CPFT performance

Started by Dutchboy, January 29, 2009, 02:18:10 AM

Dutchboy

In what way can CPFT's be brought up in a Review board (other than passing the test). Are you allowed to force them to progress in a CPFT in anyway, and if they fail to do so can it be held against them?

jimmydeanno

Quote from: messofficer on January 29, 2009, 02:18:10 AM
In what way can CPFT's be brought up in a Review board (other than passing the test). Are you allowed to force them to progress in a CPFT in anyway, and if they fail to do so can it be held against them?

Put poor CPFT on the cadet's CAPF 50 as one of the things that "the leader identified areas for the cadet to improve."  Not sure what you mean by "forcing them to progress."  Either they pass the test or they don't.  They can't promote without passing it - so yes, it is held against them.

I suppose if you want to be extreme, you could cite the failure to progress clause for membership termination...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Pylon

Not sure where you're going with this.

If a cadet passes the CPFT for their gender, age and achievement level then they've met the prescribed standard.  There should be no issue.  As the cadet gets older and advances in rank, the CPFT standards already get more difficult; so the cadet is held to an increasing standard as they move through the program.  So again, if they are passing the CPFT for their next achievement, there should be no issue.

If a cadet does not pass the CPFT for their gender, age and achievement level then they cannot be promoted, thus why would they be going before a promotion board?

If a cadet is demonstrating long-term issues with passing the CPFT for their achievement (i/e: A cadet has failed the CPFT for three or four months in a row) then the Leadership Officer and squadron staff should be working with the cadet to make a plan to improve their performance in the necessary events.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Dutchboy

What I am trying to sayis If a cadet commander wants CPFT's brought up in review boards ( I think he wants to see cadets do more than "just passing" or "barely assing" all the time) , what is allowed and what is not.

jimmydeanno

It's not that big of a deal to bring it up.  If the person is having a hard time with PT, like it took the 5 tries to pass for that achievement, just suggest ways to improve - let them know you're concerned about their progress.  Ask if there is anything you can do.

But it would be ill-advised to deny promotion to the cadet that passed the test to CAPs standards but didn't meet the made up ones of your squadron. 
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Pylon

I suggest you take a look at the regulation on Promotion Review Boards and understand their purpose.

CAPR 52-16, Section 2-6, Paragraph D (my emphasis added with bold red numbers):
d. Promotion Boards. Although not required, units may hold promotion boards
(sometimes known as boards of review), (1)to help the commander decide if cadets are ready to
accept the increased responsibilities that come with their promotions.  (2)If used, promotion boards
must meet the following criteria:
(1) The commander (or commander's designee) must evaluate each cadet using a
CAPF 50.
(2) Promotion boards will not re-test cadets on material they already passed through
achievement tests.
(3) Commanders must apply local promotion board policies consistently, with all
cadets being subject to the same process.

(1)  The purpose of the promotion boards is to help the commander decide if the cadet is ready to accept increased responsibilities.  I don't see how PT fits into that.  Did they meet the nationally-set PT scores for their promotion?  If yes, move on.  A review board should be concerned with the intagiables that the tests don't measure:  how has a cadet's attendance been, are they reliable?  honest?  how is their attitude?  are they meeting the leadership expectations in CAPR 52-16 for a cadet in their phase?  are they demonstrating leadership abilities?  what are their goals?  etc.  That's what your review board should be focusing on.

(2)
If you hold a promotion board, you MUST by regulation use the CAP Form 50 as your evaluation tool.   Is there mention of Physical Fitness on those forms?  Nope. 
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: jimmydeanno on January 29, 2009, 02:52:15 AM
But it would be ill-advised to deny promotion to the cadet that passed the test to CAPs standards but didn't meet the made up ones of your squadron. 

That wouldn't even be allowed.  "Barely passing" is...wait for it...passing.

There are a few places where some subjectivity is left to the Commander (not the review board, btw) however actually denying a promotion based on an objective requirement being completed "not to your liking" is just asking for a sustained complaint.

"That Others May Zoom"

MIKE

^Under this:

Quote(2) Promotion boards will not re-test cadets on material they already passed through
achievement tests.
Mike Johnston

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Eclipse on January 29, 2009, 03:00:00 AM
There are a few places where some subjectivity is left to the Commander (not the review board, btw) however actually denying a promotion based on an objective requirement being completed "not to your liking" is just asking for a sustained complaint.

"ill-advised" was my way of saying "don't do it - you're asking for trouble."  But, like I said before, there is nothing wrong with putting an area of improvement as PT under the appropriate section on the CAPF 50.

Dutchboy

If cadets are fullfilling Squadron commitment (color guard presentation, ect.) to a community organization, and it happens to be during the scheduled CPFT, Can a Special Date for a chance to test, be setup outside of a squadron meeting to accomodate the cadets.

jimmydeanno

^ Absolutely.  The cadet doesn't even need to have it administered by a CAP person.  If the Sq. CC. approves they can have their gym teacher adminster the CPFT and send a note saying they completed it.

Quote from: CAPP 52-18
Test Administrators. The CPFT must be administered by a senior member, who need not be the unit's
testing officer; a CAP-USAF member; or with the unit commander's approval, a physical education teacher.
Cadets may assist in proctoring the CPFT under the supervision of the test administrator.

MIKE

Mike Johnston

SJFedor

Quote from: messofficer on January 29, 2009, 02:49:33 AM
What I am trying to sayis If a cadet commander wants CPFT's brought up in review boards ( I think he wants to see cadets do more than "just passing" or "barely assing" all the time) , what is allowed and what is not.

It's admirable that your C/CC wants to further improve the cadets under his command's CPFT scores. However, it's not a "letter grade" situation, where you gotta make a C to pass, but a B or A looks better.

It's pass/fail, and that's it.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Nathan

Indeed.

To tell the truth, given the general state of fitness among most cadet-aged youth in the US, to pass the PT, even at the early levels, is beyond the reach of many, and is impressive within itself.

Certainly increasing the fitness level of the squadron is a noble enough goal, but it is not the main mission of the cadet program. As long as the cadet is passing the goals set forth by the regulations, that is the end of the story so far as the promotion scheme goes.

I would recommend attempting for the award that is reviewed in the back of the PT book. Presidential Fitness award, isn't it? I believe it's awarded to the entire squadron, so if your C/CC wanted to get the whole squadron moving toward the "above and beyond" line of fitness, that might be a good way to motivate the cadets.
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.