Disabled

Started by Daniel, February 23, 2009, 03:55:35 AM

Daniel

Just outta curosity what exceptions would you make for a cadet with Cerebal Palsy.. No mental issues, just trouble with the left arm and left leg. has to wear a leg brace?
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Wright Brothers No. 12670
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

Stonewall

Whatever he can do, he does. 

No big deal.  I've seen cadets in wheelchairs, blind, deaf...  Whatever he needs to succeed and be a part of the program and most importantly, have fun. 

I'm sure there's a reg that covers this stuff, but to me it's a no brainer. 

There may be obvious limitations like not being able to go on ground searches.
Serving since 1987.

Daniel

would you make him radio coms?
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Wright Brothers No. 12670
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

Stonewall

Quote from: Daniel L on February 23, 2009, 04:00:13 AM
would you make him radio coms?

I wouldn't make him do anything.  If he wanted to do comms and met the qualifications, sure.  Why not?  All you need is a hand and voice.
Serving since 1987.

A.Member

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

IceNine

No exceptions.  Except for CPFT.

I would have them participate as fully as possible, and not treat them "special".  A good majority of those with disabilities don't want any special treatment especially where it can be avoided.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

lordmonar

Quote from: IceNine on February 23, 2009, 04:41:29 AM

I would have them participate as fully as possible, and not treat them "special".  A good majority of those with disabilities don't want any special treatment especially where it can be avoided.

I don't really think you mean that.

"No expections"....why give them a pass for PT and not one for marching?
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

arajca

I wouldn't give them an automatic pass on marching. First thing would be to see how they do. Then, if necessary, give them a pass on marching. CPFT has exceptions built in. What I have done is have the cadet's doctor tell us in writing what their limitations are. If the cadet wants to attempt the CPFT even if they are excepted, let them.

PlaneFlyr

I've known several disabled people in CAP; wheelchair bound, blind, chronologically advanced, etc.  All of them were happy to find a organization that would accept them as they are and treat them with respect.  None wanted any special treatment (unless absolutely necessary).  All gave a great deal back to CAP, and have been great assets to our organization.  A side benefit is that they provide inspiration to others. 

I'd recommend any commanders that have a disabled person join, sit down with the person and find out what they would like to do, what background they have that will help CAP, and what challenges they foresee, along with what you can do to help them reach their goals. 

Actually... you commanders should already be doing this with every new/prospective member.  Even "normal" people have challenges (work, family, education, time, etc.) that you should identify early to make sure where to best place this person in your unit so we can all help each other best.

I'm always happy to have anyone join that's willing to dedicate part of themselves to the group.
Lt Col Todd Engelman, CAP
Historian
President of the Medal of Valor Association

jimmydeanno

I think that people with disabilities that join our organization bring a lot to the table.  In another thread, I mentioned that we had a cadet go to encampment that was partially retarded and epileptic.  Not only did the experience give him a huge boost, but he served as a motivator to the 'normal' cadets who were just spoiled and took everything for granted.  He even went down the rappel tower.

I've served with people who are deaf, blind, wheel-chair bound, mute, burned, diseased, and just generally sick and they have all made great contributions to our organization. 

While they might not be able to do everything, I'm sure you'll find that the majority don't use their disability as a crutch.  They typically teach me a few things about perseverance, determination and personal achievement.

I'll accept anyone that is willing to do their best to do whatever they can to help.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Rotorhead

Quote from: PlaneFlyr on February 23, 2009, 02:26:01 PM
chronologically advanced,
And another unnecessary euphemism rears its ugly head...
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

winterg

But accurately descriptive!  ;D

PlaneFlyr

Lt Col Todd Engelman, CAP
Historian
President of the Medal of Valor Association

IceNine

Quote from: lordmonar on February 23, 2009, 05:31:10 AM
Quote from: IceNine on February 23, 2009, 04:41:29 AM

I don't really think you mean that.

"No expections"....why give them a pass for PT and not one for marching?

Sure I do.  It's not my place as a commander to make exceptions simply because I see that a cadet has some disability.  The way I take the OP is that the unit is attempting you pre-plan the level of activity that the cadet can handle which is in no way our place.

The cadet/parents will tell you what exceptions are necessary, I would never tell a cadet what they are incapable of.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Grumpy

Quote from: Rotorhead on February 23, 2009, 02:36:26 PM

Old fart comes to mind.   ;D

winterg

Quote from: Grumpy on February 23, 2009, 06:25:20 PM
Quote from: Rotorhead on February 23, 2009, 02:36:26 PM

Old fart comes to mind.   ;D

Pubescently challenged?