CD Sessions & Approved Presenters

Started by Fubar, March 21, 2016, 04:43:24 AM

Chappie

And on another note...I might add that training for Chaplain Corps personnel is no different than say ES, CP, AE training in that you take some one who comes into CAP with their education, life experience, interests, etc and put the CAP stamp/brand on them through the Professional Development program.  Paraphrase of a movie: "What kind of training?  CAP training, sir."  "That's the fact, Jack."  :)
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

AirAux

So, how many Squadron have been assigned Chaplains or CDI personnel by the Chaplain program??

Eclipse

Quote from: Chappie on March 22, 2016, 01:04:14 PM
In the absence of a CDI or Chaplain, the commander either facilitates or deletes delegates another to facilitate the session.

Where is there any allowance for delegation by the Commander?  It's Chaplain, CDI, or Commander per 265-1 & 52-16:

http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/R265_001_538BD6B239386.pdf Page 4, 4c
"c. Commanders will make character development instruction available during cadet
meetings per guidance in CAPR 52-16 paragraph 1-7 d."

http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/R052_016_2011_02_BFAB729553AB1.pdf  Page
"(b) Character Forums. Unit commanders will provide a character development program
for cadets, using the resources found at capmembers.com/character. A CAP chaplain or character
development instructor (CDI) will coordinate the program. In units without a chaplain or CDI, the
commander may temporarily lead character forums, but must endeavor to recruit a chaplain or CDI as soon
as possible.
During character forums, cadets examine moral and ethical issues, but the forums are not
religious meetings. "

"That Others May Zoom"

Storm Chaser

The new CAPR 265-1 removed the provision for commanders to temporarily conduct Character Development instruction while actively trying to recruit a chaplain or CDI. Interesting that CAPR 52-16 still has that provision.

Frankly, now that the requirements to become a CDI have been lessen, there's no reason why every unit can't have a properly appointed CDI.

Chappie

AirAux...first of all let me say "thank you" for years of service in CAP. We as an organization are indeed blessed with dedicated volunteers.  I was pastoring when I was recruited to be a CAP Chaplain 20 years ago.  However, it was my volunteer servvice as a Chaplain to a local law enforcement agency/fire department that drew the attention.  My recruiting chaplain spoke highly of the ES mission and how I could play a key part.  On my visit to the squadron, I was surprised to see kids dressed up in uniforms.  It was then I was briefed on Cadet Programs -- the four elements of their training.  And that is what convinced me to join.  Having a part in the development in the leadership skills and moral fabric of America's youth was a good thing to commit to.  So here I am 20 years later :)

As for the question regarding squadron coverage.  Here are the latest figures by region (Units with CDI or Chaplain/Number of Units/Percentage):

GLR:  92/204  45.10
MER:  75/143  52.45
NCR:  52/108  48.15
NER:  81/212  38.21
PCR:  86/168  51.19
RMR:  39/79   49.37
SER:  95/222  42.79
SWR:  77/172  44.77

It is not our intention to have you pursue another training track to add yet another hat or responsibility of leadership.  We are seeing that recent changes in the application/appointment process of the CDI has tapped into an existing resource within the local squadron.  As pointed out in a previous post, there has been a marked increase of CDI appointments within the past 18 months.

Stormchaser...the new CAPR 265-1 refers to the provision in the CAPR 52-16: Section 4.c. Commanders will make character development instruction available during cadet meetings per guidance in CAPR 52-16 paragraph 1-7.   So it's there :)  And it is true, with every cadet/composite squadron requiring at least 2 members having completed TLC, there is no reason why every unit in CAP can't have a properly appointed CDI.

Eclipse is correct that there is no mention of delegation as was in the past.  It is the Commander (since it is there responsibility to provide a CD program)...a CDI or a Chaplain.  This assures that CD is conducted in the manner it is intended to be.

Paul Creed III

Quote from: Storm Chaser on March 22, 2016, 02:12:09 PM
The new CAPR 265-1 removed the provision for commanders to temporarily conduct Character Development instruction while actively trying to recruit a chaplain or CDI. Interesting that CAPR 52-16 still has that provision.

Frankly, now that the requirements to become a CDI have been lessen, there's no reason why every unit can't have a properly appointed CDI.

Now that TLC can be completed online via MDWG, folks that struggled with attending a weekend TLC (especially those folks who are busy on Saturdays or Sundays) can take care of that requirement and become a CDI faster.
Lt Col Paul Creed III, CAP
Group 3 Ohio Wing sUAS Program Manager

Eclipse

Quote from: Chappie on March 22, 2016, 02:42:45 PM
We are seeing that recent changes in the application/appointment process of the CDI has tapped into an existing resource within the local squadron.  As pointed out in a previous post, there has been a marked increase of CDI appointments within the past 18 months.

I would hazard that this is due to people who were, up until the change, facilitating CDI already having to request appointment so they can continue.
CDCs, Leadership Officers, etc.   They were able to fill in with no issues in the past, now come CDI night, the Unit CC has to do it, best qualified or not.

Your statistics indicate that at least in excess of half of the units nationwide are in this situation - another extra duty for the unit CC.

Quote from: Paul Creed III on March 22, 2016, 02:46:26 PM
Now that TLC can be completed online via MDWG, folks that struggled with attending a weekend TLC (especially those folks who are busy on Saturdays or Sundays) can take care of that requirement and become a CDI faster.

That's very nice for MDWG, but not much help to the other 51 wings.  Especially if you consider TLC as a local exercise in networking and
team building and not just a check box.

"That Others May Zoom"

Chappie

Eclipse...having 50%-60% of our units without a CDI or Chaplain was/is a major concern.  It was not the lack of personnel which was the driving force in CD/CDI program...rather it was the concern of how CD was (or in many cases, wasn't) being conducted.  While it may look like the commander has an additional duty to perform in the present (should there not be a CDI or Chaplain currently assigned), there is a process in place that will benefit the unit down the road as personnel are recruited/appointed to fulfill this responsibility.  The change in the regulation regarding the CDI appointment is a major stride in making this happen.

As mentioned before there is a requirement for every cadet/composite squadron to have people who have completed TLC.  If those squadrons don't meet that requirement, are they in compliance to the regs??

The numbers of appointments over the past 18 months mentioned are NEW appointments.  Those who were already appointed did not go through the new process. Their appointments were already made and continued to be recognized.  It might be true that some may have been facilitating these sessions previously...who knows...I know of several who weren't ...the point is that the number of appointments of CDIs have increased and squadron coverage is improving.

Paul Creed III

Quote from: Eclipse on March 22, 2016, 03:00:49 PM

Quote from: Paul Creed III on March 22, 2016, 02:46:26 PM

That's very nice for MDWG, but not much help to the other 51 wings.  Especially if you consider TLC as a local exercise in networking and
team building and not just a check box.

Actually, the online TLC from MDWG is open to other wings; I had one senior complete the course through MDWG who said that it was a great course with lots of networking.
Lt Col Paul Creed III, CAP
Group 3 Ohio Wing sUAS Program Manager

AirAux

One of the problems we have come across is the 2 year or 60 college credit requirement.  This is an unusual requirement for CAP members.  I have had a couple of people that were interested and were lay speakers in their congregations, but did not have the requisite college experience.  I had a high school graduate Mother of 4 that would have been a good fit, but?? 

Chappie

Quote from: AirAux on March 22, 2016, 03:33:38 PM
One of the problems we have come across is the 2 year or 60 college credit requirement.  This is an unusual requirement for CAP members.  I have had a couple of people that were interested and were lay speakers in their congregations, but did not have the requisite college experience.  I had a high school graduate Mother of 4 that would have been a good fit, but??

AirAux....couldn't agree with you more. That is exactly why the new CAPR 265-1 addresed that issue and changed that requirement to having completed both the Training Leaders of Cadets course and Basic Instructor Course.   The individual (s) you were referring to would certainly now be ideal candidates for becoming a CDI.

Майор Хаткевич

To be honest, we have a chaplain, and a CDI-in the works at our unit. I'm glad that someone else can facilitate instead of me.

What does Grind-My-Gears(TM), is the little mandate that came out of nowhere on E-services.

Before, in multi-entry, I picked a date, it auto populated, and I clicked the cadets who participated in CD. Then at some point, I go in to do that, and lo and behold, I've got two more selections to make! Now I have to pick the instructor (and not just from my unit list, but from the wing list! Fun!), and the Lesson type (Wingman Course,  Flight time, MoH, None of the above - what?). Here's the kicker. I get to pick the date, and it auto-populates. But when I need to select the Instructor/Lesson, I have to do it manually, for each cadet. This basically makes the multi-entry just marginally more usefull than manually checking each and every cadet.

I even get why NHQ/Chaplain Corps may want to know who's teaching, what, to how many, and how often. But then...why did this mandate fall on the Cadet Programs staff? Why aren't the Chaplains entering this info? Why couldn't they submit this information direct from their end, but leave the CP crews to click the boxes as before? I've submitted a ticked on E-Services, asking if it would be possible to add two drop boxes to I can pick 1 chaplain/CDI and 1 topic to auto-populate, but haven't heard back on that.

And for those interested, the ILWG list shows me 20 Chaplains - 2 GLR, 18 ILWG, 9 CDIs. IIRC, ILWG currently has 30-35 Units.

Chappie

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on March 22, 2016, 03:45:22 PM
<snip>
Before, in multi-entry, I picked a date, it auto populated, and I clicked the cadets who participated in CD. Then at some point, I go in to do that, and lo and behold, I've got two more selections to make! Now I have to pick the instructor (and not just from my unit list, but from the wing list! Fun!), and the Lesson type (Wingman Course,  Flight time, MoH, None of the above - what?). Here's the kicker. I get to pick the date, and it auto-populates. But when I need to select the Instructor/Lesson, I have to do it manually, for each cadet. This basically makes the multi-entry just marginally more usefull than manually checking each and every cadet.

I even get why NHQ/Chaplain Corps may want to know who's teaching, what, to how many, and how often. But then...why did this mandate fall on the Cadet Programs staff? Why aren't the Chaplains entering this info? Why couldn't they submit this information direct from their end, but leave the CP crews to click the boxes as before? I've submitted a ticked on E-Services, asking if it would be possible to add two drop boxes to I can pick 1 chaplain/CDI and 1 topic to auto-populate, but haven't heard back on that. <snip>

Chaplain Corps personnel can only input the above data for the units they are assigned to.   We are trying to work out the "bugs" with IT for those CDIs and Chaplains who are assigned to one unit yet facilitate CD sessions in neighboring squadrons -- and in a couple of situations -- wings.

Eclipse

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on March 22, 2016, 03:45:22 PMWhy aren't the Chaplains entering this info? Why couldn't they submit this information direct from their end,

Mine does - did it last week.  I had been doing it and felt like I was usurping his duties so I emailed him the list from the
last session and he mass entered them.  I'm pretty sure my CDC was able to do it as well and she isn't a CDI.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on March 22, 2016, 04:57:15 PM
Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on March 22, 2016, 03:45:22 PMWhy aren't the Chaplains entering this info? Why couldn't they submit this information direct from their end,

Mine does - did it last week.  I had been doing it and felt like I was usurping his duties so I emailed him the list from the
last session and he mass entered them.  I'm pretty sure my CDC was able to do it as well and she isn't a CDI.

Well, I am the CDC, so yea, obviously I can enter this info. I am not aware that Chaplains have access to the cadet promotions module, and it still doesn't quite make sense that with multi entry they added extra fields that aren't...multi-entry.

Eclipse

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on March 22, 2016, 05:39:33 PM
I am not aware that Chaplains have access to the cadet promotions module, and it still doesn't quite make sense that with multi entry they added extra fields that aren't...multi-entry.

Chaplains are granted data entry permissions in the Cadet Programs module through duty position.

"That Others May Zoom"

AirAux

Chappie, I just passed my Basic Instructor exam, so I will get my recommendation and send my application in for CDI.  thanks for the help!!

Chappie

Quote from: AirAux on March 22, 2016, 06:32:32 PM
Chappie, I just passed my Basic Instructor exam, so I will get my recommendation and send my application in for CDI.  thanks for the help!!

Outstanding!!!

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on March 22, 2016, 06:04:26 PM
Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on March 22, 2016, 05:39:33 PM
I am not aware that Chaplains have access to the cadet promotions module, and it still doesn't quite make sense that with multi entry they added extra fields that aren't...multi-entry.

Chaplains are granted data entry permissions in the Cadet Programs module through duty position.

Add that to the list of "would be nice to know as a CP guy".

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: AirAux on March 22, 2016, 06:32:32 PM
Good job!  I'll look forward to seeing your appointment identification!