Wing-level authority to make uniform changes

Started by Eclipse, May 01, 2008, 04:24:54 PM

Eclipse

There was an assertion made in another thread that Wing Commanders have the authority to make local uniform changes as they see fit.

In my opinion this is an oversimplification of the situation.

I would put forth:

1) Any localized changes require national approval as a supplement to 39-1, and that approval and supplement must be subsequently published accordingly.

2) Any localized changes to a part of the USAF-style uniform require not only NHQ approval but USAF approval as well (i.e. T-Shirt colors, berets, etc.).

3) Wing CC's do not have the authority to loosen regulations locally, only make them more strict, nor
can they allow for the use of a uniform item specifically prohibited in national regulations.

4) Any localized changes are applicable only within the sphere of authority (AOR) of the respective commander publishing the supplement, and when members participate in activities outside that AOR they must comply fully with national uniform specifications regardless of the expense or effort in complying.

Baseball hats &. t-shirts appear to be the place where this is the main point of discussion.  39-1 has specific indications regarding local prescriptions of baseball caps over certain uniform combinations, within a fairly rigid guideline for design.  On t-shirts, however, if it very specific as to the colors allowed under a respective uniform with no apparent latitude to choose alternate colors (regardless of justification).

The only latitude I can discern is in the design affixed to the shirt, and even in that there is some prescription and limitations.

Quote from: CAPM 39-1, Page 13 Table 1-3, 1
Wing/region commanders may authorize certain items to be worn for specific purposes within their respective wing/region or within specific units of their wing/region. Commanders will not use this authority to circumvent National polices. Examples of purposes of these items are to identify members of special CAP groups such as drill teams, bands, color guards, and members participating in emergency services' missions.

I'll grant that part in orange may provide the argument for colored shirts during ES-only, however the below is the rest of the story:

Quote from: CAPM 39-1, Page 13 Table 1-3, 2
In all cases, these items will have no national significance or recognition as a part of the CAP uniform. They will not be worn at summer encampments or national events (cadet exchange, special activities, etc.), unless specifically authorized by National Headquarters. They may be worn only while performing the duty for which the use of the items was authorized. Wing/region approved items will be worn only within the boundaries of the authorizing commander.

"That Others May Zoom"

davidsinn

Beat me to it Eclipse  ;) http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=4756.msg95371#msg95371 That's the relevant thread. I totally agree with Eclipse.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

MIKE

Wasn't there an agenda item the passed the last NB on the subject...  My impression was that it basically put Table 1-3 et al on its head, which is a bad thing IMHO.
Mike Johnston

lordmonar

The regulations make it clear that commanders have very little lattitude on what they can or cannot change or approve.

Having said that....we have a defacto policy that allows wing commanders to make a lot of uniform changes.

PAWG and CAWG come to mind right off (I'm not bashing just illistrating).

Since little or no effort was made by region or national to stop these practices....it becomes an unoffical policy for any wing commander to make any changes they want.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Gunner C

Quote from: lordmonar on May 01, 2008, 04:56:40 PM
The regulations make it clear that commanders have very little lattitude on what they can or cannot change or approve.

As it should be.

MIKE

Quote from: MIKE on May 01, 2008, 04:53:17 PM
Wasn't there an agenda item the passed the last NB on the subject...  My impression was that it basically put Table 1-3 et al on its head, which is a bad thing IMHO.

According to the May NEC Agenda, it's up for further discussion.
Mike Johnston

DNall

the only discussion it should be up for is to make it more strict.

JoeTomasone

From the Knowledge Base:

Question
     Under what authority may a Wing Commander issue a supplement to a regulation, and what guidelines define what may or may not be altered by supplement? For example, if the regulations make something optional, can a Wing supplement make it mandatory?

Answer

Requirements and procedures for issuing supplements are covered in Paragraph 3 (see below) of  CAPR 5-4.  As far as a wing supplement making something optional mandatory, that would be up to the wing commander and subject to review by the region commander within the guidelines of the regulations.

CAP REGULATION 5-4 PUBLICATIONS AND FORMS MANAGEMENT   5 FEBRUARY 2007

3. Supplements, Operating Instructions (OI) and Pamphlets. Supplements, OIs and pamphlets may be issued by any level of command unless specifically limited or prohibited by the regulation or manual governing the publication's subject matter. See attachment 1 and attachment 2 for proper formats. The following responsibilities relate to the management of supplements, OIs and pamphlets:
a. Commanders.
(1) Commanders are encouraged to keep the number of publications issued by their headquarters to the absolute minimum needed for mission accomplishment and must promptly rescind those publications that are no longer needed or have been superseded. When the parent publication of a supplement or OI is revised/reissued, commanders must ensure the supplement or OI is revised and re-approved, if required, or rescinded with 6 months of the new parent publication's issue. Publications will not conflict with higher headquarters directives. Commanders must also ensure that when publishing supplements operating instructions and pamphlets that the content only pertains to those personnel within his/her purview. In addition, a copy of each publication must be forwarded to the next higher level of command for review immediately upon publication.
(2) Some regulations and manuals require NHQ approval of all supplements or operating instructions pertaining to that publication (e.g.: CAPR 60-1, CAPR 173-2, etc.). Commanders will ensure such approvals are received prior to issuing the supplements or operating instruction. All supplements or OIs pertaining to Air Force Assigned Missions (i.e., CAPR 60-1, CAPR 60-3, CAPR 173-3, etc.) requiring NHQ approval must be coordinated with the State Director, CAP-USAF Liaison Region, and the CAP Region prior to submission to NHQ for approval. When such a proposed supplement or operating instruction is received at National Headquarters, NHQ staff will, within 60 days, review it and will take one of the following actions:
(a) Approve the supplement.
(b) Provide detailed feedback to the submitting unit as to why it cannot be approved/what changes are needed prior to approval.
(c) Provide the reasons for any delay and a specific date, within 120 days of receipt of the proposed supplement, by which one of the two preceding actions will be accomplished.