Drill Instruction Resources

Started by stratoflyer, March 24, 2009, 03:40:11 AM

stratoflyer

I've looked that AF D&C manual. I've looked at the AFJROTC resources. But I need more to make sure my cadets are learning drill the RIGHT way. I find myself teaching them some stuff and getting some questions and getting stuck myself on the answer.

I tried getting some Phase IV cadets (former drill team member) to come over to my squadron to teach, but were unavailable. (AP classes and stuff)
"To infinity, and beyond!"

Eduardo Rodriguez, 2LT, CAP

IceNine

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

stratoflyer

<-NOT SO->

They sometimes teach stuff wrong there too.

IceNine

Go to a different encampment.

We're having one in Illinois next month I can personally guarantee that the drill will be "up to par"

Otherwise, try

Cadetstuff.org

the only things that are hard to learn/teach are counter columns, and a lot of the ceremonial stuff.

What do you think you are getting wrong?

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

IceNine

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

DBlair

Quote from: stratoflyer on March 24, 2009, 03:40:11 AM
I've looked that AF D&C manual. I've looked at the AFJROTC resources. But I need more to make sure my cadets are learning drill the RIGHT way. I find myself teaching them some stuff and getting some questions and getting stuck myself on the answer.

I tried getting some Phase IV cadets (former drill team member) to come over to my squadron to teach, but were unavailable. (AP classes and stuff)

According to your profile, you are in Miami and so I figured I'd mention this to you. My unit (in Tampa) may be holding some sort (still early in planning stages) of weekend event focusing on drill and other basic skills and knowledge for new Cadets.

Another option is that I do come down to Miami/South Florida quite often and would certainly be willing to help train your Cadets in drill and so forth. I'm a former member of NJ Wing's NCC Drill Team from the 1990s (the team that won the NCC a bunch of times)- let me know if I can be of help.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

SaBeR33

Quote from: stratoflyer on March 24, 2009, 04:19:21 AM
<-NOT SO->

They sometimes teach stuff wrong there too.

Boy, oh boy, is THAT ever the truth! I saw sooooo many things at encampment not being done according to the D&C manual that I was constantly shaking my head in disbelief. I brought many of the infractions to the attention of the C/Squadron CCs & Flight CCs, whom I was assigned to as a TAC at two separate encampments, who did their best to ensure their squadrons/flights wouldn't make the same mistakes. How well it took I have no idea since I don't recall seeing too many of the cadets I worked with after the encampments. Why aren't the standard D&C requirements being followed to the letter at encampment? When so many cadets return and attempt to implement the same erroneous methods at the squadron level and then use the excuse "That's the way I was taught at encampment," when I ask why they're doing things a certain way, that makes my blood boil.  >:(

jimmydeanno

Did your squadron receive one of the drill instructional DVDs from NHQ?  Those are pretty good for basic drill.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

notaNCO forever

Quote from: IceNine on March 24, 2009, 04:26:53 AM

the only things that are hard to learn/teach are counter columns, and a lot of the ceremonial stuff.

Counter columns isn't in the AF drill manual. As for learning from the AFJROTC; when I was helping judge one of the schools they were using the Army and not the Air force drill manual.

Pylon

Quote from: jimmydeanno on March 24, 2009, 03:09:14 PM
Did your squadron receive one of the drill instructional DVDs from NHQ?  Those are pretty good for basic drill.

+1
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

DBlair

Quote from: Pylon on March 24, 2009, 03:18:42 PM

+1

I saw a few segments from the DVD and I agree it does break things down pretty well.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

stratoflyer

Thanks for the suggestions and not just saying GO TO ENCAMPMENT.

We did get a copy of the DVD and looked at a portion. It was excellent! However, I understand that the color guard portion is not to be used with CAP as ours is different. And also, I didn't see if they show how to do more advanced drill like change step and columns. I think they only cover the basics.

I just took our copy with me home last night. I'm going to watch it in detail.

The other problem is that if I have a specific issue that I'd address here, to properly explain it, it would take paragraphs. But we'll see. I hope to keep this thread going for a long time.

IceNine

WHAT?!?!  No I didn't even know this existed.  Who do I need to "sleep" with to get one?  Is this a Lafond deal?

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

stratoflyer

You can call Air University directly and request a copy. They'll sell it to you.

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: IceNine on March 25, 2009, 04:06:19 AM

WHAT?!?!  No I didn't even know this existed.  Who do I need to "sleep" with to get one?  Is this a Lafond deal?

The 328th got two in the mail at the end of last year. Received a letter with them stating they were available
(being sent) to all Cadet and Composite Squadrons. Check and see if the other squadrons in the group received them. Been a very handy tool for my new cadets.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

jimmydeanno

Quote from: IceNine on March 25, 2009, 04:06:19 AM

They were sent to every squadron with a few copies of the new Cadet Staff Guide about 6 months ago.  NHQ has many copies and would probably be willing to part with one, assuming it was for your squadron.  I don't think they want to get in the business of providing them to individual members.

However, I have a feeling that most/many of them did go into people's personal collections.  Good resource though.  It's a MTI centered on the screen that goes step by step through basic drill maneuvers.  My cadet staff thought it was good.  It have them a good idea on how to break down the instruction and gave a 'proper' translation of the manual in the confusing parts.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

stratoflyer

I always thought that a video program teaching drill distributed would be good for CAP. Anyone out there use the JROTC slides/workbook?That's more for vocab and the like.

I'm gonna watch the drill dvd right now after I hit the post button.