Starching the BDU cover

Started by maverik, April 25, 2008, 11:04:22 PM

maverik

I was wondering how to startch your BDU cover? and get it to look "blocked" and crisp.
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT
"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking." Ferdinand Foch at the Battle of the Marne

lordmonar

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

maverik

how you iron it? Do you fold it?
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT
"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking." Ferdinand Foch at the Battle of the Marne

Stonewall

Get your BDU cap wet, like soaking wet.

Form it how you want it to look.

Spray starch on it and let it dry.

Or, better yet, don't use starch because that's too much effort.
Serving since 1987.

Brad

Me personally, I picked up a BDU hat shaper at the AAFES uniform store. it's an adjustable-diameter aluminum tube that you fit your hat over. Expand the diameter to stiffen out the hat, apply starch or spray sizing, let dry, and you're done.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

maverik

KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT

DC

I have never starched my cover. I just place the side over the narrow point on an ironing board and iron it down.

mikeylikey

You guys really starch your covers??  hmmm
What's up monkeys?

Brad

Quote from: mikeylikey on April 26, 2008, 01:45:18 AM

Yep. With a fresh starch, you can fold it up in your cargo pocket, then take it back out, a quick flick to unfold, and tada! Instant reform of on-head shape, no crush-folds
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

shorning

I just wear a coffee can on my head.  Much cheaper and a bit easier... :P

PHall

It's not hard to tell who here wears BDU covers all of the time vs just for CAP.

You go on just about any military base where BDU's/ACU's/ABU's are worn and you won't find many, if any, starched covers.

Stonewall

Quote from: PHall on April 26, 2008, 02:49:38 AM
You go on just about any military base where BDU's/ACU's/ABU's are worn and you won't find many, if any, starched covers.

[sarcasm]I starched my beret.[/sarcasm]

Although I haven't worn my ABU cap yet, I like the material better than the BDU cover.  I've never starched or formed a BDU cap, but I never really liked how they didn't hold their intended form very well.
Serving since 1987.

CASH172

Doesn't anyone follow the manufacturer's instruction to not starch.

Stonewall

Quote from: CASH172 on April 26, 2008, 03:01:40 AM
Doesn't anyone follow the manufacturer's instruction to not starch.

I never starched, not even in the Army while in the Old Guard.  I just ironed or had them pressed with steam.  Always said "no starch".  I just can't stand the way starch feels.
Serving since 1987.

tjaxe

Mikeylikey,
You're a PA guy, right? Do you wear the orange hat thingie or do you wear a BDU cover? Are BDU covers allowed in PA or do we HAVE to wear the orange hat? (BTW - this isn't meant to open a can of worms. PA's got more important *stuff* to deal with than orange hats. Just wondering if I'm allowed to wear the bdu cover.)   :angel:

- Tracey, Captain
Public Affairs Officer, Professional Development, Logistics: NER-PA-160

JoeTomasone

Given that the regs state that the BDU cover is to be placed in your cargo pocket when not in use, starching seems to be a waste of time to me.

mikeylikey

Quote from: tjaxe on April 26, 2008, 03:45:14 AM

Mikeylikey,
You're a PA guy, right? Do you wear the orange hat thingie or do you wear a BDU cover? Are BDU covers allowed in PA or do we HAVE to wear the orange hat? (BTW - this isn't meant to open a can of worms. PA's got more important *stuff* to deal with than orange hats. Just wondering if I'm allowed to wear the bdu cover.)   :angel:

Orange of course (even though I hate it), but I have BDU covers for when I leave the great state of Independence (Pennsylvania).  Al Applebaum (previous Wing King) gave a verbal order that members are to wear Orange ball caps, but may purchase BDU covers for wear outside the Wing. 

Before you joined there was a HUGE mess when PAWG members went to work the McGuire Airshow in New Jersey and violated the North East Regions orders for everyone to wear BDU Covers.

I would love to get away from the orange ballcaps, and wear what the rest of the organization wears. 

What's up monkeys?

Duke Dillio

If you starch your BDU cap, you can't "Ranger Roll" it or crush it up.....

Geez, haven't you guys learned anything from those guys on the mountain?

DNall

I have starched mine, but I'll agree with whoever it was said they don't like the feel of starch. I normally just wet form it. Don't like to iron it either unless I have to. That kind of thing isn't done in the Army. We wear berets for nice looking days, and PCs for the field. If I were wearing in a PC for nice looking garrison service, then I'd block it. Which is why the AF does it.

CASH172

Quote from: mikeylikey on April 26, 2008, 04:49:22 AM
Before you joined there was a HUGE mess when PAWG members went to work the McGuire Airshow in New Jersey and violated the North East Regions orders for everyone to wear BDU Covers.

I remember that one.  Outta curiosity, is PAWG allowed to participate this year given the situation?

Tags - MIKE