CAP members to get Army awards

Started by RiverAux, November 13, 2006, 11:29:35 PM

lordmonar

Quote from: RogueLeader on December 13, 2006, 04:14:01 PM
What about those people who are not ES qualified because of they don't have the training, but are want that particular training? Should they be transfered to 000 until they are ES qualified?  The number of ES qualified people at our squad is only half the roster due to new members and several leaving for other reasons.

From what I understand...that is what happens.  A new member goes through the officer training program and at the end of it, he is level II and has some ES qualification.  He is then assigned to a unit near him that is in most need of his services.  So for his first 6-8 month he would be in the 000 unit.  Again...this is just going off the white paper sent to National and some posts here.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

RogueLeader

Quote from: lordmonar on December 13, 2006, 04:24:40 PM

From what I understand...that is what happens.  A new member goes through the officer training program and at the end of it, he is level II and has some ES qualification.  He is then assigned to a unit near him that is in most need of his services.  So for his first 6-8 month he would be in the 000 unit.  Again...this is just going off the white paper sent to National and some posts here.
But thats not the case at my squadron.  We have 8 SM's assigned to our Squad- not 000 with assigned jobs.  I too am there with no ES qual, other than GES and SET.  While not a SM anymore, I still can't get the trainig at the moment.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

DNall

Quote from: flyguy06 on December 12, 2006, 10:27:36 PM
Quote from: DNall on December 12, 2006, 09:33:29 PM
MajGen Pineda works for state LE agency in Florida. As you can imagine, Florida has pretty strong language on the books for state employees who also serve in volunteer or part-time capacities with ES/Disaster related orgs. To be frank, I think most any large Govt agency would be very open to working with someone that is serving in a capacity as national commander of something like CAP. Then as I understand it he also uses flex time & does some work from the road. What he's billing htem for & what he's not, you'd have to ask him, his accountant, & his boss about.

We all know he works for FDLE. Thats no secret. I am not trying to bash. I am honestly trying to find out how he does it so I can do it also.
Flex time & state leave law that covers some aspects of CAP service, plus they're lenient when you're talking about national command versus staffing encampment or GTL on some mission.

cyclone

Quote from: RogueLeader on December 13, 2006, 02:00:14 PM
I'm not saying it is a punishment.  The CAP officer in Iraq, says its a punishment.  I don't really care one way or another.  I thought it relevant to those out there of what SOME people think.  In our squadfron, there are 8 SM's with jobs.

How is it punishment to be transferred to an inactive reserve while he serves his country overseas?  It's not like he is going to respond to a mission or go to a meeting?   His seat is being kept warm while he is gone.

This CAP officer has been fairly inactive since joining the military and has stated that he has been looking for a unit to join locally near his home station for quite some time.  His commander transferred him to the CAP Reserves along with some other inactives that haven't been seen or heard from in a while.  If he showed up at the unit doorstep tomorrow ready to roll he'd get transferred back in to the active unit.

RogueLeader

1) I'm not talking about those who just don't show up becasue of work.  Thosse deserve to be moved, but to somebody was ordered to leave!?!    Come on. 
2) That particular CAP Officer has said in no uncertain terms that he felt that transfere was punitive, and that the transfere was not initiated by him him or with his consent.
3) Why is it that only some who don't show up reguarlyare transfered?  Why not all?  Thats what I want to know.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

cyclone

Quote from: RogueLeader on December 13, 2006, 05:38:50 PM
1) I'm not talking about those who just don't show up becasue of work.  Thosse deserve to be moved, but to somebody was ordered to leave!?!    Come on. 
2) That particular CAP Officer has said in no uncertain terms that he felt that transfere was punitive, and that the transfere was not initiated by him him or with his consent.
3) Why is it that only some who don't show up reguarlyare transfered?  Why not all?  Thats what I want to know.

Unit Assignment and duty position are at the discretion of command.

It's funny that this transferred person has not contacted either his unit commander or wing commander to express any of his concerns.  But yet, his troubles are aired on NOTF?  <I am starting to feel a disturbance in the force>

I think that you need to sit down for a nice chat with your new Unit Commander that authorized the transfer of this guy.  I think you are getting fed a bunch of information from un-informed and disgruntled sources that are using you as a well-intended pawn.  It is obvious from your posts that you just don't have a clue as to what is going on in the Wing and you haven't taken the time to talk in-depth to people who truly know what is going on.  Yet you still continue to post...

Rogue Leader, I recommend you fall out and report to headquarters for briefing!

Pylon

The number of ES qualified people at our squad is only half the roster...

Quote from: RogueLeader on December 13, 2006, 04:30:22 PM
We have 8 SM's assigned to our Squad- not 000 with assigned jobs. 

Sorry to be pedantic, but a squad is an Army term which means "1. a small number of soldiers, commonly 10 privates, a staff sergeant, and a corporal; the smallest military unit."

A squadron is a chartered unit of Civil Air Patrol.

Quote from: RogueLeader on December 13, 2006, 05:27:49 PM
One thing that looks like-in my opinion- is to ensure that all new members- Cadets and Seniors alike, know the proper way to communicate with others in CAP.

Proper communication is indeed important.  :)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

DNall

I don't know what the deal is with this deployed guy, but I assume he's in the guard/reserves, which means he has a full-time job back home right? And lets see, are they still scheduling him for shifts & sending him a paycheck? Is he somehow telecommuting from Iraq during his off hours? No, I imagine they followed the law & gave him military leave (leave of absence) - a status in which he's moved off the active employee roles but when he comes back he'll ba ble to pick up his job where he left off w/ full seniority & no penalty of any kind. So, how exactly is that different from moving to the All Iowa Reserve Sq, where any member is free to come to meetings of any Sq & participate very actively if they want, but just can't hold a position with them & are not required to keep up with any training they don't have time for. It sounds like a pretty nice deal to me. I wish we did it here.

isuhawkeye

Unless I am mistaken this particular member is a soldier with the 101st Airborne division, and is stationed out of Fort Kamble KY.  I'm not sure what the issue is here.

RogueLeader

It seems that I have been, shall we say- misinformed, about the nature of a soldiers deployment and the nature of his transfere.  I apologize for the confusion this has created, and I thus retract my statements concerning that.  I have read nothing, or posted anything to the NOTF.  I have been given a breifing about some of the reorginzation in Iowa.  While it is no secret that I do not like all of what is going on, I can accept what is going on as well as give advice to help out.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

RogueLeader

Quote from: Pylon on December 13, 2006, 06:53:11 PM
The number of ES qualified people at our squad is only half the roster...

Quote from: RogueLeader on December 13, 2006, 04:30:22 PM
We have 8 SM's assigned to our Squad- not 000 with assigned jobs. 

Sorry to be pedantic, but a squad is an Army term which means "1. a small number of soldiers, commonly 10 privates, a staff sergeant, and a corporal; the smallest military unit."

A squadron is a chartered unit of Civil Air Patrol.

Quote from: RogueLeader on December 13, 2006, 05:27:49 PM
One thing that looks like-in my opinion- is to ensure that all new members- Cadets and Seniors alike, know the proper way to communicate with others in CAP.

Proper communication is indeed important.  :)
Yes Sir, You are right, I just was short for time, and my short hand ttok over.  I know I should take more time.  I will try to keep that in mind.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

DNall

There are appropriate abbreviations.

I think most of us DO want to hear problems going on in Iowa. We'd like to know the good, bad, & ugly of it. However, I'm not sure there would be a lot of tolerance for whinning or simple refusal to change & accept a higher harder standard. Please state your problems, but clarify the situation professionally & you'll be better recieved even supported.

Major Carrales

Quote from: DNall on December 15, 2006, 07:58:06 AM
There are appropriate abbreviations.

I think most of us DO want to hear problems going on in Iowa. We'd like to know the good, bad, & ugly of it. However, I'm not sure there would be a lot of tolerance for whinning or simple refusal to change & accept a higher harder standard. Please state your problems, but clarify the situation professionally & you'll be better recieved even supported.

I agree, we need to look at a program objectively to improve it.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

RogueLeader

Here's a topic that I started that might help with things.  Tell me what you think.
http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=1172.0
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

flyguy06

I am confused on a few things I am reading I must be in a totally differant Civil Air Patrol then the people on this board. I just got back fro a year tour in Iraq with my Guard unit. I wasnt transfered to any inactive Squadron. I stayed in my sqaudron. We have people on our membership roster that havent been to a meeting in years. They keep renewing their membership every year but are not active.

Also, From the year I have been reading this board. It seems that people think to be in CAP, you HAVE to be invovled in ES. There are many people that join CAP and have no interest in ES. They want to work woth youths or they want to study aerospace. Its NOT a requirement to be ES qualified to be in CAP. I read a post that said you join, go through officer training and get ASSIGNED an ES speicalty. What if you dont want one?

Again, from what I read, this is a differant organiation that I joined. and I have been in CAP since I ws 14 years old cntinuously.

lordmonar

In this case we are talking about the Iowa Wing consolidation plan.  The have moved to a wing centric system.  They are moving all the inactive people to a reserve squadron with a 000 charter number.

If you are not in Iowa, none of this applies to you.

Those of us not in Iowa are intrested in how this because we MAY see this system migrate to other wings.

QuoteAlso, From the year I have been reading this board. It seems that people think to be in CAP, you HAVE to be invovled in ES. There are many people that join CAP and have no interest in ES. They want to work woth youths or they want to study aerospace. Its NOT a requirement to be ES qualified to be in CAP. I read a post that said you join, go through officer training and get ASSIGNED an ES speicalty. What if you dont want one?

This is the only bad thing I can think of by using the Iowa plan.  However, a valid argument could be, that CAP is first and formost an ES organization.  AE and CP are important but are secondary to ES.  With that said, I understand that Iowa is addressing the CP problem and is taking steps to intragrate the CP into their wing centric operations.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

RogueLeader

One thing that I noticed is that the Iowa Plan is that we are searching hard to get missions- for all parts of the Wing.  As all should be able to tell, a Squadron with few ES qualified members, it is hard to get missions where there is little local ES presense.  Iowa Wing HQ is trying to correct that.  It makes sense, but again, there are some locally don't want it because they don't want ES.  It seems that Wing is going hard on them.  I understand why they are going in the fashion that they are, and again it makes sense for the stated objectives that IAWG has stated.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

flyguy06

Quote from: lordmonar on December 15, 2006, 03:45:53 PM
In this case we are talking about the Iowa Wing consolidation plan.  The have moved to a wing centric system.  They are moving all the inactive people to a reserve squadron with a 000 charter number.

If you are not in Iowa, none of this applies to you.

Those of us not in Iowa are intrested in how this because we MAY see this system migrate to other wings.

QuoteAlso, From the year I have been reading this board. It seems that people think to be in CAP, you HAVE to be invovled in ES. There are many people that join CAP and have no interest in ES. They want to work woth youths or they want to study aerospace. Its NOT a requirement to be ES qualified to be in CAP. I read a post that said you join, go through officer training and get ASSIGNED an ES speicalty. What if you dont want one?

This is the only bad thing I can think of by using the Iowa plan.  However, a valid argument could be, that CAP is first and formost an ES organization.  AE and CP are important but are secondary to ES.  With that said, I understand that Iowa is addressing the CP problem and is taking steps to intragrate the CP into their wing centric operations.

I would disagree that CAP is first and foremost an ES organization. Where did you get that from? When I took level 1 in 1990, they said that ALL three missions were on the same level. (The whole three bladed propellar thing) Again, I joined CAP because I was interested in becomming a pilot in the Air Force. I had no interetes in going to the woods. (ironically I ended up joining the Army in the Infantry and I basically lived in the woods).

I have 23 people in my Suadron. 2 are ES qualiied (me and another guy). Everyone else is here to fly or work with cadets. Although I am ES qualified. I am not active. My main concern is mentoring to youths. No I have to disagree that cadet programs are secondary missions. We spend a lot of money on National SPecialActivities, flight encampments Oshkosh and miliary Orientation rides in military aircraft.

RogueLeader

I thought flying, such as Mission Pilot, Observer, and Scanner, were ES Qualities.  Am I wrong?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

flyguy06

WHen I say flying I mean just flying. I know its wrong, but basically they use CAP as a flying cclub. They dont fly for ES. They get their Form 5 and then do "proficiency" flights. Its a way to get cheap flying time. I disgaree with it, but what can I do?