Naval Work Uniform approved for off-base wear

Started by Eclipse, June 29, 2009, 06:05:31 AM

Eclipse

This is only relevant to CAP in the general "information about military uniforms" sense, but I didn't realize it was "on base" only.

http://www.navy.mil/search/display.asp?story_id=46524

I've only seen it at Great Lakes a hand full of times.

Much more common these days is the new "service uniform"...

...which will phase out the winter blues and summer whites at the end of next year.
More photos and details here:
http://www.npc.navy.mil/CommandSupport/USNavyUniforms/uniform_photos.htm

For those that comment about CAP's pace regarding uniform changes, they have been wear-testing these since before 2004.

"That Others May Zoom"

AlphaSigOU

So no more 'crackerjacks' in the issue seabag?
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

SarDragon

Not true. This abomination replaces the Navy equivalents of the service uniforms - shirt and trousers, w/ or w/o tie, but no coat, or medals. It's for clean working areas (offices, etc.). It's seen all over the Sandy Eggo area, and I'm glad I don't have to wear it.

YMMV.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

O-Rex

The cammies in "Battleship Camo" are a little funky, but the service uniform doesn't look bad: kind of a mix btwn officer/CPO working khaki's and the old Zumwalt-era "Salt & Peppers."

Stonewall

I think the khaki shirt, black pants combo looks better than the Cracker Jack outfit, but somehow I have yet to see a sailor who was capable of wearing it without looking like it was just pulled out of the laundry basket.

I know there are sharp sailors out there, but I think the Navy are used to throwing on a uniform that just sort of hangs there.  Whereas now they have to keep it tucked in with a military tuck and their gut sucked in.

Wearing a uniform requires you to pay attention to your posture which requires contant monitoring.  Lazy people look bad in uniform no matter how good the uniform looks otherwise.
Serving since 1987.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Stonewall on June 29, 2009, 12:28:23 PM
...without looking like it was just pulled out of the laundry basket.

Wouldn't that be a seabag?  i.e. "Hey Cadet, what'd you do, just pull your uniform out of your seabag?"  :D

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

O-Rex

Quote from: Stonewall on June 29, 2009, 12:28:23 PM
I think the khaki shirt, black pants combo looks better than the Cracker Jack outfit, but somehow I have yet to see a sailor who was capable of wearing it without looking like it was just pulled out of the laundry basket.

I know there are sharp sailors out there, but I think the Navy are used to throwing on a uniform that just sort of hangs there.  Whereas now they have to keep it tucked in with a military tuck and their gut sucked in.

Wearing a uniform requires you to pay attention to your posture which requires contant monitoring.  Lazy people look bad in uniform no matter how good the uniform looks otherwise.

Actually it doesn't replace the cracker-jacks: it replaces the summer short-sleve whites and the black long-sleeve 'Johnny Cash' uni with tie.

The cracker-jack is still the "Ceremonial Dress Uniform" for Navy E-6 and below. 

All in all, it's a good move for sailors-the whites are only good for one wearing before they have to go back to the cleaners, pin-on collar rank beats the heck out of sew-on for promotions and it's good that they are getting a functional work uniform, the image of which they don't have to share with prison inmates.

I wonder if they are still issued the wool "Pea Coat:" those are pretty nice...

SarDragon

Yes, the pea coat is still part of the sea bag. They are lighter weight now than back in the day (a Tuesday) from my time in boot camp. Still have mine, but it's a little snug now.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

DBlair

Wow... can the Navy possibly try to copy the Marine Corps uniforms any further? I'm not trying to take any shots at the Navy, but this is an obvious attempt to copy the Marines.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

SarDragon

It is functional, and wearable summer and winter, points on the plus side, but it is also ugly, and confusing to some folks.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

DC

Quote from: DBlair on June 29, 2009, 07:15:53 PM
Wow... can the Navy possibly try to copy the Marine Corps uniforms any further? I'm not trying to take any shots at the Navy, but this is an obvious attempt to copy the Marines.
How so, other than the digital pattern, which the Army and Air Force are also now using. The cut of the uniform is similar to BDUs, without the slanted pockets or other features of the MARPAT uniforms.

JC004

What is with the different colors of letters on the branch and name tapes?!  Way to go Eclipse...now the NB is going to have a new idea for September!   :-X

pixelwonk

Quote from: JC004 on June 29, 2009, 08:16:35 PM
What is with the different colors of letters on the branch and name tapes?!  Way to go Eclipse...now the NB is going to have a new idea for September!   :-X
Although I ought to stay in my lane, I'm gonna venture a guess that the gold is for Chiefs and officers.  Silver for everyone else.

notaNCO forever

The work uniform is about one of the ugliest things I have ever seen. I'm glad I'm not going into the Navy.

SarDragon

Quote from: tedda on June 29, 2009, 08:26:46 PM
Quote from: JC004 on June 29, 2009, 08:16:35 PM
Although I ought to stay in my lane, I'm gonna venture a guess that the gold is for Chiefs and officers.  Silver for everyone else.

Correct-a-mundo.  8)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

MIKE

Quote from: notaNCO forever on June 29, 2009, 08:27:10 PM
The work uniform is about one of the ugliest things I have ever seen. I'm glad I'm not going into the Navy.

Because the uniform is one of the most important factors in choosing the appropriate branch in which to serve.[/sarcasm]
Mike Johnston

Al Sayre

FWIW the Marine Corps is part of the Navy...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: Al Sayre on June 29, 2009, 08:33:05 PMFWIW the Marine Corps is part of the Navy...

Though 'The Mean Green Machine' will stongly hint otherwise...
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Hawk200

Quote from: notaNCO forever on June 29, 2009, 08:27:10 PM

Most people don't understand the purpose. The pattern was designed to hide dirt, grease and paint. Not meant to hide the wearer. Read the links for the Navy website on it, they actually state this.

DBlair

Quote from: DC on June 29, 2009, 08:14:51 PM
How so, other than the digital pattern, which the Army and Air Force are also now using. The cut of the uniform is similar to BDUs, without the slanted pockets or other features of the MARPAT uniforms.

The utilities are a copy in many ways such as style of the digital pattern (much closer to the MC than the other branches), the 8 point cover, and the Navy logo on the pocket where the Marines have the EGA. The service uniform is the exact Marine uniform, but with black instead of OD green.

Copying aside, I think the Navy should have stayed with the all-khaki (trousers & shirt) service uniform- or maybe just have gone with a black trouser/white shirt uniform which would be in line with their class A service coat, unless they changed that too. Likewise, they could have just stayed with the blue BDU utility uniform.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander