Is there a need to break in used boots?

Started by xray328, May 29, 2015, 08:24:42 PM

xray328

Kids both got used Corcoran boots off eBay.  They've obviously been worn/broken in already but do they need to do the break in process again since it's a different foot in the boot?

I'm seeing people suggest filling them with water so they are dripping wet then wearing them until they dry?  Is that still the best way?

SarDragon

It works, but it's really hard on the boots and the feet in them.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Holding Pattern

Quote from: xray328 on May 29, 2015, 08:24:42 PM
Kids both got used Corcoran boots off eBay.  They've obviously been worn/broken in already but do they need to do the break in process again since it's a different foot in the boot?

I'm seeing people suggest filling them with water so they are dripping wet then wearing them until they dry?  Is that still the best way?

That is still the worst way. Buy some leather conditioner and use that on the boots. Wear them at home first, then work up to heavier use. Water will warp and crack the leather, and probably crack your skin on your feet as well.

Just like you would use moisturizer on your feet, leather conditioner is what you'll use to make the leather more supple to conform to new feet.

Holding Pattern

A.Member

FWIW, if the plan is to wear them anywhere for any meaningful amount of time, I'd rather buy a *new* set of the cheap $40-$50 knockoffs than buy a *used* set of Corcorans/insert higher end boot manufacturer here.  Boots broken in to someone else's foot are not good, especially if you're going to be in them an extended period of time (long weekend/week). 
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."