Main Menu

Radio installs in CAP vans

Started by wuzafuzz, June 12, 2009, 01:41:54 PM

wuzafuzz

Our CAP vans don't seem to have a lot of options for installing radios.  We planned to build a console for ours, but leaving room for engine cover removal would place the console so far back it would be tough to view. I would love to do a slick install, but at the moment I'm considering bolting it to the side of the seat.

What have others done?

The van in question here is a 2008 Ford E-350.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

wuzafuzz

I should have mentioned in the first post, the radio is an EFJ 5317.  Radios with control heads would be so much easier to mount than these one piece wonders, at least in these vans.

EMT-83

Bolting it to the seat makes it very tough to see and use the radio. The doghouse and air bags don't leave a lot of options.

I've seen lots of them mounted right on top of the dash. It's a little ugly, but with the cables dressed properly, it's acceptable.

NC Hokie

Quote from: wuzafuzz on June 12, 2009, 01:41:54 PM
Our CAP vans don't seem to have a lot of options for installing radios.  We planned to build a console for ours, but leaving room for engine cover removal would place the console so far back it would be tough to view. I would love to do a slick install, but at the moment I'm considering bolting it to the side of the seat.

What have others done?

The van in question here is a 2008 Ford E-350.
The radios in our van are mounted on perpendicular brackets bolted to the floor between the two front seats.  They're angled towards the passenger seat, but a passenger in the front bench seat can operate them as well.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

isuhawkeye

Iowa outfited several vehicles a few years ago.  They had a local public safety provider do the cases.  here are a few pictures

Here are the guys that were used
http://www.keltekinc.com/

I even used them for my personal truck

LtCol Hooligan

We build boxes that sat between the driver and passenger seats.  Then mounted the radio to the front of them.  The boxes were secured to the floor with butterfyl bolts for easy removal.
ERIK C. LUDLOW, Lt Col, CAP
Director of IT; Director of Cadet Programs
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.ndcap.us

wuzafuzz

Quote from: isuhawkeye on June 12, 2009, 02:02:54 PM
Iowa outfited several vehicles a few years ago.  They had a local public safety provider do the cases.  here are a few pictures

Thanks for the info.  I can't see the photos, although I tried both Safari and Firefox browsers.

notaNCO forever

Quote from: wuzafuzz on June 12, 2009, 02:35:58 PM
Quote from: isuhawkeye on June 12, 2009, 02:02:54 PM

Thanks for the info.  I can't see the photos, although I tried both Safari and Firefox browsers.

Try opening them in a new tab; that is what I do with google chrome, and it works.

RedFox24

http://www.tessco.com/products/imagedisplay.jsp?itemID=81986

Mount to floor so that the passenger or the driver can see the display.

Use Anderson Power Poles http://www.powerwerx.com/  for your 12v DC connections.  It makes taking the radios out much easier.  I use them on all my power connections for all eletronics.
Contrarian and Curmudgeon at Large

"You can tell a member of National Headquarters but you can't tell them much!"

Just say NO to NESA Speak.

JoeTomasone

Quote from: RedFox24 on June 12, 2009, 03:08:22 PM
Use Anderson Power Poles http://www.powerwerx.com/  for your 12v DC connections.  It makes taking the radios out much easier. I use them on all my power connections for all eletronics.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I'm a big fan of Powerpoles.

RedFox24

Quote from: isuhawkeye on June 12, 2009, 04:32:48 PM
sorry about that.  Here are the blog posts that the pics came from

http://www.halbrookassociates.com/halbrook_associatescom/2007/11/radio-console.html

http://www.halbrookassociates.com/halbrook_associatescom/2007/11/11607-command-a.html

Nice pictures and nice setup.........The only problem I see with your setup is air flow around the radios.  If used for extended time dont they get hot?  Or is there a fan for air flow on the box?

Most Ham setups I see like that have a fan on the box to keep things cool.......

wuzafuzz

wuzafuzz

Quote from: JoeTomasone on June 12, 2009, 04:36:10 PM
Quote from: RedFox24 on June 12, 2009, 03:08:22 PM
Use Anderson Power Poles http://www.powerwerx.com/  for your 12v DC connections.  It makes taking the radios out much easier. I use them on all my power connections for all eletronics.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I'm a big fan of Powerpoles.

I like the idea and am a big fan of standardizing power connections.  It removes the need to spend an hour soldering, crimping, and all around improvising every time we play CUL.

arajca

Keep in mind that the power connectors on the EFJ's are NOT supposed to be removed or modified.

Any good auto parts store has them - look for Weatherpack connectors.

I built a few Weatherpack - PowerPole pigtails.

added NOT

jimmydeanno

We've a '96 Ford 12 Pax at my unit.  The radio is mounted between the driver and passenger seats approximately 12-16 inches from the dog house.  The mount is a flat piece of steel mounted to the floor with a 1.5 inch pole about 18 inches tall.  The top of the pole has an additional piece of steel shaped like a "U" the width of the radio.  It has the ability to swivel and such.  I like it, it doesn't even get in the way for van maintenance...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

JoeTomasone

Quote from: arajca on June 12, 2009, 05:29:32 PM
Keep in mind that the power connectors on the EFJ's are NOT supposed to be removed or modified.

I think that's what you meant to say.  :)

RedFox24

added NOT

I have made up several PowerPole pigtails for different appliations so that you dont have to modify anything that is not "mine" or like the EFJ.  You can have several made up and in your go kit for when you need them and they dont cost much at all to make. 

Also I would suggest that you build a few with inline fuse's in both the positive and negative leads.............for those times when folks forget the supplied leads with fuses in them. ??? :'( ::)

JoeTomasone

I have done the same, and also some reverse converters for those who need power FROM a powerpoled source.   

BrandonKea

Quote from: RedFox24 on June 12, 2009, 04:44:54 PM
Quote from: isuhawkeye on June 12, 2009, 04:32:48 PM
sorry about that.  Here are the blog posts that the pics came from

http://www.halbrookassociates.com/halbrook_associatescom/2007/11/radio-console.html

http://www.halbrookassociates.com/halbrook_associatescom/2007/11/11607-command-a.html

Nice pictures and nice setup.........The only problem I see with your setup is air flow around the radios.  If used for extended time dont they get hot?  Or is there a fan for air flow on the box?

Most Ham setups I see like that have a fan on the box to keep things cool.......

I drove the Expedition at the IAWG SAREVAL last month, no issues with heating that I noticed. That was -THE- best CAP vehicle I've ever seen, and the radio setup is extremely user friendly. I was tempted to drive that sucker across the river and keep it for myself. :-)
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

USADOD

Proper Topic : Radios installed in CAP vans or Radio Installation in CAP vans
Jorvon Brison, SFO, CAP
DCC, Detroit 100th "Red Tails" Composite Squadron
Wright Award  #3495
Mitchell Award #54039
Earhart Award #13385

isuhawkeye

We put the same boxes in the vans. 

The only difference was the addition of the light controls, and the APRS radio

BrandonKea

Quote from: USADOD on June 13, 2009, 12:20:52 AM
Proper Topic : Radios installed in CAP vans or Radio Installation in CAP vans

Uhh, it actually works the way it's titled...

Hawkeye, do you guys have light bars on your vans too? If so, do you have pics? We've got a lo-profile light bar we're trying to install on one of our vans and we're trying to figure out the best place for the controller (it's a smaller cheesy looking controller instead of the normal Whelan-esque ones)
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

isuhawkeye

I will preface by letting everyone know that I am not currently a member of CAP, so I can not accurately comment on the current status of the Iowa wing's van's.  what I can tell you is the study and instillation that I was a part of. 

As we discussed response and capability we realized that we had three unique concerns. 

1.  The ability for aircrews to pick out the proper white van, and to facilitate air to ground coordination.

2.  Ground teams and UDF teams need to be identifiable during mission situations in which crews may need to operate along roadsides

3.  To facilitate safe ground operations on airports

These three unique challenges were addressed with the following light configuration.

1.  a standard double rotator light bar with amber domes allowed enough light for safe airport, and road side operations with out giving the impression that our vehicle was law enforcement. 

2.  vertically mounted amber LED panels allow for easy identification for the aircraft.  these lights can even be activated in metropolitan communities with out drawing undue attention to your team. 

I will see if I can dig up some pictures

wuzafuzz

Thanks for all the ideas!

As it turned out I had to mount the radio in a hurry, with no time to order the brackets and mounts others mentioned.  The radio wound up attached to the side of the driver seat but tilted toward the passenger.  (It can be viewed by the driver, but not when they are driving of course!)  The passenger seat base was constructed differently and didn't provide the same mounting opportunity.  I painted a 2x4 black and used that to extend the radio mount a few inches from the seat base, keeping it away from the upholstery. 

If anyone works on the E350 vans, there is a rubber hole plug behind the passenger side kick panel that provides access to the inside of the fender, with a clear shot all the way to the battery.  Much easier than finding a spot to pop a hole in the firewall.

I'll have to revisit the installation at a later date and take the time to do a better job.  I tend to be a perfectionist regarding installs because my first real job after high school was installing all the toys in patrol cars, fire trucks, trash trucks, etc for a county gov't.  It can be tough; my current toolbox doesn't compare to what the county provided 20+ years ago.  Unfortunately, in this case, the rush job was needed for reasons I won't air here.

wuzafuzz

added NOT

Are the Weatherpack connectors interchangeable with PowerPoles?

Has anyone found a source for compatible power plugs on the EFJ mobiles?  Sooner or later we will need some spares.  If only to build some with PowerPole type connectors...

IceNine

Quote from: wuzafuzz on June 13, 2009, 03:46:04 PM

added NOT

Has anyone found a source for compatible power plugs on the EFJ mobiles?  Sooner or later we will need some spares.  If only to build some with PowerPole type connectors...

Napa Carries the weatherpack connector, take one in to them and they'll be able to find it.  Or just ask for a "delphi 2 pin weatherpack connector (male or female as appropriate)"

OR

Check this guy on ebay
if you ask he will send you a 2 pin only assortment for the same price.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

IceNine

Quote from: IceNine on June 13, 2009, 04:17:30 PM

added NOT

They are not compatible with the powerpoles unless you make a pigtail.  I personally made several pigtails from weatherpacks to powerpoles, molex, ring terminals (2 different sizes), bare wire, etc

Napa Carries the weatherpack connector, take one in to them and they'll be able to find it.  Or just ask for a "delphi 2 pin weatherpack connector (male or female as appropriate)"

OR

Check this guy on ebay
if you ask he will send you a 2 pin only assortment for the same price.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

arajca

added NOT

No. Square peg - round hole relationship.

QuoteHas anyone found a source for compatible power plugs on the EFJ mobiles?  Sooner or later we will need some spares.  If only to build some with PowerPole type connectors...
As mentioned previously, NAPA, CarQuest, or any good aut parts store should have them.

wuzafuzz

Quote from: arajca on June 13, 2009, 09:54:37 PM

added NOT

No. Square peg - round hole relationship.

QuoteHas anyone found a source for compatible power plugs on the EFJ mobiles?  Sooner or later we will need some spares.  If only to build some with PowerPole type connectors...
As mentioned previously, NAPA, CarQuest, or any good aut parts store should have them.

I didn't realize the EFJ connector is the Weatherpack connector until I clicked the link in  IceNine's post.  Now we're marching to the same drummer!  Thanks for the clarification.

arajca

Quote from: wuzafuzz on June 13, 2009, 03:40:09 PM
Thanks for all the ideas!

As it turned out I had to mount the radio in a hurry, with no time to order the brackets and mounts others mentioned.  The radio wound up attached to the side of the driver seat but tilted toward the passenger.  (It can be viewed by the driver, but not when they are driving of course!)  The passenger seat base was constructed differently and didn't provide the same mounting opportunity.  I painted a 2x4 black and used that to extend the radio mount a few inches from the seat base, keeping it away from the upholstery.
Except for painting the 2x4 black, that's pretty much the standard installation. However, reading the display can be difficult - have to lay across the driver's seat (or lap ;D) to get a good angle.

I picked up some plain slotted angle and strap to mount the radio. A couple of angle brackets to hold the angle upright and straps coming off at an angle to provide additional support front-to-back. The radio provides side-to-side support. Radio is about 10" - 12" behind the doghouse. No pics at this time, though - the van is at encampment. I have a few other ideas, but I need to do more research.

arajca

Something I noticed was that EFJ is about the same width as a standard automotive stereo. I did some measuring and I think an EFJ and a standard DIN stereo will fit into the space for the stereo in Ford vans (they're a double DIN size). I need to measure the depth and contact Ford to determine what routing instructions/precautions need to be taken for the antenna cable, but it appears doable.

arajca

Size wise, it'll work. Need to do a little trimming of plastic (there's a lip on the inside ofthe opening that's interferring). Antenna cable can be routed under the passenger airbag - there's a metal plate with a plastic cover the cable will fit neatly between. The plate is between the cable and the airbag, which is also in a metal housing. I may consider a steel braided wire cover as well - and possibly for the power leads. It may be overkill, but I'd rather do that than have the airbag blow off when I key the mike...

From there, route the cable up the passenger's A pillar and to the mount.

The underside of the dash is wide open - pulling the doghouse provides lots of access.

Found the Ford Mobile Radio Installation Guidelines online.

Got to redo the power lead - the current install uses a quick-tap into a wire under the dash, not a direct battery hook up as recommended.

Need to vist my friendly Ford dealer and have a chat with the service guys before I do anything, though.