Encampment Ribbon

Started by skippytim, April 20, 2008, 09:07:16 PM

skippytim

Is there paperwork you have to fill out at the squdron after encampment to wear your encampment ribbon, or can you wear it the moment you get your certificate of completion?

Stonewall

Wear it as soon as you graduate encampment, then check with your personnel officer to make sure it's in your file.  I don't think I ever filled out a CAPF 2a for encampment ribbons, we just photocopied their certificate and put it in the file.  Not sure what the official reg is, but that's what we did.

Plus, many encampments actually put the ribbon in your hand when you graduate.
Serving since 1987.

MIKE

CAPF 2A Request for and Approval of Personnel Action III. AWARD OF ACTIVITY AND SERVICE RIBBONS (CAPR 39-3)

Quote from: CAPR 39-319. Administration Procedures for Award of Activity
and Service Ribbons. The individual member is
responsible for preparing and submitting to the unit
commander CAP Form 2a, Request for and Approval of
Personnel Actions, when the requirements for an activity
or service ribbon have been completed. The CAP Form
2a is then forwarded by the unit commander to the
appropriate approving authority. (If the unit commander
has been delegated approving authority by the wing
commander as outlined in paragraph 17b, the unit
commander simply approves the form and returns it to
the recipient.) Upon approval, activity and service
ribbons are purchased by the awarding unit or by the
individual recipient, as appropriate.
Mike Johnston

SarDragon

I got mine in conjunction with the completion letter. No 2a. When I sent a copy of the letter to NHQ to get my record updated, they accepted it.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Flying Pig

When I graduated as a cadet back in 1988, the Flt Comm pinned on on everybody after graduation.  Of course, I think ribbons were only 25 cents back then.  Then the cert. was just placed in the file.

Pylon

Encampments who use the CAP Encampment Management System can automatically generate a CAPF 2A for all personnel completing the encampment with just a few clicks.

The encampment should then simply add the CAPF 2A to the graduation packet the member receives (which often includes their certificate, memory book, contact info sheets, etc.).  Members file it with their home squadron and voilĂ : Credit for encampment completion and authorization to wear the ribbon.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Eclipse

I publish the Form 20 to all unit CC's with members involved.

I then leave it up to them locally as to whether or not to generate 2a's.

"That Others May Zoom"

mikeylikey

What's up monkeys?

PHall

CAWG does a PA that has all of the graduates names on it and the Wing Commander signs it.
It's included in everybodies graduation packet. No action needed by the individual cadets or their squadrons.

CadetProgramGuy

LAst encampement I attended we printed off authorization letters for all members stating completion of the encampment.

Hawk200

I think this is a good example of why we should track decs online. It would also be a simple matter of someone on wing staff being able to update stuff online.

Add an application that allows a person to select "Encampment Ribbon" (or similar award), and then just select or add names for a mass update. All the members could be loaded prior to the encampment, and then just updated once the encampment completes.

Anyone could print out their page of decs on e-Services for proof of what they have.

Eclipse

Encampment ribbons are one of the few that are tracked in eServices, for both cadets and seniors.

When I issue my Form 20's, it includes a separate page for seniors.

"That Others May Zoom"

BlackKnight

A relevant question:

Are senior members allowed to wear the encampment ribbon and devices they earned as a cadet?  CAPR 39-3 paragraph 20.e seems unclear on the matter, as are the CAP knowledgebase archives.

What say you bling experts?    ;D

Edit: 
I just found this thread http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=4092.msg79029#msg79029 which provides an unofficial answer.
Phil Boylan, Maj, CAP
DCS, Rome Composite Sqdn - GA043
http://www.romecap.org/

Hawk200

Quote from: BlackKnight on May 01, 2008, 07:38:43 PM
A relevant question:

Are senior members allowed to wear the encampment ribbon and devices they earned as a cadet?  CAPR 39-3 paragraph 20.e seems unclear on the matter, as are the CAP knowledgebase archives.

What say you bling experts?    ;D

It's authorized for all members, so it's wear continues from cadet to senior. For additional attachments, you have to meet the requires for a senior, otherwise there's nothing different.

BlackKnight

^ Thanks!
The former cadets in my unit obviously agree with you.   ;)
Phil Boylan, Maj, CAP
DCS, Rome Composite Sqdn - GA043
http://www.romecap.org/

Hawk200

Quote from: BlackKnight on May 01, 2008, 07:48:51 PM
^ Thanks!
The former cadets in my unit obviously agree with you.   ;)

It's nice to know they have it correct. Unfortunately, there are many people that feel that the "highest earned ribbon as a cadet" applies to all ribbons earned as a cadet. I've met a few people that gave other members a great deal of hassle about stuff they had, to include mil decs and badges that were specifically authorized in 39-1.

Until we get both 39-1 and 39-3 straightened out, we're still gonna have these issues. Then again, we'd probably have fewer issues if people deigned to actually read all the pubs that apply.