Cadet Program Badge on golf Shirt

Started by smitjud, May 09, 2008, 09:31:49 PM

smitjud

Forgive me if this has already been mentioned, but a lot of stuff to dig through here.

Wanted to let everyone know that you can order the cadet program specialty badge on the CAP embroidered golf shirt now...

...it just might take a while to receive it.

March 31st (2008), I placed an order with Vanguard for a new embroidered golf shirt (mine is worn out).  Instead of having a drop down menu with all the specialty badges they have availiable, you had to type in your badge, so I typed in Cadet Programs, Senior.  Late the next week one of their reps called me to tell me they were sorry, they don't make that badge, that NHQ had not authorized them to make it but they could make any one of the badges on the long list they proceded to read me (which included about every badge made, except CP it seems).  I told them to go ahead and make me a shirt with the Ground Team Leader badge (even though I don't do much ES these days due to a conflict of interest in my job).

In the meantime, I called NHQ and talked to their Vanguard liasion.  She told me that Vanguard was incorrect and that NHQ had authorized them to make all badges availiable on the shirts.

I called Vanguard back, they told me this was news to them and that they would check on it, but even if it was authorized, it would still take some time (a few months) to digitize and prepare for production, so I stuck with the GTL shirt.

Vanguard then called me back later that day and said that they had verified what I found with NHQ, and would begin on making the CP badge immediately, that it should only take two weeks to digitize and put into production and asked if I wanted to wait a couple weeks for that - I told them definitely.

May 7th (2008),  over a month since my last contact with them, my order was still listed as pending in the system when I logged in to check.  I called them and asked what was up, they told me that I said I would wait for it to be digitized, to which I replied I was aware of but it was only suppossed to be a couple weeks, tops.  They proceded to tell me that they hadn't begun to digitize this yet, and there was no indication on  When they would begin and have this ready for production.  Went ahead and got the GTL shirt - tired of waiting.

Maybe if more people call inquiring about the CP shirt it will put some pressure on them to expedite and I can order the one I really want - which should be a popular design nationwide.
JUSTIN D. SMITH, Maj, CAP
ALWG

"You do not lead by hitting people over the head - that's assault, not leadership."

-Dwight D. Eisenhower

mikeylikey

But I don't like the CP badge.......
What's up monkeys?

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

mikeylikey

What's up monkeys?

PHall

mikeylikey

^ It matters to me, and that is all that matters   ;D
What's up monkeys?

jb512

Quote from: mikeylikey on May 09, 2008, 10:42:29 PM
But I don't like the CP badge.......

But some of us do... Especially us former cadets.

I'd never wear the golf shirt, but I do like the CP badge.

JC004

Don't get mikey started on a weekend.  He must be drunk by now, and you never know when he's going to start using these again:

btw, if anyone can get me one of these for my front lawn, that'd be great.   >:D

jb512

Yeah, yeah... we all know how drove up mikey can get...

mikeylikey

What's up monkeys?

jb512

It's ok... mikey and I are going to get liquored up one weekend and solve every single one of our problems....

No need to worry...

Gunner C

It always makes me a bit squeemish when CP folks start talking about golf shirts.  CP officers need to be in the same uniform as their cadets.

GC

JayT

Quote from: Gunner C on May 10, 2008, 10:46:18 AM
It always makes me a bit squeemish when CP folks start talking about golf shirts.  CP officers need to be in the same uniform as their cadets.

GC

I agree, but like almost all of our uniforms, the golf shirt has it's place.

If I was interacting with lets say.......a middle schools principle, I would definately rather be in the golf shirt or the blazer combination then my regular CSU or AF Service Dress.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

Tubacap

Good Point... I know a lot of educational administration that is very squimish about any sort of organization that is rooted in military bearing.

William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

Gunner C

Quote from: Tubacap on May 10, 2008, 01:54:28 PM
Good Point... I know a lot of educational administration that is very squimish about any sort of organization that is rooted in military bearing.

Then CAP is not for them.  Easy.

GC

JayT

Quote from: Gunner C on May 11, 2008, 11:58:43 PM

GC

Disagree. We need to be adjustable.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

RiverAux

GC

Correct.  CAP is based upon a military model and CAP cadets are almost always in a military uniform and if we are approaching a principal about doing a recruiting booth or something else at their school during which we would probably be in uniform, then we shouldn't try to hide that by trying to "civilianize" ourselves when discussing it with them.   

jb512

Quote from: JThemann on May 12, 2008, 12:15:47 AM

GC

But not to the point where we hide our affiliation with the military.  That is one of the largest parts of our cadet programs.

Tubacap

I think the operative word is when. 

If, as a senior member, you make initial contact with them in an softer uniform, and get the okay; then you can do the presentation in whichever uniform you like.

The key is knowing your audience and approaching them appropriately.
NER-PA-001

jb512

Well, I still disagree.  I don't see the blues or whites being a "hard" uniform, and should not be inappropriate to represent us.

Eclipse

Quote from: JThemann on May 12, 2008, 12:15:47 AM

GC

Spin again - the dilution of the program to pacify critics is one of the reasons we're in the condition we're in today.

There is no "adjustable" in the program - we are what we are.

Being "flexible" in hiding the military and paramilitary nature of the program(s) just sets up people to quit.

"That Others May Zoom"

jb512

And maybe I'm just naive, coming from a military family, but I've never seen being military as a negative thing.  If someone has issues with that, then there are plenty of other youth programs out there.

DNall

Quote from: Tubacap on May 12, 2008, 01:02:46 AM
I think the operative word is when. 

If, as a senior member, you make initial contact with them in an softer uniform, and get the okay; then you can do the presentation in whichever uniform you like.

The key is knowing your audience and approaching them appropriately.
If you actually do that... approach a principal in golf shirt, soft sell we're this AE based thing that'll bring math & science alive (even if you don't say that you know that's what they're thinking), yada yada... then you show up to do the actual recruiting wearing a real uniform... that's going to be VERY bad for relations.

Prep'ing the field before contact is fine. Establishing incorrect or even deceptive expectations that you fully intend to blow sky high is just bad business.

RiverAux

Exactly.  If you think the military side of CAP might be a negative in a particular situation, it is better to approach it head on and deal with it and perhaps change their perceptions. 

arajca

Continuing the drift...

The golf shirt is better to get in the door to prepare the ground work with most educators than the hard uniforms. I think the blazer is better than the golf shirt. Part of preparing the ground work is to explain what we wear and why.

DNall

I understand that. You don't want to scare the principal right at first, you want to sneak in under the wire & get up close before you put it out there. That may work, but IMO, it's deceitful & leads to bad relations.

The military have golf shirts for recruiters and there are times when you wear those, but it certainly would never be when talking to a school administrator. It's for more like on a weekend when you don't expect to see prospects, or after hours attending a sporting event of one of your prospects.

The cadet program is the MOST military aspect of CAP. Most cadets come in for that aspect of the program, much more so than ES or flying, though they may be drawn to those things after they get tired of marching. I fully believe you need to meet this head on. Many administrators are not comfortable with having military programs recruiting in their schools because we are at war & they don't want their innocent charges brainwashed at a young age into going off & getting killed. You have to address that issue, and not by underselling our program (not the military, not a pathway to the military, etc). The fact is we are related to the military and a very large percentage of the kids we work with do enter military service, in a lot of ways because of what we've done to shape their lives & beliefs. Regardless of intentions, that is true. When talking to scared parents or administrators, you have to deal with those issues with backbone, not by being a slick used car salesman that can be something different to each audience, and has an appropriate costume (uniform) for each of those situations. 

RiverAux

Frankly, if you think a particular school administrator might be a "problem", your best bet would probably be to go over their head to the school board (or equivalent) to give them a presentation about CAP and our programs and ask about going into schools under their jurisdiction.  Assuming you're not in San Francisco, this will probably get you access to every school in the district and there won't be much the principal will be able to do about it. 

Come to think of it, this would probably be the best approach whether or not you know you['ve got a anti-military principal to deal with. 

smitjud

Quote from: justin.smith on May 09, 2008, 09:31:49 PM
Forgive me if this has already been mentioned, but a lot of stuff to dig through here.

Wanted to let everyone know that you can order the cadet program specialty badge on the CAP embroidered golf shirt now...

...it just might take a while to receive it.

March 31st (2008), I placed an order with Vanguard for a new embroidered golf shirt (mine is worn out).  Instead of having a drop down menu with all the specialty badges they have availiable, you had to type in your badge, so I typed in Cadet Programs, Senior.  Late the next week one of their reps called me to tell me they were sorry, they don't make that badge, that NHQ had not authorized them to make it but they could make any one of the badges on the long list they proceded to read me (which included about every badge made, except CP it seems).  I told them to go ahead and make me a shirt with the Ground Team Leader badge (even though I don't do much ES these days due to a conflict of interest in my job).

In the meantime, I called NHQ and talked to their Vanguard liasion.  She told me that Vanguard was incorrect and that NHQ had authorized them to make all badges availiable on the shirts.

I called Vanguard back, they told me this was news to them and that they would check on it, but even if it was authorized, it would still take some time (a few months) to digitize and prepare for production, so I stuck with the GTL shirt.

Vanguard then called me back later that day and said that they had verified what I found with NHQ, and would begin on making the CP badge immediately, that it should only take two weeks to digitize and put into production and asked if I wanted to wait a couple weeks for that - I told them definitely.

May 7th (2008),  over a month since my last contact with them, my order was still listed as pending in the system when I logged in to check.  I called them and asked what was up, they told me that I said I would wait for it to be digitized, to which I replied I was aware of but it was only suppossed to be a couple weeks, tops.  They proceded to tell me that they hadn't begun to digitize this yet, and there was no indication on  When they would begin and have this ready for production.  Went ahead and got the GTL shirt - tired of waiting.

Maybe if more people call inquiring about the CP shirt it will put some pressure on them to expedite and I can order the one I really want - which should be a popular design nationwide.

So, a refreshing bit of news.  Apparently the folks at Vanguard actually read this message board.  I talked to them today, they had seen this post, have worked quicky to fix the problem (which turned out to be a corrupted file on the logo), and I'll have my shirt on Monday (with the CP badge). :clap:
ALWG

"You do not lead by hitting people over the head - that's assault, not leadership."

-Dwight D. Eisenhower

DNall

good for you. I'm not even saying I wouldn't get something like that. I would just NEVER wear it as a uniform & certainly not to meet with school officials. Now, wearing around or playing golf, yeah that's a much stronger possibility.

Tubacap

^not a big fan of golf... I prefer racquetball.
NER-PA-001

DNall

I'm really really bad at both. But golf is a lot better with a cooler of beer. You have to wait till after racket ball for that, and that just makes you a lush.

Tubacap

NER-PA-001

Hawk200

Quote from: DNall on May 14, 2008, 05:52:39 PM
I'm really really bad at both. But golf is a lot better with a cooler of beer. You have to wait till after racket ball for that, and that just makes you a lush.

Where's the ROTFL smiley when you need it?

DNall

See, I don't know if my golf game improves as I progress jointly thru the course & cooler, or if it's just that my ability to keep accurate score decreases. Again, advantage golf.  ;D

Hawk200

Quote from: DNall on May 14, 2008, 07:42:52 PM
See, I don't know if my golf game improves as I progress jointly thru the course & cooler, or if it's just that my ability to keep accurate score decreases. Again, advantage golf.  ;D

There's a local radio personality that said he used to drink when he played golf. He said he quit playing golf so that he could be a little more serious about his drinking. :D

Anyway, back to the original question on the badges: Has Vanguard made it known whether or not all badges will be available? Just curious, as a few people in my unit are interested in the golf shirt, and would like to show off their badges.

smitjud

Quote from: Hawk200 on May 14, 2008, 07:50:33 PM

Anyway, back to the original question on the badges: Has Vanguard made it known whether or not all badges will be available? Just curious, as a few people in my unit are interested in the golf shirt, and would like to show off their badges.

According to the Vanguard liasion at NHQ, all badges have been approved for production.  Whether or not vanguard has them ready for production is another case (the CP badge, case in point). 
ALWG

-Dwight D. Eisenhower

Hawk200

Quote from: justin.smith on May 14, 2008, 07:59:30 PM
According to the Vanguard liasion at NHQ, all badges have been approved for production.  Whether or not vanguard has them ready for production is another case (the CP badge, case in point). 

Approved I can appreciate, but more concerned about them being in production. Guess time will tell.

smitjud

They did have quite a long list of badges that were ready for production when I first tried to order the CP one.  Your best bet is probably to call them up and have them run down the list real quick.
ALWG

-Dwight D. Eisenhower

smitjud

So, Monday has come and gone and I didn't get my order as they promised.  The odyssey continues....
ALWG

-Dwight D. Eisenhower

RogueLeader

Quote from: JC004 on May 10, 2008, 04:18:15 AM
Don't get mikey started on a weekend.  He must be drunk by now, and you never know when he's going to start using these again:

btw, if anyone can get me one of these for my front lawn, that'd be great.   >:D

You should have asked beofre I left Sill.  I could have towed it to WV, about 45 min from Pittsburgh
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Duke Dillio

Quote from: RogueLeader on May 21, 2008, 04:04:27 AM
Quote from: JC004 on May 10, 2008, 04:18:15 AM

You should have asked beofre I left Sill.  I could have towed it to WV, about 45 min from Pittsburgh

Get a 109, then you don't have to tow it....

Back on topic, are there any written rules about the max number of badges you can have on the polo shirt?

smitjud

Not sure.  I THINK you can have two, but I'm not sure - don't think I've seen that in writing.

Update on my situation, my order arrived tuesday while I was out of town.  I got back home today.  Vanguard threw in some freebies as a peace offering.  My order still wasn't right though, my name wasn't on my shirt (and it was suppossed to be).  I guess they won't be open again until next Tuesday.  Will continue trying to get things right then.
ALWG

-Dwight D. Eisenhower

Duke Dillio

Quote from: smitjud on May 23, 2008, 11:45:42 PM
Not sure.  I THINK you can have two, but I'm not sure - don't think I've seen that in writing.

Update on my situation, my order arrived tuesday while I was out of town.  I got back home today.  Vanguard threw in some freebies as a peace offering.  My order still wasn't right though, my name wasn't on my shirt (and it was suppossed to be).  I guess they won't be open again until next Tuesday.  Will continue trying to get things right then.

Bastards.....

You'd think that they would have figured it out by now.  All right men and ladies, prepare to apply the NHQ solution for this.  Everyone go and fill out the survey so that we can say tried to do something about it but really didn't.  Vanguard shall continue because they give money back to CAP so we don't want to make them too mad because then we'd have to go out and find a quality vendor.