Main Menu

Dragon Net

Started by Tubacap, August 22, 2010, 02:12:26 PM

Tubacap

Does anyone know who a good point of contact to talk about the back end administration/implementation of Dragon Net would be?
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: Tubacap on August 22, 2010, 02:12:26 PM
Does anyone know who a good point of contact to talk about the back end administration/implementation of Dragon Net would be?
Is this what you are talking about?:
http://njwgcap.org/clients/njwgcap/Dragonnetinstructions.pdf

RM

Tubacap

Thanks!  Does anyone have any experience with it in regards to likes/dislikes of the system?
NER-PA-001

Eclipse

OK, I'll ask.

It's just Google Apps, which is already free for 501c(3)'s - why would anyone bother to wrap it in a private implementation?  What they provide is already complete.

"That Others May Zoom"

Tubacap

I believe it is Google Apps, you just brand it whatever.  My squadron uses it, but wing-wide implantation could be a little trickier, but also have a lot of advantages.  No cost, but with all the benefits/drawbacks of Google Apps.
NER-PA-001

Eclipse

The docs say it is Google apps - what is Dragon net doing to it that makes it different / better than simply implementing a free account of Apps for Education directly as many in my wing have done?

Wing-wide implementation is no different than a squadron - you just request more users.

My account has 300.

"That Others May Zoom"

JC004

I've implemented Apps at several organizations and am working on an improved setup for my own organization as part of our new intranet.  You know where to find me if you have questions.  For you, consulting is at the discounted People-I-Like Rate.

I would also be happy to assist if you wish to set up some type of member area/intranet.  My intranet implementations, after all, were originally prototyped for CAP use before I made them elsewhere.  I think that you've seen some of my system.  We'll be delivering some talks on intranets for small non-profits at a couple of universities here, but that is probably a bit out of your way.  That said, we're working on certification for a statewide series of presentations of non-profit tech for small/medium organizations, so maybe we'll get up your way. 

Eclipse

For CAP you simply can't find a better solution - fully hosted, ad-free, email for the cost of a domain reg?  Amazing.

"That Others May Zoom"

Pylon

Quote from: Eclipse on August 31, 2010, 11:24:18 PM
For CAP you simply can't find a better solution - fully hosted, ad-free, email for the cost of a domain reg?  Amazing.

Or completely free if you're using a cap.gov subdomain. My squadron is using one of those, and with Google Apps for Education, it's entirely free.  Just takes a few steps to set it all up with the right people and then it pretty much runs maintenance and cost free in perpetuity.  The only maintenance needed is to add/remove users when necessary.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

CommGeek

Someone should send that info to the FLWG IT dept.  thay need all the help they can get!

DBlair

Quote from: CommGeek on September 01, 2010, 01:04:22 PM
Someone should send that info to the FLWG IT dept.  thay need all the help they can get!

lol
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

RiverAux

Are they still giving out cap.gov domains for web sites?
Is CAP hosting the site?
How much storage?
Who is the contact?

Pylon

Quote from: RiverAux on September 01, 2010, 11:05:55 PM
Are they still giving out cap.gov domains for web sites?

I got approval for one about a year or so ago.  Still have to follow the process to receive permission from your Wing Commander or designee (in NYWG the designee was the Wing Director of IT), then submit a request to NHQ's Domain Manager (I believe Col William W. Webb is still the admin of this).

Quote from: RiverAux on September 01, 2010, 11:05:55 PM
Is CAP hosting the site?
How much storage?
Who is the contact?

CAP provides no hosting.  What was referenced above is Google Apps and Google Mail for Education which is a free service Google will provide to CAP units and other qualified 501(c)(3) non-profits and their chapters.    It provides email accounts with around 7Gb per email account in storage, plus apps like the collaborative Google Docs, Calendar, and others built around your .gov domain and limited to your users.

You can use Google apps and email to manage email and also have a public website not hosted by Google all on the same domain (even the xyz.cap.gov subdomains).  Of course, if you wanted a website, you would have to have an outside host which neither CAP nor Google provide.

Read more here:  http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/nonprofit/index.html
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Eclipse

Google Sites, which is part of the Apps portfolio, fits the needs of the majority of most units and is hosted as part of the service.

If you choose to go with a .gov domain, the mx and www records would be pointed there.  Otherwise, GoDaddy is Google's TLD of choice
and so it would cost you about $12 a year, total, for fully hosted mail, web, and collaboration.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

If you host with GoDaddy, do they give you an autographed pic of Danica Patrick?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Capt Rivera

Dreamhost provides free hosting for non profits to include any and all 1500+ CAP commands that want it. (I asked)

Not only that but since its a free full package they provide (for life) your first year of domain registration (optional) is also free (Use it at anytime, immediately or whenever).

Best thing I've found for our squadron: DreamHost & Google Apps Education

Yes the banner above has a referral number in it. I don't think we would get anything since you would be getting a free account and our squadron has a free account... Just my way of letting dreamhost know I sent you and to say thanks for the great service & support they provide for free. I hope you use it but if you dont want to.... its dreamhost.com.

If you have questions on Dreamhost or google Apps... ask..
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

Eclipse

Sweet!  Free is always good!

"That Others May Zoom"

Lancer

Quote from: Capt Rivera on September 02, 2010, 03:18:36 PM
Dreamhost provides free hosting for non profits to include any and all 1500+ CAP commands that want it. (I asked)

I've had Michigan Wing setup on Dreamhost since early 2007 and it's been great to have. They have their own back end administration system (not Cpanel) that is very easy to use. If you happen to be using a host with Cpanel, they'll import the settings from that system.

The one thing I enjoy, and I know the rest of you will to, is their 'one-click' installs of just about any piece of GPL'ed software available. Wordpress, Joomla, Moodle, Gallery..etc, etc.

This link will provide details on what you need to do.

http://wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/Non-profit_Discount

a2capt

I've got our site on Dreamhost too, and their backend stuff smokes cPanel outright.  I only wish a domain redirect were more seamless without upsetting the political pie. Wing offers server space but they still don't have php or mysql. I've also setup Google Apps for mail and document exchange.

Slide your unit logo/patch graphic in there, change the color scheme to match it and it's pretty darn close to private label feel :)