Aerial Photography and the Garmin Virb

Started by etodd, June 28, 2017, 05:43:39 PM

etodd

So ..... to bring up this topic yet again on a periodical basis, since no word ever flows down the chain.

We were told to 'stand down' using the Virb until the planes could all be fitted with the 'new and improved' metal mount under the wing. I think a handful of planes actually have those, but not sure if any are actually using them on missions.

I still get the Virb out of the closet every few weeks, blow off the dust, and make sure its all charged up. Should I even bother anymore at this point? Is is a boat anchor now? The idea of vertical photography has passed and we'll just stick with obliques?

Anyone hearing any tidbits from above?
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

NIN

Odd.  We're flying Virb training

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

etodd

Quote from: NIN on June 28, 2017, 09:01:33 PM

As I said ... a few planes ... have been fitted with the new mount. How long ago did you get yours installed?  I'm not hearing anything in our Wing. Crickets.

PHall

Quote from: etodd on June 28, 2017, 09:39:10 PM
Quote from: NIN on June 28, 2017, 09:01:33 PM

As I said ... a few planes ... have been fitted with the new mount. How long ago did you get yours installed?  I'm not hearing anything in our Wing. Crickets.

Did you ask them nicely?

etodd

Quote from: PHall on June 28, 2017, 11:56:41 PM

Did you ask them nicely?

Its been run up the chain, yes. But no word ever comes back down the chain. I guess being APs at the squadron level doesn't give us "need to know basis". LOL  We've sent written requests to Wing, with no response. I was thinking about boxing up the Virb system and shipping it to Wing Hdqrs just to see what type of response it would get.  >:D

Understand .... I never liked the low quality Virb system from the start. But we have folks both starting AP new and others re-qualifying. And between the AP Mission Task Guide being full of stuff we don't use anymore, and the supposed new system not able to be used, its making it confusing for the newcomers for sure.  Making it easier a bit for me as an AP Evaluator though, since we now just skip over so much.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

Quote from: Eclipse on June 29, 2017, 01:39:40 AM
What, exactly, can you skip over?

Yeah, modify may have been a better word than skip over. The SQTR sheets are basically all good since its general topics. Its more like skipping over the old Robogeo issues from the past of having to make sure the NSEW arrow was watermarked properly, titles, etc., etc. I'm not making any new folks work with that system at all. Just teach them the newer FEMA uploader basics for now.  And since the Virb is down and out at our squadron, no need to bother with that at all. I opened the case and said 'here it lies'.  Once we get it back running, if ever, we'll hold training on it with the APs to get them up to speed. The two sorties needed on the SQTR will just be obliques out the window.

IOW .... simplified training with the gear we have been given and allowed to use. Get them AP qualified now. Then we can always add add'l training later.