Volunteer Magazine - who's responsible?

Started by alamrcn, January 17, 2008, 08:37:26 PM

alamrcn

The Jan-Feb issue of Volunteer arrived the other day, and I started thinking...

This is an awesome publication! But could it really be a part of the Pineda legacy? One would assume that he had a little to do with the change from the old monthly mailbox stuffer to a waiting room worthy piece of literature!

So, ultimately I ask the question...  How much credit can we assign to Brig Gen Pineda for this POSSITIVE change to the organization? Did he really leave something GOOD for us after all?

Maybe someone here knows a little more about the lead-in to Volume 1, Issue 1 and who is really responsible for gitten 'r done!

-Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

jimmydeanno

Quote from: alamrcn on January 17, 2008, 08:37:26 PM
The Jan-Feb issue of Volunteer arrived the other day, and I started thinking...

This is an awesome publication! But could it really be a part of the Pineda legacy? One would assume that he had a little to do with the change from the old monthly mailbox stuffer to a waiting room worthy piece of literature!

So, ultimately I ask the question...  How much credit can we assign to Mr.Pineda for this POSSITIVE change to the organization? Did he really leave something GOOD for us after all?

Maybe someone here knows a little more about the lead-in to Volume 1, Issue 1 and who is really responsible for gitten 'r done!

-Ace

Can't speak for The Volunteer  but the new leadership books are all the CP shop, I can guarantee that it was initiated by "he who's name shall not be spoken."  The CP team is doing a great job with trying to update a lot of outdated, poorly made products from our past as well as listening to those in the field and what they need.

New Cadet Orientation Program
New Cadet Staff Guide
New P151
New Leadership Books
New NCSAs
New Cadet Online Promotions Utility/testing
New Cadet of the Month guide
TLC Program

and on and on.

The positives that I can see coming out of the "he who's name shall not be spoken regime" to me include.

1) New Corporate Uniform:  I think it looks better than the grays, I don't think it was implemented as well as it could have been.

2) ummm....I can't think of anything else.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

FW

If I remember correctly, it was the PA staff at NHQ who came up with the idea.  It was at the May 2005 NEC meeting when the CAP/EX gave the presentation on the new publication.  TP was not the commander at the time.

mikeylikey

Yeah the volunteer MAG......I don't care for it.  It is a recruiting tool, I know that.  

The Newspaper had much more info, more region specific news, better ads even.  

Not sure I even care for the bi-monthly issue.  Why can't there be a monthly issue?

Also, if we "opt" out of the MAG, I think our dues should be lowered!!!!!!!!!!

PLUS.....the pics in the MAG seem to not be "screened over".  This months issue has HAWK Rangers in clear violation of 39-1.  Metal Rank on the cover, wearing PAWG RANGER Crap, outside the Wing.  

What's up monkeys?

John Bryan

Quote from: mikeylikey on January 17, 2008, 09:35:22 PM
Yeah the volunteer MAG......I don't care for it.  It is a recruiting tool, I know that.  

The Newspaper had much more info, more region specific news, better ads even.  

Not sure I even care for the bi-monthly issue.  Why can't there be a monthly issue?

Also, if we "opt" out of the MAG, I think our dues should be lowered!!!!!!!!!!

PLUS.....the pics in the MAG seem to not be "screened over".  This months issue has HAWK Rangers in clear violation of 39-1.  Metal Rank on the cover, wearing PAWG RANGER Crap, outside the Wing.  

I believe that all members who go to Hawk can now wear that "crap" as part of their CAP uniforms.....the National Board approved that in August 2006...so it has been policy for over a year.

For the record I am have never been to Hawk but I have seen the positive effect it has had on cadets from my wing. I am not sure why so many people are so hateful towards that program.

mikeylikey

Quote from: John Bryan on January 17, 2008, 10:03:02 PM
I believe that all members who go to Hawk can now wear that "crap" as part of their CAP uniforms.....the National Board approved that in August 2006...so it has been policy for over a year.

Show me!  Also please show me where it says we can wear metal rank on baseball caps.  Show me where it says there are "Ranger Grades, TABS, whistles and belts in a CAP regulation.  Show me where it says this and I will shut up.  PA Wing does not even have an updated letter referencing wear by Wing Members.  Those people on that MTN do what they want, because the leadership has looked the other way. 

As far as the program goes there.......when you have a decline in attendees each year for 5 years straight.....I am going to guess we should invest our resources and $$ in other deserving programs like NESA?!?!  When you have more "staff" running around than basic attendees, something is wrong.
What's up monkeys?

John Bryan

well I know what the NB approved (I was there)....I recall there being a policy letter but could not find it on line. The NB has never reverted this action.

Here is what the board did:

After discussion of several options, the August 2006 National Board approved: "All members that attend the Blue Beret and national Hawk Mountain training can wear any awarded items that go on the uniform or the head gear with their BDUs, blue or green." The board did not approve wear of these items with service uniforms.

See August 2006 National Board Minutes
AGENDA ITEM 19 Action
SUBJECT: New Business

4. ITEM: Wear of Blue Beret and Hawk Mountain Uniforms & Devices
COL FAGAN/MO MOVED AND COL LEVITCH/FL SECONDED that the National Board vote to allow wear of the Blue Beret and Hawk Mountain head gear by cadets and senior members on both the BDUs and dress uniform.
COL NELSON/CA MOVED TO AMEND AND COL OPLAND/DE SECONDED the amendment to allow wear of both activity head gear only on BDUs.
MOTION TO AMEND CARRIED
COL DAVIES/NATCAP MOVED TO AMEND AND COL FAGAN/MO SECONDED the amendment to allow wear of head gear at the discretion of wing commanders.
MOTION DID NOT PASS
MAJ GEN PINEDA RESTATED THE AMENDED MOTION: The members can wear the head gear that they get at Hawk Mountain and Blue Beret with their blue BDUs and green BDUs only.
COL LEVITCH/FL MOVED TO AMEND AND COL APPLEBAUM/PA SECONDED the amendment to allow the wear of any awarded items that go on the uniform or the head from Hawk Mountain and Blue Beret with BDUs only.
MOTION TO AMEND CARRIED
COL OPLAND/DE MOVED TO AMEND to allow wear of any distinctive head gear awarded at any national special cadet activities.
MOTION TO AMEND DIED FOR LACK OF A SECOND
ANOTHER RESTATEMENT OF THE AMENDED MOTION: All members that attend the Blue Beret and national Hawk Mountain training can wear any awarded items that go on the uniform or the head gear with their BDUs, blue or green.
AMENDED MOTION CARRIED
FOLLOW-ON ACTION: National Headquarters implementation of policy, notification to the field and change to appropriate CAP regulations.

John Bryan

As for NCSA's many have had off years....a few years ago we could not fill all the IACE slots....does that mean we never do it again. In general we get lost in numbers.

mikeylikey

^ I do not believe metal rank is an "awardable" item on any CAP hat.  I also think this went the way of the trash can after TP left.  Perhaps it will be discussed next month.  Minutes from a meeting are one thing, when an Interim Change letter is published, that is the legal basis.  Sorry!  Then we can get into where the HAWK patch should be placed on the BDU's.  If I am correct, it should not be placed on the sleeve anylonger......correct? 

I don't Hate HAWK so to say, I hate what they are allowed to get away with.  And that we have PAWG Wing Kings who bow down to them.  I am sick of hearing how money is short because we need to get a new rappel tower on the mountain.  I am sick of hearing how Wing members who would like to utilize the facility (and the new condo's they built there) can't train there because they are not part of the Ranger Program.  I also like how each Wing was allowed 2 to 4 FEMA trailers......HAWK got 10.  They have all new equipment, all new everything thanks to the PA Senate.  State Appropriations should be used for the Wings missions, training etc.  It should not be used to fund a National School that is ALREADY getting National Funding.
What's up monkeys?

FW

Um, Mikey.  you're right about metal grades on hats. However, the passing of the motion of the Aug. 06 agenda item makes the patches, etc. official.  Wear guidance is found in Hawk publications.  The LL patch and tabs are OK to wear on the BDU or Blue Utility Uniform.  So is the Expert Belt and Medic Belt.  No need for an interim change letter.  It will be in the new 39-1.

Almost all that new equipment at the mountain came from either the National Corporate Budget including 1/2 the funds for the tower (nice construction picture in the current "Volunteer"), the new holding system and showers. The rest came from donations.  I don't think the wing laid out too much cash for these projects.  National's part came from the Vanguard royalties and reserves at the time.  All of nationals expenditures were approved by the NEC and the BOG.

There is no valid reason why any unit of CAP should be refused to use the sight for training purposes.  There should, however, be rules on its use.  Fees should probably be charged to help maintain the site;  as should there be for Oshkosh.

I was at Hawk for the '07 summer school and found things running well with well about 150 students, including the then National/CC/CV a couple of region/cc's and a few wing/cc's.  Not one I spoke with were upset with the quality of Hawk or how our money was spent.  In fact I think they were talking about spneding more for improvements.

PAWG receives over $500k for their O&M for the year.  I've never heard anyone say they were short of cash.

dwb

Quote from: alamrcn on January 17, 2008, 08:37:26 PMSo, ultimately I ask the question...  How much credit can we assign to Brig Gen Pineda for this POSITIVE change to the organization? Did he really leave something GOOD for us after all?

Who cares?  Why are we even still talking about him?

I don't mean to sound callous, but really, it's not an important question.

Pylon

Quote from: FW on January 18, 2008, 12:22:59 AM
Fees should probably be charged to help maintain the site...

Quote from: FW on January 18, 2008, 12:22:59 AMPAWG receives over $500k for their O&M for the year.  I've never heard anyone say they were short of cash.

I don't think they need to charge $20/head from Podunk Squadron if they want to use the facility for legitimate means if the facility is being funded heavily from National funds, Vanguard royalties and other avenues of support.  You just stated they're not short on cash and the money from the National budget and Vanguard royalties are generated by all members, not just PAWG members or Hawk-attendees.  If it's funded in that manner, my squadron ought to be able to reserve it on a weekend it's not booked and use the facilities for training.  We already paid for it.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

FW

Quote from: Pylon on January 18, 2008, 12:29:17 AM
[I don't think they need to charge $20/head from Podunk Squadron if they want to use the facility for legitimate means if the facility is being funded heavily from National funds, Vanguard royalties and other avenues of support.  You just stated they're not short on cash and the money from the National budget and Vanguard royalties are generated by all members, not just PAWG members or Hawk-attendees.  If it's funded in that manner, my squadron ought to be able to reserve it on a weekend it's not booked and use the facilities for training.  We already paid for it.

I don't know if they charge or not.  However, The Hawk Mt. Training site and the Oshkosh training site belong to Civil Air Patrol, Inc.  Hawk or Blue Beret staff maintain their respective facilities for obvious reasons.   National spends no funds on maintaining these sites,  the alloted funds are used for capital  improvements.  I see no problem with them asking for a reasonable fee to make sure the porta potties are clean and the trash is removed.

mikeylikey

^ PAWG does get over $500,000 per year.  $140,000-$160,000 goes toward paid staff at the Wing HQ.  An Executive Director, his expenses, An Accountant, an Operations Person (who now lives in North Carolina), and the director of the Philadelphia School Program and his expenses, and a maintenance person.  Then each year between $75,000 and $115,000 goes to HAWK.  PLUS HAWK gets the Cadets special activity payment fees.  Cadet Programs in PAWG get just under $60,000 and the rest of the money is used toward training and reimbursements.  Now in previous years HAWK received more money from Wing HQ for specific items.  They paid for part of the new cabins, and major refurbishment. 

All in all, HAWK MTN is taking a large portion of State awarded funds.  If anyone questions these figures, feel free to call the PAWG HQ and speak to the full time accountant.  Speaking of paid Wing Staff......There are a total of 5 paid staffers at Wing HQ.  PLUS the Wing Administrator (who national pays, thus doesn't count).  Are there any other wings with that many PAID Staff?  Why is there still an Executive Director at PAWG HQ is the question many Penna members ask themselves. 

As far as that MTN goes, the training there is no better than anywhere else.  If CAP wants to keep the land as a training site fine, but there is no need for a Ranger School. 

As to the uniform issue......I guess we will see what exactly is going to be allowed in a few months.  I pray the only thing that remains is the School Patch.  Once the bling is gone, lets see how many Rangers stay in the program. 

Sorry I hijacked this thread!
What's up monkeys?

RiverAux

5 seems a little excessive, but PA is our 4th largest wing (in membership).  Probably the only other wings that would be comparable are Texas, California, Florida, and New York. 

mikeylikey

^ The membership numbers are skewed because of the School Cadet Program. 

I would be very interested in reading what other Wings have Paid Full time staff at their Wing HQ.
What's up monkeys?

Pylon

Quote from: RiverAux on January 18, 2008, 02:18:31 AM
5 seems a little excessive, but PA is our 4th largest wing (in membership).  Probably the only other wings that would be comparable are Texas, California, Florida, and New York. 

And New York's appropriation from the state for operations, expenses, training sites, etc.?  $0   ;)

New York's paid Wing staff (not counting NHQ paid Administrative Asst.):   0
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

mikeylikey

^ And your Wing actually is able to function?  I am amazed.  Oh wait......no I am not!  You have a very good team there.  A volunteer team that needs no paid employees to get their work done for them. 

I think Executive Directors in the Wings went out the window like 15 years ago. 

What's up monkeys?

RiverAux

Florida gets $55K, California gets 80K, Texas gets 0, New York gets 0. 

Stonewall

I think the Volunteer is similar to the Annual Reports to Congress in that they don't show, at least on the cover, that CAP is a military auxiliary.  It always has pictures of kids not in uniform playing with little airplanes, like we're some tree huggin' youth camp.  Just my opinion.

I miss CAP News.
Serving since 1987.