Suggestions Please

Started by NC Hokie, January 30, 2009, 06:08:03 PM

NC Hokie

My squadron has adopted a modified version of the suggested quarterly schedule found in CAPR 52-16.  Things are running fairly smoothly now but I'm still having difficulty with the leadership portion of the core curriculum.

The problem is that the current curriculum doesn't work well with a relatively small (12-15) group of cadets spanning multiple achievement levels.  I know that NHQ is working on a revamped leadership curriculum that addresses this, but that doesn't help me now.  Until that goes live, what suggestions can you offer?
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

DC

Quote from: NC Hokie on January 30, 2009, 06:08:03 PM
My squadron has adopted a modified version of the suggested quarterly schedule found in CAPR 52-16.  Things are running fairly smoothly now but I'm still having difficulty with the leadership portion of the core curriculum.

The problem is that the current curriculum doesn't work well with a relatively small (12-15) group of cadets spanning multiple achievement levels.  I know that NHQ is working on a revamped leadership curriculum that addresses this, but that doesn't help me now.  Until that goes live, what suggestions can you offer?
My squadron has typically taken the standard curriculum from L2K and expanded upon it. You will have to find a balance between your newer cadets and the older ones. Make sure that your cadet staff is teaching the classes though, as that is part of their upper level training.

Another thing that has gone over great in my squadron is to use practical leadership activities. You can find a whole slew of them online, ranging from physically intense and dirty, to things you can do in blues in a classroom setting. They are lots of fun, challenging, and with proper discussion afterwards the cadets seem to really learn a lot from them.

You can also raid CadetStuff, there are tons of great articles on there that can be turned into a pretty good leadership class.

Also never forget that the entire cadet program is one big leadership lab, so don't think that leadership training is confined to that one hour a month or so..

You can also try and get a guest speaker to come by every once and a while to speak to the cadets. If there is anyone in your area that might have a good lesson for the cadets.

Pylon

We use the leadership time in our quarterly schedule to do things like group leadership exercises, guest speakers or talks about individual leaders, or working on skills useful for leaders: public speaking, goal setting, etc. 

We don't have classes on "Leadership textbook Chapter 4" or any of the specific leadership chapters in the book.  Sometimes we may touch on topics in those chapters, but we don't set up our leadership classes to teach what's in the book.  The cadets are expected to read the appropriate chapters on their own time and test when they're ready.  If a cadet is taking particularly long time on one achievement or fails a test more than once, we can pick that up easily in SIMS and make sure he or she gets some assistance.  But by and large, the cadets -- especially once past the first couple of achievements -- don't need someone to hold their hand through each leadership chapter.  It frees us up to teach other, more important stuff.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

NC Hokie

Quote from: Pylon on January 30, 2009, 06:30:49 PM
But by and large, the cadets -- especially once past the first couple of achievements -- don't need someone to hold their hand through each leadership chapter.

I have no issue with that whatsoever...that's how we approach AE; the cadets are responsible for their modules and the staff is able to draw from a wealth of material readily available for group activities (AEX, model rocketry program, etc.).  Unfortunately, I have yet to find such supplemental material for the leadership portion of the cadet program.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

DC

Quote from: NC Hokie on January 30, 2009, 06:42:43 PM
Quote from: Pylon on January 30, 2009, 06:30:49 PM
But by and large, the cadets -- especially once past the first couple of achievements -- don't need someone to hold their hand through each leadership chapter.

I have no issue with that whatsoever...that's how we approach AE; the cadets are responsible for their modules and the staff is able to draw from a wealth of material readily available for group activities (AEX, model rocketry program, etc.).  Unfortunately, I have yet to find such supplemental material for the leadership portion of the cadet program.
I believe they are working on a Leadership equivalent to the AEX program, but I have no idea when it is expected to arrive..

Think outside the box, and there is a ton of stuff you can do beyond the textbook.