In Search Of: Radio Gear Bag

Started by wuzafuzz, June 26, 2012, 02:24:06 AM

wuzafuzz

I'm a Wing DC, CUL, MRO, amateur radio ARES dude, and overall radio geek.  With that in mind, I'm looking for some sort of bag to carry my radios and accessories around. 

What I want is a bag that will allow me to carry at least 4 portable radios with antennas attached and one spare battery (or more) for each radio.  Radios range in size from ISRs to XTS5000 or EFJ5112.  The bag would also hold speaker mics, possibly a Bird wattmeter, a few misc coaxial connectors, and would include pouches for other items like the NIFOG, scratch pad, small flashlight, etc.

I've looked at a variety of bags.  Range bags seem to come closest since most radios fit nicely in the AR-15 size mag pouches.  So far nothing I've found quite fits the bill.  The 5.11 Bail Out Bag was close, but not quite.  If it had those mag pouches on both sides it would be nearly perfect.

Chances are someone else out there already has a solution.  It doesn't have to look hardcore tactical.  I don't care if its a Harbor Freight tool bag in some goofy color.  It just needs to work.

Any ideas?
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

lordmonar

Alice Med with a frame is cheap, will cary everything and won't cost you an arm and a leg.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

wuzafuzz

I should add that this bag is not really intended as a wearable accessory.  It would spend most of its existence sitting in a trunk, on a car seat, or on a table top.  The only time it would be attached to me is when moving between those places.

lordmonar

Quote from: wuzafuzz on June 26, 2012, 02:34:33 AM
I should add that this bag is not really intended as a wearable accessory.  It would spend most of its existence sitting in a trunk, on a car seat, or on a table top.  The only time it would be attached to me is when moving between those places.
Oh.....then maybe a nice big camra bag....or a hobby bag like they sell at harts and crafts stores.  They usually have velcro dividers to keep things neat and seperate...and are nice and padded to protect the radios.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on June 26, 2012, 02:50:05 AM
Quote from: wuzafuzz on June 26, 2012, 02:34:33 AM
Oh.....then maybe a nice big camra bag....

Second on the camera bag, especially the ones with velcro pockets for a lot of lenses.  My wings DC uses one and it seems a good piece of kit.

Maxpedition makes a bunch of great stuff, Certified Tactikewl.

"That Others May Zoom"

ol'fido

Buy a Pelican case/tote with wheels and a handle and call it a day. Much easier than a fabric bag where everything shifts around as you handle it.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

SarDragon

There are backpacks available that also have wheels. I checked out a couple of them, but decided not to buy them, partly because they weren't exactly what I needed, and partly because of cost. Both were comfortable, and held a lot. They were a well known brand, but I don't recall which one. I'm pretty sure it wasn't North Face.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

wuzafuzz

Thanks for all the suggestions, both on CAPTalk and those who sent direct emails.  Some good and creative ideas out there!

One of the suggestions received was for this tool bag from Grainger:
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/CLC-Drawstring-Bucket-Tool-Bag-4ZB52?Pid=search

A friend of mine uses that bag to store a bunch of water bottles in his SAR truck.  The bag has a lot of storage capacity, although with the centrally located carrying strap it could have some weight and balance issues.  Still, it's a great storage bag and I'm picking one up.

Another option that turned up is this bag from LA Police Gear.  It's surprisingly inexpensive and the MOLLE straps on both sides will allow for insane customization.  It's on clearance so I pounced.  I can add MOLLE radio pouches as needed on both sides.  Some radio pouches can be had pretty cheap and others are pricey.  Shopping around will be a good thing.
http://www.lapolicegear.com/lapg-137-molle-bag.html

disamuel

Here are some interesting options:

http://countycomm.com/bags.html

And this website has some pretty cool looking equipment harnesses:

http://www.civilianlab.com/

a2capt

I picked up one of the bucket bags from Grainger because when I saw it here, I figured that would be a nice compliment for computer cables and similar, when they're coiled up. they can be all looked at straight down, and that thing can be just placed into another bag, like a rolling carry on.

Since a member in my unit works there, I asked about picking one up and he got it and brought it to the meeting. Nice simple design, and decently built.

denverpilot

Tossing a note in here, I like the Klein Tools colored canvas zipper pouches for accessories and smaller "stuff" like connectors that tend to get away in a Comm kit or end up wedged in the bottom of a regular bag...

http://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-5140-Canvas-Zipper/dp/B000MKDUKU

The colors mean you know which one to grab, and the canvas is going to last a lifetime, really...

They're a touch spendy, but I've got a number of them over time... They're in the garage, cars, etc.

For the bag... Something like this perhaps?

http://www.amazon.com/Custom-Leathercraft-1126-Small-32-Pocket/dp/B000KL5WA2/ref=pd_cp_hi_2

Dracosbane

Try LA Police Gear.  You might like their Tactical BOB.  The magazine pouch covers are adjustable/removable.

I have two and I even have forgotten about storage spaces the things have.  They're sturdy as all heck.  And they have them on sale regularly.

wuzafuzz

Quote from: wuzafuzz on June 26, 2012, 08:38:24 PM
Another option that turned up is this bag from LA Police Gear.  It's surprisingly inexpensive and the MOLLE straps on both sides will allow for insane customization.  It's on clearance so I pounced.  I can add MOLLE radio pouches as needed on both sides.  Some radio pouches can be had pretty cheap and others are pricey.  Shopping around will be a good thing.
http://www.lapolicegear.com/lapg-137-molle-bag.html

I just realized I never followed up on this thread.  The L.A. Police Gear bag described above is what I purchased.  A couple of radio pouches strapped to the outside straps and I was in business.  The bag served me well for ARES duty with some of the CO wildfires, and at several CAP missions or activities.  It even holds my iPad along with a boatload of spare batteries.  The only thing I wish is that the cloth held its shape better when empty.  But, for the price, it has been awesome.