CAP members to get Army awards

Started by RiverAux, November 13, 2006, 11:29:35 PM

RiverAux

For those wondering about occassionally putting CAP members in for Air Force awards when appropriate:

From CAP News Online:
QuoteIowa Wing officers to receive rare honor from Army

5 recognized with Commander's Award for Public Service
November 13, 2006

IOWA -- The adjutant general of Iowa will present the Department of the Army Commander's Award for Public Service on Tuesday to the Iowa Wing's Col. Ralph Tomlinson, Lt. Col. Mike McCoy, Maj. John Halbrook, Maj. Doug Jansen and Capt. Roger Elliott.

Tomlinson will also be presented with the Department of the Army Outstanding Civilian Service Award. 

Maj. Gen. Ron Dardis, the adjutant general, will preside over the ceremony and CAP National Commander Maj. Gen. Antonio J. Pineda will participate.

The ceremony is believed to mark the first time these awards have been conferred upon CAP officers and the first time Army medals will be pinned on CAP chests since World War II.

The officers are being presented with thee awards because of their efforts and support of the re-organization of the Iowa Wing over the past two years.

MIKE

Even so, I don't think they can technically be worn on the CAP uniform.
Mike Johnston

BillB

If Maj Gen Pineda was there, you can bet your bippy the army awards can be worn.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Nick Critelli

Way to go Col Tomlinson, Lt Col McCoy, Maj Jansen, Maj Halbrook and Capt. Elliott.  Hoorah  :clap:

PS  I just dropped off Gen. Pineda at the hotel to get ready for the award banquet and asked him that question. Answer YES

Lamh Dearg

Outstanding, gentlemen!!

Congratulations!  :clap:

Pylon

Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

thefischNX01

Congratulations, sirs.  :clap:  If what I've heard about Iowa Wing is true, you more than deserve it.
Capt. Colin Fischer, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Easton Composite Sqdn
Maryland Wing
http://whats-a-flight-officer.blogspot.com/

MIKE

Quote from: BillB on November 14, 2006, 12:15:24 AM
If Maj Gen Pineda was there, you can bet your bippy the army awards can be worn.

Quote from: Nick Critelli, Lt Col CAP on November 14, 2006, 12:17:43 AM
PS  I just dropped off Gen. Pineda at the hotel to get ready for the award banquet and asked him that question. Answer YES

Figures... I'll go get some salt.  ::)
Mike Johnston

A.Member

Congrats to Col. Ralph Tomlinson, Lt. Col. Mike McCoy, Maj. John Halbrook, Maj. Doug Jansen and Capt. Roger Elliott. 
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

TDHenderson

Quote from: A.Member on November 14, 2006, 04:44:35 PM
Congrats to Col. Ralph Tomlinson, Lt. Col. Mike McCoy, Maj. John Halbrook, Maj. Doug Jansen and Capt. Roger Elliott. 

Congratulations to them as well!  I am very lucky to be a part of the Iowa Wing and to serve with these fine Officers. 

Nick Critelli

I've just returned from the award ceremony at the Joint Forces HQ.   This is a proud day for CAP.  Here are some of the comments that they made about CAP in awarding the medals (paraphrased)

--- These are awarded to "our brothers in CAP" for their dedication and professionalism in responding to emergencies.

---They  serve our community selflessly, without cost or thought of award.  

While the remarks were directed at the awardees, they were addressed to all in CAP.  CAP is an incredible asset to our communities. By working TOGETHER, in a POSITIVE manner, consistent with our core values we can move CAP into the future by building upon our heritage.  

NEBoom

Quote from: A.Member on November 14, 2006, 04:44:35 PM

Hear, Hear!!  Congratulation gentlemen from your Nebraska Wing friends!
Lt Col Dan Kirwan, CAP
Nebraska Wing

cyclone

From CAP News Online:
QuoteIowa Wing officers to receive rare honor from Army

5 recognized with Commander's Award for Public Service
November 13, 2006

IOWA -- The adjutant general of Iowa will present the Department of the Army Commander's Award for Public Service on Tuesday to the Iowa Wing's Col. Ralph Tomlinson, Lt. Col. Mike McCoy, Maj. John Halbrook, Maj. Doug Jansen and Capt. Roger Elliott.

Tomlinson will also be presented with the Department of the Army Outstanding Civilian Service Award. 

Maj. Gen. Ron Dardis, the adjutant general, will preside over the ceremony and CAP National Commander Maj. Gen. Antonio J. Pineda will participate.

The ceremony is believed to mark the first time these awards have been conferred upon CAP officers and the first time Army medals will be pinned on CAP chests since World War II.

The officers are being presented with thee awards because of their efforts and support of the re-organization of the Iowa Wing over the past two years.

So to move this to a more appropriate forum to avoid the 39-1 nazis and their debate....  (shoo, go away)

So what do you think about this?  Iowa Wing officers were presented with these medals by the Adjutant General of Iowa.  This was done in formation with the entire leadership of the Iowa National Guard and the CAP National Commander present. 

The Adjutant General refered to CAP as their "brothers."   

So what the heck did these Iowan's do to get this honor?  Ask questions and you will find out.

Also.  Maj Gen Pineda flew in to Iowa and was briefed for two days by the Wing Leadership, Iowa National Guard, and Iowa Homeland Security and Emergency Management Division on all of the things that are going on in Iowa.

DNall

Quote from: cyclone on November 15, 2006, 10:21:07 PM
So to move this to a more appropriate forum to avoid the 39-1 nazis and their debate....  (shoo, go away)
See, that's what I mean, good job!

I don't know that there's much to think about it. Oviously it's absolutely outstanding & the officers involved, as well as the unrecognized faces behind/beside them, deserve every bit of this. I hope this is a spring board to expanding what Iowa is doing to the rest of us (with some modification), which sounds promissing given the attention.

cyclone

Given Maj Gen Pineda's comments while in Iowa it would seem reasonable to assume that he would like us to help present what was done to other Wings for them to consider making similar strides.

Pylon

Quote from: cyclone on November 15, 2006, 10:21:07 PM

I split the original topic into two, with all posts dealing with congratulations for the awardees and talk of their merit here, and all the discussion on the validity of wearing Army awards on CAP uniforms in a separate discussion thread in the Uniforms section.

I also merged the two previously existing discussions congratulating the awardees ("CAP members to get Army Awards" and "Iowa Wing Recognized") into this one central discussion.

Carry on the discussions in the appropriate areas.  Thanks!  (And congrats again to the Iowa Wing team being recognized!)   :)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

DNall

Quote from: cyclone on November 15, 2006, 10:45:12 PM
Given Maj Gen Pineda's comments while in Iowa it would seem reasonable to assume that he would like us to help present what was done to other Wings for them to consider making similar strides.
I think that's a reasonable assumption, but I have to say that it seems very wierd to me. I aplaud what Iowa has done to fill the void at the top, but we took Wg patches off for a reason & I would hope this outstanding transformation isn't viewed as something each Wg should pursue individually, but rather something NHQ views as a possiblity to be implemented nationally... I've suggested before that the best vehicle for that would be via 1AF and thru them to the state AGs. That could work out awfully slick. As far as the facilities, I think most of us have access at least quarterly to facilities of that type, probably at the Group level, but at least at the Wg level. The funding & freedom to use it to offset transportation (travel per diem) for regular training purposes is another story. If you scale Iowa's funding up, on a geographical & membership quantity scale, to the rest of the country, that's just not a lot of money total. I think you could get a lot of that from the states if teh AG conf goes well, and I think AU would see the light on backing funding for the rest, plus providing enormous resources for training content. When they get to that content, I think we've tossed around some outstanding ideas to fill out the program. I look forward to seeing CAP develop along this path, and the officers in Iowa have my great appreciation for finally moving CAP in the direction it should be going. Any award along those lines is more than appropriate.

cyclone

Quote from: DNall on November 16, 2006, 08:45:37 PM
I'm not concerned with the wear policy in talking about the issue, but rather the status of the award as a spring board from which to seek broader recognition by the AF (and NG in this case) for our services - which has little to do with awards & lots to do with integration - AND, as a spring board to revising the Iowa model to a nationally adoptable system - such as under 1AF in the scenerio I mentioned. None of this has squat to do with if these very deserving individuals can or can't wear Army civil service/civilian decorations on CAP uniforms, I could care less to be honest.

I've heard you mention the idea of using 1AF as a horse to help derive similar benefits as the Iowa Model.  1AF has next to no active relationships with the States.  Their relationships with the State EMA / HLS agencies is pretty non-existent (at least as far as I've noticed).   The State EMA / HLS agencies are the ones with additional missions for us to do, not 1AF.

The reason that partnering with the National Guard (Air and Army) in Iowa was because they are plugged in to the State infrastructure and political scene.   1AF has no additional funds to throw CAP's way, but each state may.  The National Guard has state missions that we have a stake in and have a high probability of participating in.  These state missions are the secret to Iowa's success.  The National Guard is not necessarily generating all the missions Iowa is doing, but they have helped to improve the relationship with Iowa HLSEM so that CAP is thought of for more and more missions.  1AF... not so much.

For example I was involved in an Air Defense mission.   The event occured over the airspace of our state and the state authorities and National Guard had no clue that it was even happening.  Not a great way for 1AF to foster positive relationships with the State authorities.

Anyway, I respectfully disagree about riding on 1AF to do much good for the CAP Wings locally.   However, I'd gladly take whatever missions they want to throw our way whenever those infrequently occur.

RiverAux

CAP could have more missions than we could handle if we were better plugged in at the county and state levels.  I agree that the AF has very little else that they could have us do.   Luckily, one of the stated missions of CAP is to provide emergency assistance at the local level.

fyrfitrmedic

Quote from: RiverAux on November 17, 2006, 01:24:13 AM
CAP could have more missions than we could handle if we were better plugged in at the county and state levels.  I agree that the AF has very little else that they could have us do.   Luckily, one of the stated missions of CAP is to provide emergency assistance at the local level.

Very true - IMHO the wings need to step up in order to make these happen.
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn