Letter to Parents

Started by jimmydeanno, March 13, 2009, 07:54:41 PM

jimmydeanno

I'm just wondering if anyone has an example letter to parents that is used for something like announcing a new Squadron Commander or DCC.  Something along the lines of "Hi Parents, I'm the new DCC, cadets are awesome, our squadron is going to stay awesome and here's how."

Does anyone still do snail mail letters for things like this or do you just assume that the information is passed along through the cadet?

I'm getting ready to send out a mailing to our cadets parents that says, "By the way, I took over as DCC about a month ago." as well as include an invitation to a parents Q&A session, encampment information flyer, glider academy flyer and a description of how our revamped O-Flight program will work this year.

Does anyone or has anyone done this? I'm doing it because our squadron has been rather poor at keeping our parents involved with the squadron and I want to reverse that.  I think that something in the mail from us (as opposed to the frequent e-mails) will induce the shock value I want to get them to come to the parents Q&A session.

Thoughts?
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

DC

We have never done anything like that in my squadron, but I think it is an excellent idea if you are looking to get their attention, and seperate your message from the normal stuff they likely don't care about that goes across Yahoo! or other mass-mailing groups..

I think keeping parents in the loop is a good idea, but don't overdo it. In my experience I have found that most of them don't care about the minutia of running O-Rides, or how the squadron mentoring program works, but do like to know who is keeping their kids safe for 3 hours a week, and how thier kid is doing in the program. Notifying them directly of upcoming activities is also a good idea, as I have known many cadets to forget to tell them, or lose the flyers that get sent home with them..

Ned

I like keeping the parents in the loop, too.

One good reason for doing so is that it lets parents know what legitimate CAP activities are on the calendar.

Although it would never happen in your squadron, I'm sure, I've heard of cadets sort of getting together on their own for "CAP activities" without the benefit of senior supervision.  This let's the folks know what's going on -- AND gives them  phone numbers of the senior staff in case they need to chat.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: DC on March 13, 2009, 08:24:19 PM
In my experience I have found that most of them don't care about the minutia of running O-Rides

While I agree with you for the most part on this, I decided to include this item because we are having a radical change in how we do the scheduling, notification, etc.  It also has like the top 10 most frequently asked questions I get about O'Flights (what to wear, are the planes safe, do the pilots know what they're doing), etc.  Also, we have many new cadets who have never been on an O'Flight that might like to know how the 'selection' and scheduling process happens.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

NEBoom

Quote from: jimmydeanno on March 13, 2009, 07:54:41 PM
<snip>
I'm getting ready to send out a mailing to our cadets parents that says, "By the way, I took over as DCC about a month ago." as well as include an invitation to a parents Q&A session, encampment information flyer, glider academy flyer and a description of how our revamped O-Flight program will work this year.

Does anyone or has anyone done this? I'm doing it because our squadron has been rather poor at keeping our parents involved with the squadron and I want to reverse that.  I think that something in the mail from us (as opposed to the frequent e-mails) will induce the shock value I want to get them to come to the parents Q&A session.

Thoughts?

FWIW, I think this is a fine idea.  And I'd go ahead and "snail mail" it direct to the parents.  That you put the effort in to making sure they got the message directly should send a message in itself.

It's always a hard thing keeping parents "in the loop" as it's another thing to worry about on top of all we normally handle, and usually falls through the cracks.  But given some past experiences of mine, I'd say it's something we should put more emphasis on.

Good luck!
Lt Col Dan Kirwan, CAP
Nebraska Wing

Hawk200

Quote from: jimmydeanno on March 13, 2009, 09:28:38 PM
Also, we have many new cadets who have never been on an O'Flight that might like to know how the 'selection' and scheduling process happens.

Little confused by the term "selection". Can you elaborate?

jimmydeanno

We have a back log of cadets who have never had an orientation flight before.  For the time being we are giving preference to those cadets instead of cadets who have 3 or 4 or some within the last few months.

LtCol057

Actually, the CPPT requires that a letter be sent to all parents each quarter listing the members that work with the cadets.

I was trying to send a quarterly calendar direct to the parents to keep them informed.  Everytime I gave them to the cadets to take home, I found most of them left on the tables.

davidsinn

Quote from: LtCol057 on March 15, 2009, 03:29:08 AM
Actually, the CPPT requires that a letter be sent to all parents each quarter listing the members that work with the cadets.

I was trying to send a quarterly calendar direct to the parents to keep them informed.  Everytime I gave them to the cadets to take home, I found most of them left on the tables.

Excuse me sir, but where does it say that a roster must be sent quarterly?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Eeyore

^ Yeah, I've never heard that one either...

SarDragon

The text string "quarter" appears exactly once in CAPR 52-10 - in the letterhead as a part of the word "HEADQUARTERS".

Para 4.j. does say:
Mail parents a current roster of members who supervise or conduct cadet activities.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

davidsinn

Quote from: SarDragon on March 15, 2009, 09:26:08 PM
The text string "quarter" appears exactly once in CAPR 52-10 - in the letterhead as a part of the word "HEADQUARTERS".

Para 4.j. does say:
Mail parents a current roster of members who supervise or conduct cadet activities.

That's something my unit is deficient in and I intend to correct in the very near future. For us it's a simple matter of sending a unit roster as we are very small and all of the seniors support the cadet program.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Stonewall

Was at ANG drill this weekend and didn't have access to my files.

Yes, I still use snail mail for "shock and awe" value. 

I have attached three documents, the first being a letter I sent out to cadets when I assumed command of my squadron in 2003.  I didn't really announce that I was the new commander, I just sent it out and at the bottom was my signature block.

Second is a letter I'd mail to members who had been absent for a while or left under the previous regime and didn't get word that a new sheriff was in town.

Finally, something that NIN came up with and I adopted, the "Parent's Cheat Sheet".  I've posted it before, but recently updated it and am using it again as a new DCC.

Use, plagiarise, abuse and edit as necessary.
Serving since 1987.

Eclipse

That cheat sheet is really good...

"That Others May Zoom"

Always Ready

Great work Stonewall. Looks like I'm going to be doing a little plagiarizing tonight ;)

Al Sayre

Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

LtCol057

I made an error in saying the regs now say "quarterly".  It was in an older version, but was changed.  Before anyone starts wanting cites, I don't have the exact reg.

And for Stonewall, I sent a version of your parent's cheat sheet out a couple months ago, got some good comments.  Need to send out some more for new cadets. Thanks!

Hawk200

Quote from: jimmydeanno on March 14, 2009, 01:58:45 PM
We have a back log of cadets who have never had an orientation flight before.  For the time being we are giving preference to those cadets instead of cadets who have 3 or 4 or some within the last few months.

Thank you. Was a little puzzled.

jimmydeanno

This is what I ended up with.  Short and to the point. 

Also included in the packet was the encampment flyer, glider academy flyer, o-flight program information and my business card.

It's been almost two months since I was appointed as DCC for the squadron and the old DCC keeps getting inquiries from parents about their cadets progress, etc.  I hope this gets the communication flowing in the right direction.

There's a lot of work to do to get our program healthy again and I think a key part of that is engaging our parents in what is going on, their cadets progress, etc.

gistek

Stonewall, May I please have permission to add a generic version your cheat sheet to the April 09 issue of the group newsletter that I publish?

This newsletter goes out to about 250 members and supporters every month and the master .pub is sent to our Wing, Region, and National PAO contacts.

Thank you very much.

Stonewall

Quote from: gistek on March 19, 2009, 04:27:06 PM
Stonewall, May I please have permission to add a generic version your cheat sheet to the April 09 issue of the group newsletter that I publish?

If you ever see an attachment from me posted on this site, you may use it and abuse it.  What's mine is yours.
Serving since 1987.