Main Menu

MOLLE

Started by winterg, November 19, 2008, 04:26:16 AM

Duke Dillio

alamrcn

I came in late... and only skimmed some of the posts, sorry...

FANTASTIC IDEA!

Do you think Darrin and Kirt's "front only" piece will meet National's vest requirement? That style would probably work best for me also for the same reasons. No need to get crazy with custom lables and reflective crap that might just be covered up anyway - the color change only would just GREAT!

Never mind the pouches, belts, etc, either. This would be perfect for anyone who already uses mil gear for CAP use, and I think a great seller if National got behind it (like allowing an ad in Volunteer) or it was able to be marketed well.

I absolutely HATE HATE HATE trying to wear current vests (of ANY quality and material) that keep rolling and bunching up under my gear.  Finally, this would be a way to not only meet National's vest requirement, but successfully integrate it into either of our two gear set-ups.

I'm in!

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

winterg

Problem I see is that there would not be enough orange material in back to count as a vest.  We'd have to go with an actual standard type vest in orange MOLLE for it to work.

I agree.  Make it the National standard and let's all get on the same page.  Like THAT will ever happen! lol

alamrcn

What would happen if you took a mil issue dessert MOLLE vest...

Used Rit Dye color remover to pull dye out and then some Clorox Ultra bleach...

Then dye it in heavy consentration with Sunshine Orange #43...

Anyone have something of the same material as the vest that they would want to try this with?
Looks like the other materials would cost less than $10 total.

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

Stonewall

I actually have a desert colored 3-day pack from Blackhawk that I stole acquired from CENTCOM (still has "Property of CENTCOM" written on with a Sharpie) that is the same type material.

If I get bored over Thanksgiving weekend maybe I'll attempt this project.

Serving since 1987.

alamrcn

Git'er done... Let's see how orange that sucker can get!

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

SarDragon

Not ever having had the opportunity to handle such equipment, I have to ask - what variety of textile are we discussing here, all cotton, or some synthetic, or a blend?

If it's all cotton, you'll have reasonable success with the color removal scheme. Make sure you don't make the Clorox solution too strong, or you'll seriously degrade the fabric and thread.

If it's synthetic, it won't work. The color is a part of the thread used to make the fabric. That's the way it came out of the machine.

A blend will probably give you an unsatisfactory intermediate result.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Stonewall

Made of 1000 denier nylon
Serving since 1987.

SarDragon

Quote from: Stonewall on November 26, 2008, 08:51:54 PM
Made of 1000 denier nylon

Save the effort. You'll just ruin a perfectly good piece of gear.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

notaNCO forever

Just spray paint it orange.  ;D

winterg

Yeah, don't waste your time.  The material will not accept a dye.  If it's gonna work it will have to be manufactured in international orange.  That Vest Guy said he'd make a MOLLE vest in orange but the webbing will stillbe black since he doesn't have orange webbing.  Not sure how well that would work.

If we can get a manufacture to take a chance and make them as well as being as affordable as the standard vests like we've seen ($35 - $45 range), I think there'd be a suitable demand to justify it.

Hawk200

If you can get a decent MOLLE type Fighting Load Carrier in Orange, including the webbing, I'd go for it (if it's a reasonable price of course). Pouches would have to be available too, but if someone makes the carrier and markets it well, pouches and such won't be far behind.

Strangely, over here, there are a lot of folks adding glint tape and other reflective material to their vests. Seems odd to me, but it's being done. That and you see a lot of chemlights being affixed all over uniforms.

O-Rex

For those of you with some sewing talent who like to upgrade & modify the crap out of all your gear, here is a great source for materials at rock-bottom prices:

http://www.diytacticalstore.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index

They even sell 1000 Denier nylon orange fabric.   

Downside-lots of items are out-of-stock.

Stonewall: please don't harm your 3-day pack in the name of research: I'm thinking of starting a PETA-like organization to stop you if you do  :angel:

Stonewall

Quote from: O-Rex on November 28, 2008, 01:23:36 PMStonewall: please don't harm your 3-day pack in the name of research: I'm thinking of starting a PETA-like organization to stop you if you do  :angel:

Don't worry, I didn't realize the pack was in my wife's car and being used as her E&E (or B.O.B - Bail Out Bag).  I didn't feel like taking it apart and have to find her a new pack to keep in her trunk only to never be used...hopefully.

Not to mentioned, if I had a half hour to do something like this, I'd rather just sleep.  4 month old daughter, 2 year old son can take a lot of you.
Serving since 1987.