Main Menu

CAP Challenge Coins

Started by abysmal, April 29, 2005, 01:51:44 AM

Chris

i have a mississippi wing encampment challenge coin

Skyray

Quote from: CHRIS on July 03, 2005, 01:03:21 PM
i have a mississippi wing encampment challenge coin

Value it highly, and don't forget to go for the T.D. Fortune Award when you become eligible.
Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member

Pylon

I figured I'd bring this one back from the dead.

Anybody else have CAP Challenge Coins to share?   :)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Eclipse

FYI - I am working with 2 outfits in Turkey who make coins for units in the
GUlf region, etc.

Quality is pretty high, I have one in my hand.

www.timscoins.com

also

Neither charges a setup and their minimum is 50.

"That Others May Zoom"

dws

There exist also silver and gold versions of the bronze NYWG encampment coin.

http://community.webshots.com/album/125837105ArzduJ

We got them from http://wemakecoins.com/. The owner is a former CAP member.
Daniel W. Stouch, Lt Col., CAP

Pace

*BUMP*

The CAP GSAR coin picture is in:

Refer to this thread on CS for information on ordering if you're interested and qualified (any GTM level, UDF, GTL, or GBD qualifies).
Lt Col, CAP

Becks

Found this off one of the site and figured it was cool to know regarding this thread:

History of Challange Coin:
(Note, this very well could be a myth or legend, I take no responsibility for the authenticity of this story  ;D )
During World War 1, American volunteers from all parts of the country filled the newly formed flying squadrons. Some were wealthy scions attending colleges such as Yale and Harvard who quit in mid-term to join the war. In one squadron, a wealthy lieutenant ordered medallions struck in solid bronze and presented them to his unit. One young pilot placed the medallion in a small leather pouch that he wore about his neck.

Shortly after acquiring the medallions, the pilots' aircraft was severely damaged by ground fire. He was forced to land behind enemy lines and was immediately captured by a German patrol. In order to discourage his escape, the Germans took all of his personal identification except for the small leather pouch around his neck. In the meantime, he was taken to a small French town near the front. Taking advantage of a bombardment that night, he escaped. However, he was without personal identification.

He succeeded in avoiding German patrols by donning civilian attire and reached the front lines. With great difficulty, he crossed no-man's land. Eventually, he stumbled onto a French outpost. Unfortunately, saboteurs had plagued the French in the sector. They sometimes masqueraded as civilians and wore civilian clothes. Not recognizing the young pilot's American accent, the French thought him to be a saboteur and made ready to execute him. He had no identification to prove his allegiance, but he did have his leather pouch containing the medallion. He showed the medallion to his would-be executioners and one of his French captors recognized the squadron insignia on the medallion. They delayed his execution long enough for him to confirm his identity. Instead of shooting him they gave him a bottle of wine.

Back at his squadron, it became tradition to ensure that all members carried their medallion or coin at all times. This was accomplished through challenge in the following manner - a challenger would ask to see the medallion. If the challenged could not produce a medallion, they were required to buy a drink of choice for the member who challenged them. If the challenged member produced a medallion, then the challenging member was required to pay for the drink. This tradition continued on throughout the war and for many years after the war while surviving members of the squadron were still alive.

BBATW

flyguy06

I have never heard to them reffered to as challenge coins. I have always heard them just called coins that Commanders and senior officers give usually to people that have done something outstanding or signifigant. I have not seen any coin below the rank of Colonel given. I didin't realize that CAP had coins also. Thats very cool.

Matt

Quote from: flyguy06 on April 12, 2006, 07:31:10 AM
[...] I have not seen any coin below the rank of Colonel given. [...]

Correct, in the armed forces, you're required a Bird or higher, to my recoletion, to have your "own" coin.

CAP has them in place of graduation of schools, classes, units, and some wings have them.  I know that certain schools give them out for outstanding feats.
<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>

shorning

Quote from: Matt on April 12, 2006, 01:20:07 PM

Correct, in the armed forces, you're required a Bird or higher, to my recoletion, to have your "own" coin.

What makes you think that?  I've received on from my Lt Col squadron commander, my Wing's Command Chief, and my First Sergeant.  None of which are O-6's.

BTW...coins don't have rank...

Pylon

Quote from: Matt

Hmm... where's that written?

I've got a coin from a Command Chief Master Sergeant.  It's got their rank insignia and name right on there.  Must be unauthorized.   ;)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Matt

Quote from: Matt on April 12, 2006, 01:20:07 PM
[...] to my recolection [...]

Ok, aside from just catching my spelling error, please consult operative term... ;)  Never guaranteed it.
<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>

Fearlessleader01

I've got a NESA Staff coin (#323) thats it though.
C/Maj Joseph Trujillo
NER-CT-058 X0
CTWG CAC Chair
GTM-1, EMT-B

Earhart1971

I had never heard of them till, last week, my old CAP mentor L/Col Dave Moseley, Cmdr, of Lake Composite Squadron in Florida, gave me one.

Its his squadron patch and on the reverse side, the "tails side" is the CAP National Shield.

He gave one to the new National Commander, Maj Gen Tony Pineda, also.

flyguy06

I should have said Colonel's and Senior NCO's. Yes, I have seen Sergeant Major coins as well. In fact I have one from when I was enlisted. I was top soldier at the Land Nav course at PLDC many many moons ago.

Pace

I've seen coins from (RealMilitary) Lieutenants, Captains, and Majors.  Challenge coins aren't limited to higher echelons, it's just unusual to see them handed out by lower level commanders.
Lt Col, CAP

That Anonymous Guy

Quote from: dws on March 31, 2006, 09:12:30 PM
There exist also silver and gold versions of the bronze NYWG encampment coin.

http://community.webshots.com/album/125837105ArzduJ

We got them from http://wemakecoins.com/. The owner is a former CAP member.
Sorry to resurrect the topic but does the encampment still have these and if so how do you earn one? Graduate?

abdsp51

My unit commander here has a commander's coin that is given out.  There are enlisted folks who have them as well though these are usually based off their position.  Most wing command chiefs have them.  I have a coin from the SgtMaj of the Army floating around here somewhere.  CAP wise I have one from my unit here and one from a previous national commander.  In AD many booster clubs, schools etc have coins.

BillB

If anyone is interested, LCol Jim Shaw can provide a 70th anniversary of CAP challenge coin from the CAP Historical Foundation. They are better looking than the ones Vanguard has. If you see a CAPHistorian post on CAPTalk PM him about them.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

lordmonar

Having a "challenge coin" is like haveing buisness cards......if you want some....all you got to do is go out and buy them.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP