The new yellow tracker/elper

Started by WoodlandSARman, July 25, 2007, 05:12:18 PM

WoodlandSARman

AKA they yellow box with 4 rubber duckies.

Anyone use this thing yet?

We tried it out last Monday and its a pain, took twice as long as a regular elper to find the elt that I hid. Its efective but when you get close its not even close to be as efective as an elper and body blocking.

Told my Squadron commander that we need to stick with the regular elper on missions and she said ok hahaha. She was also told this by a cadet GTM and GTL. It just acts real funny and is a lot harder to use then the elper. Even at NESA they had mixed reviews on it.
SM Chamberlin
Former C/CMSGT. "lifer"
IN Wing Central Group ES Officer GLR-IN-224
Former GLR-IN-123
Former SWR-OK-002 - Black Knight Command Staff.
Former GLR-IN-069
NGSAR Basic 2000 - Honor Team
NESA GSAR Advanced/Team Leader - 2001 NESA GSAR Basic -  2007

IceNine

Are you talking about the profind?
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

WoodlandSARman

Yeah thats its, forgot the name, I hope there is not another million threads on it now hahaha.
SM Chamberlin
Former C/CMSGT. "lifer"
Former GLR-IN-123
Former GLR-IN-069

IceNine

sure are check anything that say's L-per in the title and you will probably see some feedback for the profind as well

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

WoodlandSARman

SM Chamberlin
Former C/CMSGT. "lifer"
Former GLR-IN-123
Former GLR-IN-069

SARPilotNY

Nothing beat the old l-per.  The sticks alone getting the antenna above your head adds 3 db to the signal.  The old is crystal controlled...more sensitive, the antennas are full length vs. half size with the new L-per, tracker and the like.  Hang on to the old ones...
CAP member 30 + years SAR Pilot, GTM, Base staff

WoodlandSARman

I told my team that for the time being the yellow "thing" is staying the the box. :D
SM Chamberlin
Former C/CMSGT. "lifer"
Former GLR-IN-123
Former GLR-IN-069

IceNine

I must disagree, while the profind may not be the most efficient tool of the trade it does have its use.  That being said "leaving it in the box" will only make your members lose proficiency.  Just remember that training with the latest, greatest, most efficient tool of the trade generally tends to create a dependence, and false sense of security.  And then what happens when that shiny new L-per's batteries die, or it needs to go back to the shop for upgrades, and then you get a redcap.

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

WoodlandSARman

Well I meant for the time being. None of us are good with it at all. I still plan to try and get better with it and one day use it at the very least as a back up.

I feel it would be very stupid to take one on a mission right now untill I am better with it. It may end up being better who knows, from what I could tell you really can't body block with it when you are say within 20 feet of the elt.

Did notice that you can still triangulate with it. I just like the needle, I don't like the idea of LED lights. Again this kind of stuff is normal with new equipment.

Must say its easier to carry around and set up then the big elper hahaha.

I really wish the profind took regular battaries.........
SM Chamberlin
Former C/CMSGT. "lifer"
Former GLR-IN-123
Former GLR-IN-069

ZigZag911

You youngsters with your newfangled techno-wonders!

Nothing beats a Jetstream with analog tuning for true fun hunting ELTs!

SarDragon

Quote from: ZigZag911 on July 26, 2007, 05:25:29 AM
You youngsters with your newfangled techno-wonders!

Nothing beats a Jetstream with analog tuning for true fun hunting ELTs!

Don'tcha know it. I have two in my gear to supplement my L-per. The last time we had an exercise, I found the practice beacon before any of the mentored new folks using L-pers.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

KC0IEA

I have had some experience with the ProFind and have exchanged many e-mails with their development group.
One thing that finally came out is that the Profind does not work like an L-Per.
To get the bearing to a beacon rotate the unit until all of the lits on one side are lit and then that is the direction to the beacon, to the right or left of the unit Not down the centerline like an L-per.  Do Not try to center the Right/Left indicators.

When in close use the signal strength to to get the line to the beacon. Maximum signal strength, beacon is down the centerline of the unit.

I hope this makes sense.

I have had some of the GTL out with it and once they stop trying to use it like an L-per they seem to like it.

The instructions sent with the Profind are terrible!

WoodlandSARman

HAHAHA I was wondering about that, I was like hmm, I know its straight ahead but its telling me its to the right hahahaha.

Your way makes complete sense now.
SM Chamberlin
Former C/CMSGT. "lifer"
Former GLR-IN-123
Former GLR-IN-069

SoCalCAPOfficer

Im not familiar with the Pro Find.   However, our unit has had the new L-Per yellow cheese block for some time now.   We find it works very well.  The first day we had it we df'd an elt at our home airport before it had even been reported.   I have used it many times and find the digital readout of signal strength to be invaluable in locating elts that are in hangers.

I personally like it a lot better than the old Little L-Pers.  Its more compact and I think it works better.
Daniel L. Hough, Maj, CAP
Commander
Hemet Ryan Sq 59  PCR-CA-458

drcomm

We have not had much luck with our Pro Find.  We have one called a "Tracker" that seems to beat them all. Our ground team refers to it as the "Bat Wings".  It gives a better DF than the L-Per and wins over the Pro Find hands down.  The Tracker is small and relatively easy to use with a little practice.  Though we have found that it works better in the Manual mode as opposed to the Automatic mode.
David Romere, Maj, CAP
Starbase Composite Squadron, SWR-OK-151
Oil Well 767
Mitchell Award #2536 (May 1981)
Amateur Radio Call Sign: KA5OWI

Major Lord

I tried the Pro-find out at National in St. Louis and found it to be a bit deaf, and ambiguous in bearing readings. Not surprising considering an antenna "array" that has negative gain (loss) as opposed to the old L-per. Given the current trend away from conventional DF techniques beyond the 121.5 expiration ( yes, I know it is not really going away) It seems unlikely that many major manufacturers wil be developing new and improved DF gear. Too bad.

Capt. Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

SARPilotNY

Quote from: SoCalCAPOfficer on July 26, 2007, 08:20:29 PM
Im not familiar with the Pro Find.   However, our unit has had the new L-Per yellow cheese block for some time now.   We find it works very well.  The first day we had it we df'd an elt at our home airport before it had even been reported.   I have used it many times and find the digital readout of signal strength to be invaluable in locating elts that are in hangers.

I personally like it a lot better than the old Little L-Pers.  Its more compact and I think it works better.
How does the new l-per work around hangers and harbors?
CAP member 30 + years SAR Pilot, GTM, Base staff

SoCalCAPOfficer

I dont know about harbors, but it works well around hangers.   When you get in the general area watch the digital strength meter.   Even through metal doors, the strength has always peaked at the highest digital reading when I found the right hanger.   Just move from door to door and watch the readout, when you find the one that gives the highes reading thats the one.   Same thing with airplanes on the tarmack or in hangers find the one that is giving the highest digital reading.  I find it a lot simpler than the old L-Per.
Commander

CadetProgramGuy

At my last SAREX I tried both the Pro Find and the L-Per and I have to say there are advantages and disadvantages to both.

PROS:

Profind: 

Takes thought out of finding direction of signal
Less Bulky
Headphone adapter

L-PER:
Body Block
ability to adjust sensivity (sp)
get to look cool with this huge metal hanger looking doo-hicky

On the body block for the pro-find, we have foiund that if you take the rubber duckies off, you can marginally body block.

After 2 tries with each piece of equipment, I found the ELT's in about 15-20 minutes with the Pro-Find, an dabout 30 minutes with the L-PER.

It comes down to personal choice.

SoCalCAPOfficer

No matter which df unit you use, it helps to bring a portable transceiver as well, so you can push the antenna under the hanger door or do some real body blocking.
Commander