O-ride pilot question

Started by flyguy06, June 27, 2008, 01:46:55 AM

DG

John,

I am interested in having a constructive and respectful dialogue about something as important as good landing technique.

I will send you my credentials in a personal message.

Thanks.

flynd94

I would love to see them also.  You can see some of mine in my sig line and, to what I alluded to in my last post.

Keith
Keith Stason, Maj, CAP
IC3, AOBD, GBD, PSC, OSC, MP, MO, MS, GTL, GTM3, UDF, MRO
Mission Check Pilot, Check Pilot

DG

Guys, can we be respectful here, one for the other?

References to Chuck Yeager and morons and ignorant and sarcastically saying you guess you are a bad pilot do not advance the contructive dialogue.

I did not call you or anyone a bad terrible pilot.  And I resent your references to ignorant or moron.

I was addressing the comment that someone had made about him or herself when they said they were having some bad landings.

You can fly down final at any airspeed you choose, and I will applaud you when you make a good landing.

If you are having trouble with your landings, that is a different story.  And in that case nothing will help you more than flying a stabilized approach down final.

flynd94

And what we are saying is, don't criticize a man till you walk a mile in his shoes.  If you fly from the right seat consistently, switching to the left will be a little interesting.  What we do as pilots (in the landing phase/last 50ft) is all sight picture/ an art.  When you move to the other seat, you lose that sight picture and, it becomes more difficult.  Add into that equation if you are CFI and, spend much of you time watching others/not doing.

The first time I jumped in the 182 after flying the jet/heavy iron was interesting.  I wanted to start my flare at 50ft.  The CAP CFI in the right seat was laughing his butt off.  He was a retired AF/Continental DC-10 pilot.  He told me that when he first started flying GA again, he would begin his flare at 100ft.

I have come to find out that if I fly the C182 quite a bit, my first landing in the ERJ is a little firm (sight picture and the feel of the flare).

Please share you flight experience so I can see where you are coming from.
Keith Stason, Maj, CAP
IC3, AOBD, GBD, PSC, OSC, MP, MO, MS, GTL, GTM3, UDF, MRO
Mission Check Pilot, Check Pilot

DG

I too have airline captains coming to me for transition back to Cessnas.

Flaring too high is one thing.  And forgeting to flare near the runway too.

Then when we deal with a good crosswind and revisit wing down into the wind with top rudder. 

Working hard one day with an Airbus driver to use the rudder in a Cessna while practicing landings in a stiff crosswind, he good naturedly expressed to me "Balls are for boys."

Then he said, "My FO on our flight to St Thomas tonight is gonna yell at me to get off of the rudder!"