Main Menu

WIWAC

Started by ol'fido, November 17, 2011, 12:41:12 AM

Critical AOA

Well, my cadet days were back in 1973 - 1976.  I don't recall all the differences save that I seem to recall as cadets we were more interested in aerospace education and not so into the militant aspect that seems to be somewhat pervasive now.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

Garibaldi

I think it runs in phases. Most every cadet is really interested in planes and flying first, then uniforms and promotions, then emergency services. It kind of depends on how interesting the leaders make it for the cadets.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

NIN

here ya go, lads, a link to Drummond Island: Declassified in the archives of CadetStuff.

http://archive.cadetstuff.org/archives/000039.html#000039

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Stonewall

Serving since 1987.

NIN

I won't say where, but I get a brief mention... :)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

NC Hokie

Quote from: Stonewall on July 11, 2012, 02:40:09 AM
BEST CAP STORY EVER!

Declassified:  Drummond Island

I read this series years ago when I discovered CadetStuff, and completely forgot about all of the leadership goodness it contains. I think I need to share it with some of my senior cadets (with appropriate disclaimers).
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

Stonewall

And from the previous page where I mentioned flying with the Golden Knights as a cadet at the Lake City air show...

Just before the flight...

During the flight, checking the LZ and/or winds...

Sometime in 1989 out with the FL ARNG 20th SF Group.  Yes, we're teenage cadets, maybe 15 or 16 with M-16A1 rifles.

Then there's always me on the rappel tower at Jacksonville University's NROTC obstacle course circa 1988.

Finally, me and a fellow cadet in 1990 with our very own M-72 (inert) LAW and rubber M-16s.

Of course, me with the unauthroized beret...circa 1991. Last pic as a cadet.

Ah....WIWAC.
Serving since 1987.

Garibaldi

Jeez...and I thought the stuff we did WIWAC was awesome. I guess the most awesome thing we ever did was at the 81 encampment at Ft Benning. We visited the Airborne training facility and got to take a ride on the buddy seat drop. Two cadets sat on a bench, strapped in, and were hauled 250 feet up, held for a moment, and released. After the first 20 feet the chute caught us and we drifted gently to the ground. Then there was the Huey rides at Hunter Army airfield, across the border in Alabama. After lights out, shaving cream wars, general jackassery (General Jackassery *salute*) like shaving cream boots, attacking and kidnapping the CQ, boobytrapping the stairs, Saran-wrapping cadets into their bunk, moving sleeping cadets in their bunks across the room, and once raising a bunk two feet off the floor with paracord. That took coordination and patience.

Critical AOA

Quote from: Garibaldi on July 11, 2012, 07:24:34 PM
Then there was the Huey rides at Hunter Army airfield, across the border in Alabama.

Curious,  when I was stationed at Hunter Army Airfield it was in Savannah, GA.  When did it
move to Alabama?
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

NIN

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on July 11, 2012, 09:18:26 PM
Then there was the Huey rides at Hunter Army airfield, across the border in Alabama.

Curious,  when I was stationed at Hunter Army Airfield it was in Savannah, GA.  When did it
move to Alabama?

Win!
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Garibaldi

Quote from: NIN on July 11, 2012, 09:28:07 PM
Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on July 11, 2012, 09:18:26 PM

move to Alabama?

Win!

Might must be my old age setting in. Hunter is near Fort Stewart, which is home to the 24th Mech. Lawson AAF is what I was thinking of, and it's still in GA, not AL. Jeez. When did my memory get so faulty?

NIN

Quote from: Garibaldi on July 11, 2012, 09:51:10 PM

Might must be my old age setting in. Hunter is near Fort Stewart, which is home to the 24th Mech. Lawson AAF is what I was thinking of, and it's still in GA, not AL. Jeez. When did my memory get so faulty?

When the card said "senior member."
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

SarDragon

Quote from: NIN on July 11, 2012, 09:56:18 PM

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Garibaldi

Quote from: SarDragon on July 11, 2012, 09:58:22 PM
Quote from: NIN on July 11, 2012, 09:56:18 PM

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

eh...screw you guys, I'm going home... /cartman

Stonewall

Sorry for the silly pictures.  This thread and the fact that I will officially be old this weekend have made me miss the good old days.
Serving since 1987.

titanII

Quote from: Stonewall on July 11, 2012, 11:33:16 PM
Sorry for the silly pictures.  This thread and the fact that I will officially be old this weekend have made me miss the good old days.
Let me tell you, Sir, as a current cadet viewing those pictures of a former cadet, those pictures are far from silly. They're pretty darn cool.
No longer active on CAP talk

RogueLeader

Quote from: Stonewall on July 11, 2012, 11:33:16 PM
I thought the were 8)
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Garibaldi

Whenever I tell the new breed about what we did as cadets, their jaws drop. Week-long FTXs during Christmas break, capped off with a bottle rocket war on New Year's Eve, mobilizing an hour before our meeting to change locations so we could take a tour of a B-29, kangaroo courts during FTXs to eliminate discipline problems, 3000 meter night marches, rappelling off a 750' cliff with a broken arm, the Armpit Monster (different thread...someone remind me because it's just too good a story not to share), humping a PRC-77 on my back through the north Georgia mountains, rappelling into a sinkhole and ascending out...I just wish my pictures had survived. I can copy some pics from a private site and repost them, but I'd need permission, as well as retelling some GOOD war stories from before my time. I have a few on my FaceBook that I can repost, but mostly they're just establishing shots. I'll pester my sister to send me some that she has.

ol'fido

I am definitely printing the Drummond Island chronicles out to enjoy for a long time to come. 8)
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

BillB

Every and I repeat, Every cadet that has seen photos of old cadet activities or heard the war stories said they wish CAP was still like that. One said that CAP was getting boring with so many restrictions. But when you ask what restrictions, you will not get any two cadets to agree what they are.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104