Visiting another squadron

Started by Toth, March 17, 2015, 02:33:24 AM

Toth

Are there any rules or regulations on visiting squadrons in other wings/regions while on vacation? I might be staying in Michigan for a period of time this summer, so I might transfer out there, or I might just want to visit a FL squadron while I'm there. I searched for previous topics but didn't find any, so I just thought I'd ask.
SM Toth Mendius, CAP
C/CC RMR-MT-053 (ret.), RMR Ass't Rep NCAC (ret.)
Mitchell #65174, Earhart #17361
GES, ♦ICUT, ♦FLM, GTM3, UDF, SET, MS, MRO, EMT, *GTM2

arajca

1. Let your commander know your plans.
2. Contact the squadrons you want to visit when you get in the areas.
3. Wear the appropriate uniform, minus any wing-specific accoutrements such as a ground team beret or shoulder cord other than specified in CAPM 39-1.

mwewing

The instructions given by arajca are exactly correct. You need to make sure your current commander knows what you are planning to do - even if you plan to transfer. Commanders don't usually like to get surprised by transfers. You can use the unit locator tool at:  http://hosted.where2getit.com/civilairpatrol/  in order to identify units near where you are staying. I am pretty familiar with MIWG and will gladly provide any insight I can to help you plan. There are several other unit commanders from MIWG on CapTalk that may also be able to point you in the right direction.

I think visiting other units is a great idea when you can. Each unit is unique in some way, and you can apply the best practices of each to improve your home squadron.

Hopefully that helps.
Maj. Mark Ewing, CAP
Commander
West Michigan Group (GLR-MI-703)

kwe1009

We have 3 cadets that spend a month or two out of state each year.  They don't transfer squadrons but do attend the local unit's meeting.  Now that it has been mentioned, I'm not sure if transferring is really necessary.  In our case the local commander emails us with what the cadets have done and we put it in eServices.  They have gotten promoted while away as well.  That is really no different than if they transferred and then got promoted.  Either way, it is the out of town squadron commander that is making that decision.

My daughter and I regularly attend other squadron's meetings when we are out of town.  It is a great learning experience. 

Private Investigator

I usually wear my CAP cap on vacation so I usually get invited to a meeting and if not, I invite myself so I can get a safety brief.  8)

Storm Chaser

Your wing commander may have a policy regarding CAP out-of-wing travel. Many wing commanders want to know when their members are visiting units in other wings or participating in CAP activities outside your wing. Make sure you know and follow any wing policy, if applicable.

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: kwe1009 on March 18, 2015, 05:49:43 PM
We have 3 cadets that spend a month or two out of state each year.  They don't transfer squadrons but do attend the local unit's meeting.  Now that it has been mentioned, I'm not sure if transferring is really necessary.  In our case the local commander emails us with what the cadets have done and we put it in eServices.  They have gotten promoted while away as well.  That is really no different than if they transferred and then got promoted.  Either way, it is the out of town squadron commander that is making that decision.

My daughter and I regularly attend other squadron's meetings when we are out of town.  It is a great learning experience.

FWIW: We've had the pleasure of hosting a NCWG cadet twice during her time at the college near to our squadron.  It was a huge boost for a small unit like ours and the cadet enjoyed herself, classes permitting.

Best advice: use a little courtesy, keep your CC in the loop, write or call ahead of time and remember that you're the visitor!