Review Board Scheduling

Started by Eeyore, February 11, 2009, 08:02:51 AM

Eeyore

I am the new Squadron DCC for our Sq and I am completely overhauling the Cadet Program here. I think I have a good handle on everything except for one, finding the time to do everything I'd like to do.

I would like to start doing review boards but can't seem to find a logical place for them.

When do your squadrons hold review boards? What night do they typically occur on?

I'd like them to be in blues when they do the review boards, which is currently during our testing night. I think I may have to change the uniform schedule around as I don't see how we can test, do review boards and promote all on one night.

Thanks for any insight.

lordmonar

Consider not doing face to face boards.

The board can meet with the cadets records and discuss his/her suitabilty for promotion.

Think about what you are really trying to accomplish with the review board?

-If he does not know a AE quesiton...can you hold him back?  Not according to 52-16.
-If he does not know a leadership question...can you hold him back? Again, not according to 52-16.

Yes face to face boards do give the cadet some interview skills that may be usefull later in life....it it is not really part of the cadet program.

I would suggest dumping them all together and just have your senior cadets, your squadron CC and you meet and decide if he/she is ready for promotion. 
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eeyore

I would not be holding them back based on answers during the review board. A lot of our cadets are fairly timid and lack self confidence and the ability to think on their feet well, beyond just the classes that we have/will be having on public speaking and such, I would like to instill some self confidence in the cadets through active review boards.

The higher ranking cadets have just been able to get by because of a lack of proper senior leadership and do not have the confidence to compete with cadets wing-wide or nationally. The lower ranking cadets need to develop as they promote. I'd like to get them to start thinking on their feet by asking them questions that are not AE or Leadership program based (which isn't even allowed in the regs), but to get them thinking long term goals, big picture ideas and problem solving while under pressure through thought provoking questions during a review board.

Through the course of the review board process on an going basis, the cadet can start gaining confidence through practice, as well as learning to understand big picture goals and problem solving while under pressure. The more you do the better you get.

I want to develop these cadets and motivate them to better themselves, not take time to regurgitate what they have already proved they know during their test.

DC

I highly recommend doing review boards, pretty much for the reasons you stated. It can be a big confidence builder over time, and cadets learn to think on their feet, not just recite rote memorization.

My squadron does them toward the end of the 3rd meeting of the month, after Moral Leadership. The majority of the cadets go outside for flight time, and the few cadets going before the board wait in the hall and are called in one at a time.

The first few are typically pretty simple, and don't usually take more than two or three minutes. Around the time that cadets are going for C/SrA we start expecting more from them, and that continues as the cadet progress through the program.

Also don't forget about Form 50s, which are required by 52-16 to be done on each cadet going before a board, and are also a great way to get a feel for how the cadet is performing in the eyes of their evaluator. In my squadron the Flight Commanders do the evaluations and feedback discussions, under the guidance of the DCC. This allows the board, which is mainly composed of Senior Members, to see how the cadet is performing in the opinion of the Cadet Officer responsible for them..

jimmydeanno

This is what I do for our performance review boards. 

The cadets do achievement testing and the CPFT on the first meeting of every month.  This gives us a pretty good idea of who will be promotion eligible by the end of the month.

Based on who completes the requirements, the cadet staff prepares CAPF 50s for each cadet between the first and second week of the month, making a determination of promotion eligiblity before the board even starts (since you should know your cadets.)

The second week of the month we try to get all of them out of the way if possible.  The cadet staff member responsible for the direct supervision, the cadet commander and one of the cadet program senior staff sit in on the board.

We review their CAPF 50, talk about things that we think they do well, things they could improve on and things that we think might be detremental to their future promotions.  We talk about things like putting themselves in situations where they might not be comfortable (i.e. introvert teaching classes, etc).  We also talk about their goals, ask if they plan on applying for encampment staff and offer pointers to get them where they want to go.

If we don't have enough time on the second week, we schedule some for the third week.

Both the second and third weeks for us are BDUs, so they conduct their reviews in BDUs. 

Fourth week is promotions.

This has worked well for us because it provides ample time for the cadets to get their reviews, enough time for us to get our administrative items out of the way and enough time for the cadets to let their parents know they're going to be promoted if they want to watch.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

A.Member

We allow review boards on most meeting nights (there are occasions when we have activities that don't allow for boards).  When a cadet completes their requirements for a given rank, they request a board prior to the meeting (typically a week or so in advance).  While boards are available most meeting nights, typically they only occur one or two meetings per month, although we may hold several in one evening (depending on the rank, they typically last about 15 minutes).  When held, boards occur during the first hour of the meeting.   Feedback is then provided to the CC so that, in most cases, promotions can occur during Commander's Call at the close of the meeting.

Our boards consist of 4 members.  At least 1 senior member and 3 cadet leaders sit on the boards for NCO and lower.   For Mitchell and above at least 2 senior members sit on the board.   And for our highest ranking officers 3 seniors may sit on the board.  We work to rotate board members.  This serves a couple purposes:
1.  It allows the senior members and cadets to interact and get to know each other a bit (adds to esprit de corps)
2.  It prevents cadets from being able to "play" a board (ie. they are likely to get different questions and perspectives).

Boards are great for cadets for a couple other reasons:
1.  It allows them the opportunity to prepare themselves for an interview type situation.   This is a valuable skill that permeates beyond CAP and into the "real" world.  Preparation and critical thinking are lessons learned.
2.  It presents board members with the opportunity to learn how to interiew, another valuable skill that goes beyond CAP.
3.  It provides for some objectivity in the performance evaluation and feedback.  This helps ensure that they've earned the position.
4.  It builds confidence.  Initial boards are "easier" but expectations progressively increase with each acheivement. 

Also keep in mind that in most cases, say 90+% of the time, cadets should pass the board.  Cadet leaders should not place a cadet in front of a board unless they are truly prepared to move to the next rank.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

jimmydeanno

^I would disagree with your last statement of not placing a cadet in front of a review unless they're almost surely going to pass.

I think that it is just as important to have a review board for cadets that are not ready.  Perhaps your board serves a different purpose, but we provide feedback and review of the cadet performance during their promotion period. 

If they aren't doing well, or need some time in grade, I think we owe it to them to explain why, talk about solutions, etc.

But, I've found that when good counseling, mentoring, etc is in place - the number of "failures" decreases dramatically and 90+ % of the cadets pass first go round anyway.

Forgot to mention that feedback is required for disapproved promotions.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

A.Member

Quote from: jimmydeanno on February 11, 2009, 03:37:25 PM
But, I've found that when good counseling, mentoring, etc is in place - the number of "failures" decreases dramatically and 90+ % of the cadets pass first go round anyway.

Forgot to mention that feedback is required for disapproved promotions.
Correct.  Our approach is that a cadet's progression is evaluated on an on-going basis and providing coaching and feedback throughout by their flight sergeants/flight commanders/etc.   As a result, more often than not areas for improvement are addressed prior to reaching a board.   Again, that doesn't mean everyone passes - they certainly don't.  But the majority will.  Again, part of our objective is to build confidence.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."