Main Menu

CLTC Ribbon

Started by Sergeant Rock, May 06, 2008, 05:58:54 PM

Sergeant Rock

A few cadets from the WV Wing (including myself) are trying to send a proposal for a CLTC ribbon through the CAC. If a ribbon is awarded for encampment, which requires no special knowledge or experience, why can't CLTC graduates receive an award for their accomplishments? Any thoughts? Agree or disagree, opinions wanted please.

Rock
Rock
Martinsburg Composite Squadron
The Beast From the East

jeders

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 06, 2008, 05:58:54 PM
A few cadets from the WV Wing (including myself) are trying to send a proposal for a CLTC ribbon through the CAC. If a ribbon is awarded for encampment, which requires no special knowledge or experience, why can't CLTC graduates receive an award for their accomplishments? Any thoughts? Agree or disagree, opinions wanted please.

Rock

I'm a little slow today, CLTC is?
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Sergeant Rock

Cadet Leadership Training Course. I don't know if all the wings have it or not.
Rock
The Beast From the East

mikeylikey

^ Is that like a CLS.....does WV award RCLS credit for it??

Doesn't COS/RCLS get a star on one of the Cadet Ribbons already??
What's up monkeys?

Sergeant Rock

Yes it's almost like COS and CLS, but there is no ribbon or star for it, I'm not sure about the credit.
Rock
The Beast From the East

DC

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 06, 2008, 06:13:49 PM
Yes it's almost like COS and CLS, but there is no ribbon or star for it, I'm not sure about the credit.
This is probably something limeted to WVWG. I doubt that National will approve a ribbon for just one wing. You could ask your Wing CC to approve a shoulder cord for graduates to wear within WVWG. That is far more likely to happen, and is just as (if not more) distinctive than a ribbon.

Sergeant Rock

O good idea. I never tought about that. I thought CLTC was a national thing, I guess not. Thanks for the info.
Rock
The Beast From the East

jeders

We having some similar things here in TXWG. We just use a shoulder cord.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

DC

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 06, 2008, 06:23:24 PM
O good idea. I never tought about that. I thought CLTC was a national thing, I guess not. Thanks for the info.
No, it's not a standardized thing, the only comparable national programs are RCLS and COS. Florida Wing does what is called Florida Leadership Academy, which has a program for each phase. I'm sure a lot of wings do something similar, but they are all probably run differently.

MIKE

If you market it as an RCLS ribbon using standard terminology... maybe, Better option IMO is to get recognized RCLS's NCSA credit even though they are technically region activities.  

... and/or bronze star instead of silver as for COS.
Mike Johnston

Pylon

Ask the wing commander to approve wear of a shoulder cord for cadet graduates of the activity.  The wing commander can authorize any color cord other than the ones already set aside for national use (kelly green, red, blue, yellow gold, metallic silver and white are the off-limits ones).  The authorization should be made in writing.

As Mike noted above, maybe you can propose a bronze star device for RCLS, if the cadet hasn't yet earned the silver star for COS.  But your activity isn't an RCLS.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

MIKE

That works too I guess... If we are talking some wing level leadership school(s).
Mike Johnston

Pylon

Quote from: MIKE on May 06, 2008, 06:35:41 PM
That works too I guess... If we are talking some wing level leadership school(s).

I think that the activity the original poster brought up  is some sort of wing-level activity that they run in WVWG, which is not an RCLS.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 06, 2008, 05:58:54 PMIf a ribbon is awarded for encampment, which requires no special knowledge or experience, why can't CLTC graduates receive an award for their accomplishments?

Let's be clear here, a proper encampment has a structured curriculum which is reviewed and approved by the State Director, and completion counts toward a cadet's Mitchell award.

It has a published standard, vetted by NHQ, and (in theory) is applied with relative consistency nationally.

At a minimum, your activity would need that level of oversight, and should be at least classified as an NCSA, before any sort of special decoration is attached to it.

There are local NCOA's, BCS', Officer Schools, and the like, with varying levels of value and consistency that do not get special decorations, why would this CLTC be any different?

"That Others May Zoom"

Bluelakes 13

Ditto everything Bob said.

And please, no more ribbons.  Our C/Captains, and higher, are starting to look like foreign generals.  Lets cut the wear of Achievement Ribbons, at least, before we add more ribbons.

/rant.

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: jkalemis on May 06, 2008, 07:22:53 PM
Ditto everything Bob said.

And please, no more ribbons.  Our C/Captains, and higher, are starting to look like foreign generals.  Lets cut the wear of Achievement Ribbons, at least, before we add more ribbons.

/rant.
Shoulder cords and other insignia, too. If there's a nationally standardized course, maybe an attachment to an existing ribbon would be fine, but there's just too much playing around going on with CAP insignia. Let's restrain ourselves.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

DNall

Some of these courses are far superior to anything NHQ has going. There really should be an effort to standardize & nationalize such cadet PME courses. At that point it would be appropriate to add a ribbon/devices. Until then, cords are appropriate for wing level courses.

Far as reducing ribbons, there are multiple proposals to drop achievements to just milestones after Mitchell. but, that's another subject.

lordmonar

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 06, 2008, 06:06:55 PM

If it is a week long leadership course that follows the basic requirments of an encampment....guess what.....it's an encampment.

No need for special ribbon.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Hawk200

Quote from: lordmonar on May 07, 2008, 07:27:06 PM
Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 06, 2008, 06:06:55 PM

If it is a week long leadership course that follows the basic requirments of an encampment....guess what.....it's and encampment.

No need for special ribbon.

Second.

DNall

He specifically said it was not. I understand it to be a cadet PME course, like we run here & several other places. Ours are one wknd, and certainly don't cover the mandatory encampment material. They are arguablly more valuable than encampment though.