand used to represent 'your mileage may vary' meaning 'how far you will be able to go depends on (usually external) factors  relating to yourself', such as locality. Often used in forums to indicate that the OP (original poster) was able to complete the deal but it is unlikely or uncertain that others will be able to do the same. Can also be used to represent 'your market may vary' which is more appropriate for internet forums and more easily translates to some, especially people foreign to the english language. Often used in internet forums to indicate the likelyhood of something happening is uncertain.

I got that Hard Drive for a quarter, but ymmv!

Serving since 1987.

Capt Rivera

Quote from: afgeo4 on January 18, 2008, 10:10:21 PM

As a recruiter, I could use some of the articles printed in pamphlet format though... and in bulk, distributed as recruiting publication.

You can request bulk copies for FREE to distribute locally for recruitment purposes. Information can be found in another thread somewhere on who to contact to do this.
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org